DURA ACE 7800 STI SHIFTER TUNING?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

You can swap out the handlebar clampbands for the newer titanium ones. They say quite a bit of weight, though they are kinda pricey.

Or you can swap them out for the BTP carbon ones.

quattrings

by quattrings

I know I can shed a good deal of weight by replacing the clamps, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on the sti project anymore. If I hit the 400g mark I'll be satisfied. It should be attainable with the standard clamp bands.

Thanks for the tip though.
Anybody want to weight the 7900 clamp bands for reference, then I'll weigh the 7800 ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

Got more work done today. Almost reached the goal but with potential to lose more weight. I ditched the shift lever bumpers which saved .8 grams, functionally nothing has changed. So far I've lost 23 grams
2013-2-1_18.8.41 by Quattrings, on Flickr

Steel clamp weighing in at 8.2 grams
2013-2-1_18.8.19 by Quattrings, on Flickr
2013-2-1_18.8.10 by Quattrings, on Flickr

I'm hoping the drilling I did on the plastic body in this area will add some slight flex to the hoods.
2013-2-1_18.7.55 by Quattrings, on Flickr

Next I'll order some Ti bolts from torronto cycles and get to work shaving them to fit the clamps. My prognosis is this will save an additional 3 grams. Standard bolts are 6.5 and the specific mass of Ti is about 55% of that.

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

In the past, I have given consideration to producing a two-piece split carbon fiber hood to replace the rubber hood on brake levers. But I am very concerned it would be too slippery...especially when it gets moistened...