50g Cane Creek Aer headset impression

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mythical

by mythical

Cane Creek does specify a life span of about 2000-3000 miles for the Norglide bushing and it seems to me that yours is simply worn out. I indeed got another headsets partly so I could swap the bushing when necessary...

The life span of the bushing is just about the only drawback I found in this headset. I hope you receive your replacement soon.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hubert

by Hubert

vinster88 wrote:Hello, all. super lurker here. I've run the aer headset on my Z4 for about 2000 miles. The headset is touchy to get right. I recently ended its life with a switch to tune cap & removal of the expander. Things loosened up, on a rain ride. upon cleaning break down, I found the nor-glide top bushing in a thin ribbon.
I called cane creek to order a replacement,..... Yeah back-ordered. If your gonna run this set up I'd suggest getting on the list for a back up top bushing.

I checked the cane creek site today and the bushings are back in stock. When you say the headset loosened up, how badly did it loosen up? Dangerous or did you just need to reset the pre-load?
Turn down the suck knob.

vinster88

by vinster88

No not in a dangerous manner, If I would have had tools or been closer.... The problem I believe resulted from rough roads & no expander inside the fork tube. I have returned the expander and abandoned the Tune cap.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Mythical... Are you still happy with the aer?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

A little Teflon lube helps with the top bush.. Makes it way smoother

mythical

by mythical

Yea, I eventually got a 33 gram integrated version of these and my next bike will have 'em too. What I like most about the Aer isn't necessarily the bushing up top but the lack of stack height in comparison to other headsets. Especially for someone who has a huge bar drop (>160mm), less stack height is more advantageous. :D
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira