SRM on a C'dale EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kingston

by Kingston

I have a EVO coming my way, and I wants to install my SRM for Cannondale on this frame.

What do I need to make this work?

I see there is a special bearing shield, a new lock ring, but are also a new spindle?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

apparently you only need the special bearing. I am also waiting on my SRM to fit it on my caad9, I have been advised to try it first, then order the bearing if needed. It someimes can fit on there without problems.

Sybarite

by Sybarite

On the EVO, the std crank has a different spider and lockring. The spider is chamfered with a different offset for the PFBB30 than the 2011 SuperSix.

ms6073

by ms6073

Also, my experience with a Ridley w/PF30 indicates that if you have an older (pre '11) model SRM Hollowgram in which the plastic back cover is flat and secured with slotted machine screws around the circumference of the cover, then that style SRM will probably will not work with the EVO's Pressfit 30.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Sybarite

by Sybarite

Check with these folks http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epages/6 ... ID=1249318

They list (non SRM) parts for the Si crank that include new EVO specific spider and lockring. And also a SRM specific spindle - but I'm not sure if that is EVO compatible. Drop them a line.

ms6073

by ms6073

Although I cannot say for certain until I get my '11 SRM Hollowgram later this week, based on this SRM/EVO discussion on another forum, I am pretty certain that for a pressfit 30 (PF30) frameset like the EVO, you will need the SRM specific spindle and stock Cannondale bearing shields. As far as the lock ring is concerned, for an SRM it probably does not make a difference as the back side of the SRM is different than the Cannondale spider. I am pretty sure that with the SRM, since the lockring sits in a recess in the cover and the diameter of the hole in the back of the SRM is smaller than the outer diameter of a SRAM PF30 bottom bracket, the back cover will bind/contact the shell of the PF30 adapter before the lock ring. Notice in the image below that although the lockring is not installed, once installed it rests in the recess of the back cover of the SRM unlike the backside of the Cannondale Hollogram spider which is relatively flush.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Kingston

by Kingston

ms6073 wrote:Also, my experience with a Ridley w/PF30 indicates that if you have an older (pre '11) model SRM Hollowgram in which the plastic back cover is flat and secured with slotted machine screws around the circumference of the cover, then that style SRM will probably will not work with the EVO's Pressfit 30.

Wow, now you really scare me. I really hope this is not true.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i mounted a compact SRM, maybe a year old, to an EVO a little bit ago. you need the lockring, or you can file the ends of the outermost part of the old one. just need to take the corners off.
to clear the PF30 cup, i removed the PF30 specific bearing shield and its "gutter seal" mate from the left side and replaced them both with a standard bb30 shield. i cannot remember if i used the srm offset spindle or the srm specific shield, but if i did i used one or the other, not both. fyi to use any shield that is not labelled pf30, you have to remove the gutter seal. doing so will move the spindle approx 1mm, as SRAM's PF30 actually mounts the bearings slightly closer together than standard bb30...

ms6073

by ms6073

thisisatest wrote:i mounted a compact SRM, maybe a year old, to an EVO a little bit ago. you need the lockring, or you can file the ends of the outermost part of the old one.

Although I do not have a Cdale EVO, I have been dealing with the SRM on a Ridley PF30 frameset and got a standard size '11 SRM hollowgram installed over the weekend. In my case, I opted to use an FSA PF30 bottom bracket which appears to offer ~1mm less inset of the bearings than the SRAM PF30 bb. Using the FSA PF30 bb, I was able to use the SRM spindle, SRM specific nds bearing sheild, and stock Cdale ds bearing shield which resulted in what I consider pretty 'symetrical' ds/nds spacing although the back of the SRM on the drive side is like nearly touching the pf30 shell.

The lockring issue has me curious as to why the comapct SRM would need a compact specific lock ring as my experience installing the standard SRM Hollowgram indicates that the bevelled part of the SRM's back cover is approximiately the same diameter as the PF30 bb shell. To me this means that the back cover would contact/rub the outer edge of the shell of the PF30 bb well before it touches the lock ring but since the compact is a new model, I am guessing that the back of the compact SRM hollowgram has a larger diameter hole thus enabling the spider to to seat closer to the bottom bracket shell than that of a standard SRM hollowgram.
- Michael

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com