1x11 for road/circuit racing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

Anyone running a 1x set up yet? One of my friends just built an Aithein with Force 1 and I'm sorely tempted to do the same on mine
for spring (although it hurts to leave Campy...) I really can't see a reason for not doing it, especially for crit racing.

If no one has said it yet, I'm saying now. Give it two years and it'll be as common as 2x for amateur racing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

If you don't have long climbs there won't be a problem going 1x.

If you know the speeds you need to reach (check Strava recordings of the crits you race) and your max cadence, just play around here: http://ritzelrechner.de/

I'm thinking about building up an allroad bike with 1x and I'll be going with a single 36 or 38 ring up front which will let me reach 45 kph, enough for medium speed group rides. Anything from 46 to 50 should work for most races, and with a wide-range cassette you can still climb.

Devon

by Devon

Oh, you can easily achieve the same range as a standard compact setup, no question about that.

For allroad/gravel/cx there's absolutely no question about going to 1x. I'd go for something a bit bigger than 38 up front though? I'm not a fan of turning a small ring though. Personal preference as always.

Devon

by Devon

Also before someone else points out, I just found the other post relating to this. Sorry!

Multebear

by Multebear

If you are going to run a 53 in the front, then no problem. If not, everyone else will have bigger gears than you, which will cripple you in a sprint finish.

You mention, that you dont se any reason not to do it. I dont se any reason to do it. Are you going to change your setup for hilly training or races afterwords? Or do you have a different bike for those occassions?

IMHO the new 1 chainring setup is purely marketing. They want to sell you some new stuff. There is absolutely no reason to do it. And the saved weight is margins....

Devon

by Devon

Honestly it was on my radar before they made it a 'thing'.

52/40 gives you a lower ratio than 39/25, so actually better for climbing. And you're only missing out on one tooth for sprinting, for which I'd drop to an 11t from a 12t on the rear block to compensate.

Marin

by Marin

Multebear wrote:53 in the front... will have bigger gears than you... cripple you in a sprint finish.

If you regularly have 75kph sprint finishes, this is true!

However, if you don't have your own lead-out train, your sprint will be fine with quite a bit less then a 53 up front :D

Just look at the data you have available and do the math.

Devon

by Devon

Ha ha yeah, not sure if I've ever used my 12t in a sprint finish - then again I've never had time to think about it.

junchen

by junchen

Any idea if running a force 1 or rival 1 would be lighter than ultegra 6800? Still trying to decide which groupset to put for my second bike. Riding terrain is pretty flat and thus I reckon 1x would be sufficient,and lighter.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Yup one of my customers built #critVagen
He's won a few races on it too. Such a bad ass bike

Devon

by Devon

junchen wrote:Any idea if running a force 1 or rival 1 would be lighter than ultegra 6800? Still trying to decide which groupset to put for my second bike. Riding terrain is pretty flat and thus I reckon 1x would be sufficient,and lighter.

My friend who runs a mix of rival 1 and XTR reckons it's on par with double Red.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=136257

Marin

by Marin

A clutch derailleur (if you use one) is tons heavier than a standard Red or Force one.

Devon

by Devon

Oh wow, that vagen is incredible!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

XTR mech is 185g I think before tuning which is not that much more and you do loose the inner chainring, front mech and cable so a net weight saving.

I would do it to if a narrow wide chainring where done in road sizes. Oh wait it out in 50T 110 BCD http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/prod ... chainrings

Well I think I be going 1x11 as when I am racing I dont use the inner ring anyway.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I run 1x11 on my roadbike. 48T oval/ 11-32 cassette. Haven´t race on this setup yet though.
130BCD NW Garbaruk chainring
Ultegra RD

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com