Ritchey Stubby [and Light Alternatives]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

That's because yo can't purchase anything from WR Compositi directly. You will have to oder from one of their dealers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I think we should change the thread title to:

Ritchey Stubby and Light Alternatives

It would help with people searching for this sort of thing.
Then again, too many people lack the basic ability to search! :roll:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

shooter560

by shooter560

Hope you don't mind me throwing a question into this thread but it is related

Anyone have any ideas where I could buy a scott compatible stubby complete with all the rail clamps etc? All I can find the the basic stubby without the extra parts, failing that a 30.25mm stubby replacement that will ship to the UK as I need one asap

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

I don't know what you mean by "extra prarts"? Doesn't the Ritchey WCS Stubby come with all the parts needed?

You can order the Ritchey WCS Stubby inthe UK here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39282

shooter560

by shooter560

[quote removed as this is a reply]

Unfortunately not, all you get is the post part, no rail clamps and no spacer to hold the rails apart, I have spoken to Ritchey and they have said just buy one of their 1-bolt seat posts and take the bits I need off that, you can buy the clamp parts but only for carbon rails but they don't come with the spacer either :(

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

shooter560 wrote:you can buy the clamp parts but only for carbon rail

You can buy replacent WCS Carbon/Alloy 1-bolt rail clamp sets with two different dimensions here: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=32062
  • Optional 1-Bolt saddle rail clamps to replace stock clamps on Superlogic/WCS Carbon or WCS Alloy 1-Bolt seatposts (7x7mm) with 7x9.6mm (Fizik carbon rail) or 8x8.5mm (other carbon rail) clamps
  • Note: alloy clamps work on the Wilier Cento series frames

But what you need is the original 7x7mm clamps rather than 7x9.6mm (Fizik carbon rail) or 8x8.5mm (other carbon rail)?

Edit: Just saw that you can order the 25mm offset Ritchey WCS 34.9mm Stubby with 7x7mm clamps directly from Ritchey USAs website: http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=299426
However Ritchey USA doesn't ship outside the US, but if Ritchey offers this part from their own online US shop, you should be able to order the same part through a Ritchey dealer. But I guess you would then have to order both a 34.9mm Stubby with 7x7mm clamps and a 30.25mm Stubby without clamps; since they don't offer the 30.25 with the clamps included for some reason. :roll:

WCS 1-Bolt Mast Topper, 30.25mmx50mm, 8mm offset, w/o clamp 8mm 59.95 Not Included
WCS 1-Bolt Mast Topper, 30.25mmx70mm, 25mm offset, w/o clamp 25mm 59.95 Not Included
WCS 1-Bolt Mast Topper, 34.9mmx70mm, 25mm offset, w/o clamp 25mm 59.95 Not Included
WCS 1-Bolt Mast Topper, 38.35mmx70mm, 8mm offset, w/o clamp 8mm 59.95 Not Included
WCS 1-Bolt Mast Topper, 34.9mmx50mm, 25mm offset, w/ clamp 25mm 74.95 7x7mm Clamp Included

Or maybe you can buy a used Ritchey WCS Stubby from someone who has repalced it with a NoRa or similar replacement. "Gearjunkie" for example just mentioned having replaced the Ritchey WCS Stubby with a NoRa.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Gearjunkie wrote:Only problem is fitting. I had to cut down my frame about 20mm to get the same seat height as the Ritchey. Not ideal since it makes it harder to go back to the Ritchey if I need to, but bit the bullet and very happy so far.

The Ritchey WCS Stubby is sold in both 50mm and 70mm lengths, so if your original Stubby was the 50mm version you can replace it with a 70mm Stubby for your 20mm cut down frame, if you ever want to go back to the Ritchey Stubby.OF course you would have to buy a newStubby then, but it's cheaper than buying a new frame.

shooter560

by shooter560

Cheers for that 2 Wheels :) however my problem is if you look at the shot on the ritchey site there is a mounting spacer that goes between the clamps and this is not available anywhere, even Ritchey europe have said they can't help on that. I could but the complete stubby and clamp as indicated but that would mean also throwing away the stubby as its 34.9mm where I need the 30.25 version, oh how I wish Ritchey would just offer all the parts or complete stubbies in all sizes it'd make like so much easier.

I will have another try in the wanted section, I did think about something like the Norah also however I'm a little worried with my 85kgs and using it for all types of riding and racing inc some cobbled roads, don't fancy something super light letting go under me.

shooter560

by shooter560

OK given that I have been told to post in this thread, can anyone please measure the internal diameter of a 34.9mm seat post, I'm sure someone has one and can help.

Since I can't find anyone selling a complete stubby in 30.25mm for the Addict, unless I want to buy 2 and throw one away I'm thinking that maybe I can cut/bodge/cannibalise a regular seat post to work.

Failing that maybe a larger size stubby (also 34.9) and use a seat post shim? do you think that'll work?

bcheung

by bcheung

the ID of my Pedal Force CG1, which uses a Stubby with an ID of 34.9mm, is 31.6mm.

Which means I can use a 31.6mm "traditional" seatpost with my frame.

shooter560

by shooter560

Sorry what I mean is, if you have a 34.9mm seat post, flip it over and measure the internal bore, I'm hoping one out there (if i know the make/model) will have as close as possible to the 30.25mm I need

RWoodsHVAC

by RWoodsHVAC

I have a 34.9 Cycle King and a New Ultimate seat posts. I will measure the ID this weekend and post back. The reason i have both is for the same reason as you i plan to make a ISP stubby from them. The id of one of these should fit a 30.25 very nice. I will confirm for you.

Rick

RedRacer

by RedRacer

The NEW ULTIMATE appears to be a nice solution at ~50g lighter than the Ritchey.

Has anyone installed one yet?

RWoodsHVAC

by RWoodsHVAC

The ID of a new ultimate 34.9 setpost is 30.50 for anyone looking for this info

Rick

RedRacer

by RedRacer

RWoodsHVAC wrote:The ID of a new ultimate 34.9 setpost is 30.50 for anyone looking for this info

Rick

Is 30.5mm correct for the ADDICT's ISP?

Has anyone "tuned" a Ritchey Stubby? Perhaps some holes and Ti bolts to get it down to ~100g :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com