Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:20 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:43 pm
Posts: 193
Location: Long Beach, CA
The usually weigh more because the manufacturing process changes from prototype to production.

_________________
Quit whining and go ride your bike!!


Top
   
 Post subject:
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:45 pm 


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:13 pm
Posts: 637
Location: Netherlands
campyman099 wrote:
The usually weigh more because the manufacturing process changes from prototype to production.

But why inevitably MORE then? Why not less?


Last edited by Gazelleer on Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:41 am
Posts: 576
Location: Toronto, Canada
I think that this may have happened to a few companies such as FSA because they and a few others have upped the weights on many parts in the past few months.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:56 pm
Posts: 3722
Location: Wichita, KS
campyman099 wrote:
The usually weigh more because the manufacturing process changes from prototype to production.


Sad but true. Prototypes of just about anything aren't as good in the area of durability as the production versions. Sometimes the prototypes fail so they have to make them safer by adding material here and there to increase saftey factor. This however does NOT excuse them from advertising a lower weight than the average production run item. When a company advertises a weight on their website year-round and the real-no-kidding-on-the-scales weight is 20% more there's just no excuse. They know what the really weigh.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:35 pm
Posts: 739
Location: Toronto
Quote:
This however does NOT excuse them from advertising a lower weight than the average production run item. When a company advertises a weight on their website year-round and the real-no-kidding-on-the-scales weight is 20% more there's just no excuse. They know what the really weigh.


:goodpost:

_________________
BILL NIKO, YOU WILL NOT EVER BE FORGOTTEN.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:44 am
Posts: 640
Location: Boulder, CO
Let me play the devil's advocate for a second. On many parts it is GUARANTEED that as production goes on and on the parts will get heavier? Rims and alloy bike frames are two such items. As the tooling gets worn, it removes less material during extrusion thereby increasing the weight. If you get a rim from the beginning of production and one a year later, they will be disctinctly different.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:46 pm 
Offline
Resident Pro

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:13 pm
Posts: 1918
Location: Australia/Czech-Rep.
Racing Aardvark wrote:
Let me play the devil's advocate for a second. On many parts it is GUARANTEED that as production goes on and on the parts will get heavier? Rims and alloy bike frames are two such items. As the tooling gets worn, it removes less material during extrusion thereby increasing the weight. If you get a rim from the beginning of production and one a year later, they will be disctinctly different.


I see your point, however I think this is more of a 2+-% difference, no more then 5%.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:05 pm
Posts: 1288
@ aardvark - I also see your point but in a way i don't buy it

are we suppose to expect lesser quality stuff as production goes on? surely they must have some stype of standards...

i completely agree with MGS9500 and his story. The ONLY reason I buy most of this stuff is because of its weight. When it comes in way, way over the advertised weight then they have lied to me and sold me the product under false pretenses! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Good work MGS9500, hopefully they will learn. As someone said - they should give yu a +- range so you have an idea.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:57 pm
Posts: 252
I posted earlier about the 103 gram cassette I purchased. They say they guarantee within 3%, I guess that seems about in line with what you guys are saying. Here is their policy about weighing, which I kind of like and wish more sites would do something similar:

The bicycle industry is famous for it's unusually low published weights. Many times a 200 gram item will be listed at 175 grams or often times lower.

We do not do this.

We weigh all of our items and publish those weights. At times, weights can vary a little bit. We do try to reject any abnormally heavy items and send them back to our manufacturing plant. We will guarantee our weight within 3%.


So, this is good? Why don't more companies do this?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:25 am 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Posts: 2899
Location: London, UK
big fellow wrote:
@ aardvark - I also see your point but in a way i don't buy it

are we suppose to expect lesser quality stuff as production goes on? surely they must have some stype of standards...

Mavic sprint rims would vary by up to 10% through the life of the mandrels used. So a GEL280 could weigh as much as 308g. This wasn't because Mavic were dishonest, merely a result of wear and tear on the machinery. If they had kept the weight to within 3% then a £30 rim(in the Eighties) would have possibly been double the price. It would not have sold.

On other components I take your point, there should be limits to the discrepency.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:29 am 
Offline
Resident Pro

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:13 pm
Posts: 1918
Location: Australia/Czech-Rep.
I dont think thats an excuess. No ofence to people here, but I am sure if you guys know that the weight will change with wear and tear on there tools, shouldnt they know this also! and because they know this they should change there claimed wieght.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:41 am 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Posts: 2899
Location: London, UK
zakeen wrote:
I dont think thats an excuess. No ofence to people here, but I am sure if you guys know that the weight will change with wear and tear on there tools, shouldnt they know this also! and because they know this they should change there claimed wieght.

I think, looking at the listings, that Mavic are doing that. They seem to be within 5% of claimed weight.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:56 pm
Posts: 3722
Location: Wichita, KS
Why don't they just change tooling periodicly to ensure quality control?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:27 pm 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Posts: 2899
Location: London, UK
drjones96 wrote:
Why don't they just change tooling periodicly to ensure quality control?
As I said before, they could but it would increase the price to the customer too much.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:28 pm
Posts: 1769
Location: Unknown parameter
Most cassettes are weighed for the smallest cogset they make - maybe that weight was a pre production 11-15 10 speed cassette!

With large companies ads are written by the marketeers with little if any input from the technical side of the company and their sole criteria is increasing sales. How do you know a salesman is lying? Because his lips are moving.

Really it's a lot like doping. Everyone else is doing it so they feel they have to do it to even things out. But I don't know what Deda's excuse is because they are the record holders.


Top
   
 Post subject:
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:25 pm 


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Carbon Wheels - The Truth!!!

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

krtassoc

16

2540

Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:34 pm

mpulsiv View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cannondale 2016 road lineup claimed weights list

in Road

nemeseri

5

1967

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:29 am

DavidMLee View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. If Venge Vias is claimed faster than Shiv TT, then why don't we see Vias in TT's...

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

mile2424

22

3365

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:53 pm

ProfessorChaos View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. What's a good stem and handlebar weight? Decent Average weight ?

in Road

plag

11

937

Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:49 am

Wingnut View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Does a wheel weight limit include the bike's weight as well?

in Road

dily

9

588

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:14 am

11.4 View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Allen254, DeeHubbs, raisinberry777, Yahoo [Bot] and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited