My BH G5 Review !

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Flyingfrenchman

by Flyingfrenchman

Hi wennies

I will try to describe my new G5, and again English is a second language so bare in mind that my writhing is not as fluent and free of mistake.

Frame fit and finish: on par with all big company like Specialized, Giant, Trek but a notch below LOOK but so much better then Cervelo.

Details: Better then the 3 big above you can see the marble carbon effect throw the clear and you can see a fine line where the different carbon peace where welded just a stunning bike this is a head turner.

First impression: Fluid line you forget how big the head tube is and the down tube (when I look at the headset bottom bearing I say gezz this is big)

weight not as light as advertise frame 56 cm (medium) 1096 gr - 94 gr BB cups and bearing = 1002 gr this is with the derailleur hanger how much this weight ??? More then 2 gr so the frame is bellow 1000 gr

I will post pictures with the different weight

Positive: fit and finish, look, details, and the design and line as the all bike look like one not piece put together

Negative: seat post adjustment ok but not amazing great seat post clamp (but use a torque wrench because you wont find one at the LBS) no barrel adjustment for fine tuning.

My total built is 13.5 lbs

The ride I started to be sceptical because someone in this forum says that the money was better spent elsewhere

But this is my take I’ am a Cat 1-2 rider 5'10'' 158-160lbs a guy that does not excel at anything but I can do everything pretty well

Fist impression out of the saddle gently pushing the pedals is wow this is solid I start laughing I could not believe how solid it was and this going 20 km/h out of my street

Warm-up going 30-35 km/h just spinning the legs no tension was this thing absorb very very well the road imperfection the are kind of muted you feel them but just dial down from the usual.

My fist sprint in the drop is woooo gezzzzz this thing just want to got the front end is something else probably will become a reference

On flat pushing the pedals for 10 km at 40-45 km/h this thing hold speed

Up the hills this bike is where it's at home could not believe the difference 0.5 degrees make

Nimble this bike is the best comparison at my opinion is with a car I fell like I’ am driving my Mini Cooper S not my Porsche but my Mini. I feel comfortable with this and for me I feel more secure with something that reacts so quickly but securely as a Mini. (Do not to make a car debate but I hope this help to understand)

I’ am so glad I made the jump without any test ride.

The bike look beautiful and ride equally well for my type of riding if you are more Audi S8 look elsewhere.
Attachments
DSC_0058.jpg
DSC_0060.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg
DSC_0048.jpg
DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0051.jpg
DSC_0052.jpg
DSC_0054.jpg
DSC_0056.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marcusp

by marcusp

thanks for the report. the weight is a lot more than claimed; i remember sub 900g weights being quoted. that's disappointing but the rest of it seems positive.

53x12

by 53x12

Love the build! Too bad it is so much over weight. Still looks like an amazing bike.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

jediknights

by jediknights

smart man using the cannondale cranks. the bike is going to be nuts when u put a nice set of tubular's on there, u could take off another pound.
Theforcetraining.com

djconnel

by djconnel

I would be seriously, seriously pissed with that weight number after seeing numbers thrown around like 800 grams.

Willier

by Willier

Can you tell me please what is that bar tape on your bh.Thx

1centaur

by 1centaur

djconnel wrote:I would be seriously, seriously pissed with that weight number after seeing numbers thrown around like 800 grams.

BH had better watch out - they'll get a reputation on weight claims like Deda and then telling the truth will be useless.

Flyingfrenchman

by Flyingfrenchman

Yes weight is not what I was expected but the bike feel so solid and I'am at a level that I prefer a few grams to get that feel.

For the bar tape I use Lizard Skins with Sram handle bar end ( like the Red + the are reflective ) days are getting shorter... even if they are 1 gr each more then the Lizard Skin one

Stats

by Stats

I don't know what everyone else is so disappointed about - i'd personally be stoked if i built a new bike, using solid, reliable components and it came in at 6.1kg...

Very nice :thumbup:

53x12

by 53x12

Stats wrote:I don't know what everyone else is so disappointed about - i'd personally be stoked if i built a new bike, using solid, reliable components and it came in at 6.1kg...

Very nice :thumbup:

Guess you're not everyone else. ;) :welcome: to WW.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

fast700c

by fast700c

You obviously dont like much setback on your saddle. Seems very far forward?
I think your thoughts on the front end are fairly common with bikes with the new oversized steerers. It seems like that is one advancement that isn't just marketing.
I cant believe how solid the front end of my new bike is (not BH).
Nice looking bike, and welcome.

Dan23

by Dan23

1centaur wrote:
djconnel wrote:I would be seriously, seriously pissed with that weight number after seeing numbers thrown around like 800 grams.

BH had better watch out - they'll get a reputation on weight claims like Deda and then telling the truth will be useless.

If you read what BH lists on the website - the 810 grams is on a size 54. The bike listed is a 56. He is showing the fork with a race installed, most fork weights listed don't have a race installed, and are cut to fit a smaller size frame.

Is it 810 with water bottle bolts? Did this guy weight the frame with headset cups installed?

53x12

by 53x12

Dan23 wrote:
1centaur wrote:

If you read what BH lists on the website - the 810 grams is on a size 54. The bike listed is a 56. He is showing the fork with a race installed, most fork weights listed don't have a race installed, and are cut to fit a smaller size frame.

Is it 810 with water bottle bolts? Did this guy weight the frame with headset cups installed?

I was quoted in an email by BH USA president, that the medium size 56 was 910g out of the mold. Can the paint really add that much weight?

czvekslak

by czvekslak

Paint usually adds 70 to 100g. Sounds correct. 910g right out of the mold sound accurate, add paint, hanger with bolts, cable guides, rivets and you are over 1000g in no time. I don't like the out of the mold "raw quotes". With this particular bike you almost have to do system weights because of the seat mast - fork, seat post with clamp. I am getting my 57 G5 next week, I will report the weights.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flyingfrenchman

by Flyingfrenchman

[quote="fast700c"]You obviously dont like much setback on your saddle. Seems very far forward?

I have short femur for my size I was position by someone that only do that for a living fell very comfortable