BH G5 in Taiwan..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

czvekslak wrote: and a good amount of paint.

You can say that again. :beerchug:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

neeb

by neeb

Any more up-to-date opinions on how this frame rides?

I'm suspicious of negative reviews (such as the one above) where the reviewer complains about the head tube being too short. Sounds like they were just riding the wrong frame size (too small), which would explain many of the findings. Looks to me as if the head tube dimensions are average or relatively long in relation to the effective TT size, given the relaxed seat tube angles (in size medium, i.e. "56", 150mm head tube with 55.7 effective tt and 72.5 seat tube. In terms of reach 55.7 is equivalent to about about 55cm on a bike with a more conventional seat tube angle of 73).

Sorry if there are other threads on this subject - unfortunately the search facility doesn't allow me to use words of less than 3 characters (such as bh and g5...) :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

I agree: claiming a head tube is too short is ridiculous. Even if frame size was optimized, obviously not everyone is shaped the same. That's why Specialized, for example, makes 3 separate head tube lengths for certain frame sizes (Tarmac-team, Tarmac, Roubaix). Nobody says G5 has to be the right bike for a particular person.

Anyway, for searching try Google.

tylerjandreau

by tylerjandreau

I confidently sprinted in and out of corners...

Tom Waggener

You must be very confident in the G5 to sprint INTO the corners :lol:

My friend just got one of these. He likes the ride, bud did complain about the "jumpy-ness" of it. Claimed he needed to figure out how to sprint on it.... back wheel kept hopping off the ground? Not sure if that is him sucking at riding a bike or a product of the chainstays...

neeb

by neeb

tylerjandreau wrote:back wheel kept hopping off the ground? Not sure if that is him sucking at riding a bike or a product of the chainstays...

Some frames seem to do this more than others. I've never figured out whether it means that the chainstays are stiff (sudden downward forces on the pedals transmit lateral forces very efficiently to the rear wheel through the stays) or exactly the opposite (the chainstays flex and then bounce back again).

Does it happen on Cervelos? I guess that would settle the issue.

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

I haven't noticed any "jumpiness" on my G5. But I do weight around 200lbs, so I have plenty of forces keeping me connected to the pavement. :lol:

djconnel

by djconnel

Funny how this frame was so incredibly hot when it was announced, until it turned out the weight claim was bogus, then it immediately plummeted into obscurity.

53x12

by 53x12

djconnel wrote:Funny how this frame was so incredibly hot when it was announced, until it turned out the weight claim was bogus, then it immediately plummeted into obscurity.

I don't blame anyone for not being as excited about the frame when the true weight came out. I was interested when the news first came out but quickly lost interest.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Phill P

by Phill P

neeb wrote:
tylerjandreau wrote:back wheel kept hopping off the ground? Not sure if that is him sucking at riding a bike or a product of the chainstays...

Some frames seem to do this more than others. I've never figured out whether it means that the chainstays are stiff (sudden downward forces on the pedals transmit lateral forces very efficiently to the rear wheel through the stays) or exactly the opposite (the chainstays flex and then bounce back again).

Does it happen on Cervelos? I guess that would settle the issue.

Could be a stem length/head tube angle thing. When you weight goes forward out of the saddle to sprint the weight is taken off the rear wheel. if your weight is too far over the front wheel the pedalling efforts and body movements could cause the rear of the bike to lift. Clearly not good as you are loosing a split second of power application as well as handling issues.
Solution could be to get a larger frame so you get a shorter stem and the front wheel is pushed up in front further relative to the bars. Also slacker head angle of the larger frame will put the rider further behind the front wheel.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

neeb

by neeb

I'm not much of a sprinter on the flat but for me it's something that can happen sprinting aggressively up a short, steepish ramp (when, as you say, weight is right over the front wheel). It's easy enough to avoid by just being a little smoother on the pedals, but it definitely seems to be something that varies between bikes with identical or similar geometries.

nosuds

by nosuds

I have a 2011 BH G5 (54cm) with Edge 45 Clinchers and Conti 20C race tires. Dura Ace shifters with 53-39 Rotor rings, Bontrager XXX carbon brakes, and Edge 45 Clincher wheels. 6.4 kgs. without pedals or water bottle cages.
At first, coming off a Defy Advanced 1, I found the ride to be a bit on the harsh side. On the flip side, climbing speed was much better. On my first ride, I improved a personal best time on a regular climb by about 45 seconds on a 13.30 min. climb. Riding on the river flats, the aero wheels seemed to cut the wind so well,that I literally stopped to feel if I had a tailwind behind me. (seriously) However, on long steep descents, I was a bit put off by the sound of the wheels, and also couldn't shake the visions of the wheel rims getting gooey from getting too hot.

I changed the wheels to a pair of Dura Ace 9700 C24's with Michelin Pro 4 23 C's. What a difference! The ride of the bike is now comparable to my Defy with Ksyrium Elites with Michelin Pro 3 23 C's. Descent stability is stellar with this combo. I like having my pedals at 9 and 3 o'clock, squeeze my legs tight on the seat, lean and carve into the turns. On a recent 105km bike race, on a long descent, I found myself getting caught by surprise on some sharp turns. My first instinct was to brake, but I resisted that urge, and just leaned in. The track was just so precise and so easy to hold, and everything felt incredibly stable, even when the road surface gets rough. No wandering out towards the edge of the road and needing to brake for lack of control if you dared to lean harder into the turn. With the G5, I found no fear of just leaning harder and harder into the turns. The slack seat angle gives my rear and the bike's rear a very planted and stable feel. The nice stiff Edge fork and Dura Ace worked in perfect concert with the front end going exactly where I wanted it to go.

With Rotor oval rings, I get the feel that they dull the "responsive" feel of a bike when climbing. That being said, I love the smoothness of the application of power both on the hills and on the flats. I experienced knee problems on my Defy with a click in my right knee, and soreness in my left knee on long extended climbs. I found my knees are noticeably more comfortable on the long rides with my BH G5. Rotor cranks? Geometry? 170, instead of 172.5 crank arms??? Not sure which one, but the difference is more than noticeable.
The G5's low 12mm head tube was an easy adjustment for me. But, I did find that my back aches a bit on the long climbs due to not being able to get my back perfectly straight when standing on the pedals. I might try a slightly shorter stem to get my whole body moved backwards just a little bit.

Confession: I also run a 11-32 Sram rear cassette with the 53-39 front gears. There were a couple bike shops that just refused to even try this combo. I finally found a shop that would give it a try. I had to buy a new chain because the original chain was just too short for the ultra low gear. However, once lengthened, everything works like a charm, even with the oval rings!!! I have been trying to train myself not to use that lowest gear on all but the steepest climbs or towards the end of a long ride with lots of climbing. The 39 - 32 combo puts me in prefect sync with other riders with 34-28 compact combo. The Sram cassette is louder, as most people have posted.. but I LOVE THE DURA ACE COMBO. QUICK SHIFTS, and a very obvious quick positive clunk when you change the gears. I just love coming out of stop lights, in full sprint mode, running up through the gears under full power... never letting up on the shifts, and feeling those hard hitting clunks! Acceleration compared to the Defy is beyond compare. The 6700 Ultegra hardware feels like slow motion with very silent but marshmallow feeling shifts. The frame and wheels don't respond like the G5 does either.

Fit.
I find the G5 40cm 3T carbon aero ergo handlebars, just a tad too narrow for getting the best feel for me. Anybody have some 42's that wants to trade? I also find with the slack seat angle, I run the Fizik Carbon railed seat in a fairly forward position. At first I didn't like the long carbon railed Fizik Arione seat design. However, in actual riding, you find that there are so many different positions that you can have your body adapt to with the long flat plane of this seat all the way out to the pointed trailing edge. When your legs get tired in one position, you can shift a good 10 cm's backwards and engage a very different set of muscles.

Finish:
I think that the paint job with Red/Sparkle Grey/ Black and white accents is just drop dead gorgeous. The clear coat is mirror smooth, and just shines until midnight. Ok... however, much that paint weighs.. I'll proudly pedal that dead weight, for sheer beauty's sake. Finally, the Bontrager Black carbon triple X brakes look like they were custom made for this bike. They look so cool with the G5 paint scheme, that it brings down the ambient temperature by 5 degrees within a 3 meter radius of the bike.
All in all, I am in G5 heaven, and just loving it.