Orbea Orca or Onix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campymatt

by campymatt

Does anyone have any feedback from the Orbea Onix yet? I'm 195lbs, and will be riding a 57 frame. The Orbea rep states that the Onix would make a better crit bike due to it's greater stiffness, (at a weight penalty of course). I have had to return the new frame I received from another manufacturer, and the price is about equal to the Orca, so cost isn't really the factor. If I got the Onix, I'd spend the extra cash on a set of Zero-G brakes. We live in a moderatly hilly area, but most of my races are two hours or under.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cycles

by cycles

There has been a discussion on the Onix before.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... light=onix

The dutch magazine has tested the bike and the stiffness values weren't that impressive.

Coolhand

by Coolhand

Howdy,

I ride an Orca at 181 pounds and it is pretty stiff for crits. We also have another Orca and a Onix on our club team and both riders are pleased. When I talked to the national sales coordinator at Orbea-Usa he said that both frames are very close in stiffness (as the Orca was stiffened in the BB area for 05), but that the Orca uses more the expensive HM Carbon Fiber to do it, making it lighter but also more expensive.

So basically, you are trading money for weight savings if you go with the Orca.

The bike handles high speed corners pretty well and has a really nice ride quality, which pays dividends on crappy courses.

Hope that helps.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

campymatt

by campymatt

That helps a bit. Do you have any idea as to the actual weight of the Onix (or larger Orcas)? Orbea seems to understate their frame weights by a fair amount.

We have a pretty killer team-deal for Orbea, which is why my choice lies between the two.

A final choice....

Orca frame, older Campy Record brakes
or
Onix frame, Zero-G brakes
:?:

Boonen

by Boonen

I would go with the Orca frame and add the brakes later. The frame is lighter and should be a bit stiffer as well.

big fellow

by big fellow

coming in at a svelte 185 pounds, I have been on an orca for the last 6 months - I have had no problem with stiffness, although I can't compare to the onix

incidentally I have zero g on my orca, they will work fine with either one

good luck with the choice!

Coolhand

by Coolhand

campymatt wrote:That helps a bit. Do you have any idea as to the actual weight of the Onix (or larger Orcas)? Orbea seems to understate their frame weights by a fair amount.

We have a pretty killer team-deal for Orbea, which is why my choice lies between the two.

A final choice....

Orca frame, older Campy Record brakes
or
Onix frame, Zero-G brakes
:?:

I believe the Onix is at least 200 grams (if not more) heavier. I would go with the Orca with the Record brakes, which still are pretty reasonably light. Later down the line you can upgrade to Zero Gravities (and keep the Record's to swap back on if you later sell the bike).
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Should be a weight for a 51cm Orca in the WW listings... I submitted mine which came in at 1175g I think vs. the claimed 1000g. V. Happy with my Orca.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com