HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:45 pm 

The usually weigh more because the manufacturing process changes from prototype to production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:54 pm 

campyman099 wrote:
The usually weigh more because the manufacturing process changes from prototype to production.

But why inevitably MORE then? Why not less?

Last edited by Gazelleer on Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:55 pm 

I think that this may have happened to a few companies such as FSA because they and a few others have upped the weights on many parts in the past few months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:55 pm 

campyman099 wrote:

Sad but true. Prototypes of just about anything aren't as good in the area of durability as the production versions. Sometimes the prototypes fail so they have to make them safer by adding material here and there to increase saftey factor. This however does NOT excuse them from advertising a lower weight than the average production run item. When a company advertises a weight on their website year-round and the real-no-kidding-on-the-scales weight is 20% more there's just no excuse. They know what the really weigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:13 pm 

Quote:
This however does NOT excuse them from advertising a lower weight than the average production run item. When a company advertises a weight on their website year-round and the real-no-kidding-on-the-scales weight is 20% more there's just no excuse. They know what the really weigh.

:goodpost:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:34 pm 

Let me play the devil's advocate for a second. On many parts it is GUARANTEED that as production goes on and on the parts will get heavier? Rims and alloy bike frames are two such items. As the tooling gets worn, it removes less material during extrusion thereby increasing the weight. If you get a rim from the beginning of production and one a year later, they will be disctinctly different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:46 pm 
Resident Pro

Racing Aardvark wrote:
Let me play the devil's advocate for a second. On many parts it is GUARANTEED that as production goes on and on the parts will get heavier? Rims and alloy bike frames are two such items. As the tooling gets worn, it removes less material during extrusion thereby increasing the weight. If you get a rim from the beginning of production and one a year later, they will be disctinctly different.

I see your point, however I think this is more of a 2+-% difference, no more then 5%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:08 am 

@ aardvark - I also see your point but in a way i don't buy it

are we suppose to expect lesser quality stuff as production goes on? surely they must have some stype of standards...

i completely agree with MGS9500 and his story. The ONLY reason I buy most of this stuff is because of its weight. When it comes in way, way over the advertised weight then they have lied to me and sold me the product under false pretenses! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Good work MGS9500, hopefully they will learn. As someone said - they should give yu a +- range so you have an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:18 am 

I posted earlier about the 103 gram cassette I purchased. They say they guarantee within 3%, I guess that seems about in line with what you guys are saying. Here is their policy about weighing, which I kind of like and wish more sites would do something similar:

The bicycle industry is famous for it's unusually low published weights. Many times a 200 gram item will be listed at 175 grams or often times lower.

We do not do this.

We weigh all of our items and publish those weights. At times, weights can vary a little bit. We do try to reject any abnormally heavy items and send them back to our manufacturing plant. We will guarantee our weight within 3%.

So, this is good? Why don't more companies do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:25 am 
in the industry

big fellow wrote:
@ aardvark - I also see your point but in a way i don't buy it

are we suppose to expect lesser quality stuff as production goes on? surely they must have some stype of standards...

Mavic sprint rims would vary by up to 10% through the life of the mandrels used. So a GEL280 could weigh as much as 308g. This wasn't because Mavic were dishonest, merely a result of wear and tear on the machinery. If they had kept the weight to within 3% then a £30 rim(in the Eighties) would have possibly been double the price. It would not have sold.

On other components I take your point, there should be limits to the discrepency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:29 am 
Resident Pro

I dont think thats an excuess. No ofence to people here, but I am sure if you guys know that the weight will change with wear and tear on there tools, shouldnt they know this also! and because they know this they should change there claimed wieght.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:41 am 
in the industry

zakeen wrote:
I dont think thats an excuess. No ofence to people here, but I am sure if you guys know that the weight will change with wear and tear on there tools, shouldnt they know this also! and because they know this they should change there claimed wieght.

I think, looking at the listings, that Mavic are doing that. They seem to be within 5% of claimed weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:20 pm 

Why don't they just change tooling periodicly to ensure quality control?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:27 pm 
in the industry

drjones96 wrote:
Why don't they just change tooling periodicly to ensure quality control?
As I said before, they could but it would increase the price to the customer too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:25 pm 

Most cassettes are weighed for the smallest cogset they make - maybe that weight was a pre production 11-15 10 speed cassette!

With large companies ads are written by the marketeers with little if any input from the technical side of the company and their sole criteria is increasing sales. How do you know a salesman is lying? Because his lips are moving.

Really it's a lot like doping. Everyone else is doing it so they feel they have to do it to even things out. But I don't know what Deda's excuse is because they are the record holders.

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:25 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next