Sram Force shift lever breakage!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

I find it strange you don't hear more about this, or that there's no recall or anything :? ..
As this seems to be a fatigue failure in the padle's hanger, you'd think more people would run into this? Guess the pro teams running Sram get theirs replaced so often they don't even notice it..
However so far it seems we can rule out Red levers, as I have still not seen or heard of this problem with Red brifters?
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Sorry to go OT, but I notice "brifters" used a lot. No offense meant here at all, but is that a misspelling as the result of some sort of translation, or is that an actual word that I am just not accustomed to hearing here in lovely US?
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

it's a combination of brake/shifter since all groups nowadays - well a long while already - combine that function into one unit. It's a dumb word though :lol:

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I'm on 08 Force shifters and I don't have any troubles with them. Can we tie this to a certain model year/s?

Can we all agree not to use the ugly Bri... word anymore?

Thanks
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Point taken, won't use the b word anymore ;)
So far I've seen or read about this issue with all recent Sram road shifters (Rival '09 and Force '09 and '10), exept for Red.
I would think it is likely that '08 (like Frankie's) and previous models do not have these problems, as this issue would've come up earlier in that case..

I really hope they can fix this problem, as I really like the ergonomy and operation of these shifters. I'd wouldn't like to have to go back to Shimano just because of this..
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Just received a new shifter from Sram. Despite my efforts to try and get it replaced by a Red shifter I received another Rival one... Let's see how long this one will hold up :roll:

KWalker

by KWalker

My right shifter paddle snapped off. 1 call to Sram and the paddle was overnighted and replaced the next day. Basically paid for shipping and a few bucks for the paddle.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

strobbekoen wrote:
743power wrote:Sorry to go OT, but I notice "brifters" used a lot. No offense meant here at all, but is that a misspelling as the result of some sort of translation, or is that an actual word that I am just not accustomed to hearing here in lovely US?

it's a combination of brake/shifter since all groups nowadays - well a long while already - combine that function into one unit. It's a dumb word though :lol:

The term "brifter" is mentioned in "Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary": http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#brifter
Brifter

A combination brake/shift lever, such as a Campagnolo Ergo or Shimano S.T.I. unit. This term was coined by Bruce Frech.

And Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shifter_%2 ... ift_Levers
Brake/Shift Levers

...With the introduction of systems like Shimano STI and Campagnolo Ergo, and the more recent SRAM system, the majority of these issues have been addressed. These systems combine an index shifter into each brake lever, and were sometimes referred to as brake/shift levers (or brifters)...

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

KWalker wrote:My right shifter paddle snapped off. 1 call to Sram and the paddle was overnighted and replaced the next day. Basically paid for shipping and a few bucks for the paddle.

Are you saying you replaced the paddle itself? How does that work? In my case the whole shifters were replaced, so I assumed they were unrepairable..

nothingman

by nothingman

I've broken two Rival rear shifters in the same manner. When I broke the 2008 model I was told it was fixed for 2009. When I broke the 2009 I was told the same thing of the 2010 replacement. I'd bet $20 I end up with a 2011 warranty replacement. They seem to last about 6 months on the dot for me.

KWalker

by KWalker

I have 2010 Force, which is rebuildable. Yes, all you have to do is disassemble the shifter per Sram's instructions on their site and reassemble it with the new lever.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

scotty

by scotty

My left shifter snapped yesterday, it's an older model I think it’s the first generation… does anyone one if I can simply replace the paddle?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I would simply go to your shop (if you bought it there) and have them get a replacement from SRAM...

There are two reasons you don't hear much about this big problem..

First, it's not a huge problem... (that is NOT to say that there is "no" problem...)

Second, SRAM take care of this stuff exceptionally quick.

your shop should just give you a new lever (Off something in stock) and take care of the wait on their end with SRAM...

js

by js

Bloody Hell - I just had my r/h shift paddle come off last night - 2009 Force.

Maybe the reason Red doesn't have these failures has something to do with the Zero-loss feature that is exclusive to Red on the R/H shifting. This might also explain why it seems much more rare that the left arms are braking (where Force & Rival have Zero-loss), but that might also be accounted for by the extreme difference in frequency between front & rear shifts.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to that lightning fast customer service I've just read about!!

scotty

by scotty

Hi Pez, I got the bike on the net along with a frame and other components.
As far as I'm aware mine is out of warranty, mine is 2007 model.
I phone their European office twice but was referred to my bike shop who don't know if it can be fixed...

A bit of a catch 22!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com