My BH G5 Review !

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Koballa87

by Koballa87

Great looking bike, I'm glad to hear how well it rides.

-Cheers

aerozy

by aerozy

I guess this is WW's so understandably the +200gr is all that people can talk about. But as you say you dont mind that and I wouldnt either with such a good looking bike. Excelent build that matches perfectly with those Reynolds wheels! :up: Now if only you could paint that red stripe on the 3T stem to match the frame! That would be perfection on wheels :thumbup:
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marcusp

by marcusp

if the thing is strong / well made / rides well / will be durable and weighs 1000g, then why dont BH say so? OK, I understand that weight is an important selling point with high-end bikes / frames but if they've done their research and found that the "best" frame they can put together for that market sector weighs 1000g then why not say so? if they think (as they must do) that an extra 200g makes for a better all round ride, then why not tell us why that is and leave it to us to make our decision based on that information? just plucking a fantasy figure out of the air might bag them a couple of sales from early adopters, but as soon as a post like this surfaces those that are motivated by weight (most people on WW) will spend their $$$ elsewhere.
they could have followed Cannondale's lead where they stopped quoting a weight and explained why that was; basically saying "pop down to your LBS, pick it up, test it, then decide". i have more respect for that approach than the fantasy weight one, even if the G5 is a great ride.

Stats

by Stats

I agree with marcusp.

Personally, when i am looking to buy a new frameset, one of the factors that carries the least weight with me is how much the frame weighs (pun intended). There are plenty of other areas to shave weight and the frame that takes my fancy needs to tick more boxes than just being under a certain weight. The frame is the heart of a bike and a very large contributor to the ride and handling. If you pick SRAM Red over Force, or 7900 over 6700 and lighter bars and stems you can often take off more weight than the difference between a light or 'heavy' frameset. Sure, people will argue that if you get light components AND a light frame then that's where it's at - but only if you're building it to weigh the bike and brag about it, or genuinely like the way some light bikes feel to ride...

A light wheelset 'feels' lighter than a few grams in a frameset - I completely understand anyone getting annoyed at the false claims to light weight, but this bike can hardly be called heavy...

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Saw it today. Not really anything special IMO. It looks better on pics than in real life, and as it has a very glossy finish the matte Reynolds wheels does not fit that good. A set of Boras would look much better.

Bensamz

by Bensamz

Bike companies weigh their bikes before painting. The difference between the weight quoted and the actual weight will always be a couple hundred grams, as paint is heavy. The BH is as advertised, as are most bikes. BH states clearly on their site that they weigh before painting.

I'm no BH shill, but I learned this myself when I weighed a bike that appeared to be overweight.

aeroslave

by aeroslave

marcusp wrote:if the thing is strong / well made / rides well / will be durable and weighs 1000g, then why dont BH say so? OK, I understand that weight is an important selling point with high-end bikes / frames but if they've done their research and found that the "best" frame they can put together for that market sector weighs 1000g then why not say so? if they think (as they must do) that an extra 200g makes for a better all round ride, then why not tell us why that is and leave it to us to make our decision based on that information? just plucking a fantasy figure out of the air might bag them a couple of sales from early adopters, but as soon as a post like this surfaces those that are motivated by weight (most people on WW) will spend their $$$ elsewhere.
they could have followed Cannondale's lead where they stopped quoting a weight and explained why that was; basically saying "pop down to your LBS, pick it up, test it, then decide". i have more respect for that approach than the fantasy weight one, even if the G5 is a great ride.

Because the majority that can and will buy this frameset/bike are weight weenies...
"Light bike? Its still about the engine!".

range
Shop Owner

by range

Good review.

Manufacturers can claim whatever they want, but at the end of the day, when I purchase a frame, I weight it in the shop beforehand. That in turn influences my decision. Doesn't work on the internet though!
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Mario Jr. wrote:Saw it today. Not really anything special IMO. It looks better on pics than in real life, and as it has a very glossy finish the matte Reynolds wheels does not fit that good. A set of Boras would look much better.

Not to p**s on anyones bonfire, but I thought the same thing when I saw it.

It looks nice, but not THAT nice. It was next to a ´dale´supersix which had a finish that just blew the G5 away. Weight and colourscheme being of course much more important to this forum than things like how does it ride. :roll:
"I saw you with elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" - Ode to Anthony H Wilson

range
Shop Owner

by range

Leviathan, I kind of agree. I didn't spend enough time examining the bike though.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

Do you happen to know if the BH G5 seatpost will work with the Fizik braided carbon rails?

elviento

by elviento

In fact I thought Pinarello is hammered the most on this website for weight underclaiming.

spartan wrote:why is everyone so hard on BH. most european brands always exaggerate on weights.

pinarello dogma $5500 super exotic carbon frame claimed weight is 850gm for a 54cm. in reality painted it weighs >1050. but no one is bitching. italians alway get a free pass

CharlesM

by CharlesM

OLD THREAD.

Guys if you read back in this, take it as it comes. BH finish is better now on this bike than it was. No idea on weight.

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

PezTech wrote:OLD THREAD.

I know it's old. I dug it up asking about an entirely different issue (using a fizik carbon railed saddle with the seatpost.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flyingfrenchman

by Flyingfrenchman

I will have to do a update of that review

The wheels are now Lightweight Standard III

As for the fizik I don't think it will be a Isues I have Carbon rails on the SLR but they are not as big as the Fizik. If the groove are to small it will be easy to file the aluminum of the clamp but I dont think that you will need to.