general question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Moderators, if you feel the need to move this, i understand.

I'm selling a set of XT dual control shifters on MTBR.com. A buyer contacted me from Russia, I have discussed things with him over email, and this is the resonse I have gotten:

I got your mail safely and so Right now you know I'm going to ask my associate to issue the check of $3,300 US Funds in your name and you'll send the excess funds to my shipper via western union,for him to come for the pick up at your location,I ll give you my shipping
agent's datas as soon as the check gets to you,He's handles my shipping arrangement. I will be giving $50 for your (efforts and western union fees) I'll be very grateful if really you can do
everything the same day you recieve the check for a faster transaction and bcos i am really eager o see it....
I'll need your datas for the check to get to you soonest..
NAME..
ADDRESS..
ZIP CODE..
CITY..
STATE...
COUNTRY..
PHONE NUMBER
(HOME,OFFICE,CELL)
Pls mail me today,to let me know what's good.
I know I can trust you,
Best Regard.

Does this seem wierd to Anyone else? Should I be worried about doing business with this person? does the transfer of $3300 to my account to be re distributed seem strange? Thanks.

Superlite

by Superlite

SCAM

I sell stuff on roadbikereview all the time and get emails like that. Do what I do, in my ad at the bottom say scammers don't waste my time, paypal only, NO money orders. If they email you still tell them off. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

This is a scam, it is prevelant in the auto industry especially. Someone sends you a certirfied check or money order, you forward the extra money to the shipper. 10 days later your bank calls you and tells you the money order was counterfeit.

I usually like to play with these people, I tell them that I'd be happy to make a deal, but for that kind of money I need to know that Im dealing with someone legitimate. I usually ask them to send me a picture of themselves, and to make sure its them they have to hold a sign that says whatever I choose, usually its something crass.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

The first time he emailed me I was really wierded out by it, and then things kinda normalized, and then I get this. I sent him an email telling him I'd accept paypal and that I'd been advised by the MTBR moderators not to take westen union. Those F*%ckers trying to scam people.

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

western union - always fishy!

drjones96

by drjones96

I read an article on a private website recently about this exact scam. The scammer responded to an advertised livestock sale with the same tactic. The seller knew of the scam and 'counter-scammed'. He screwed around with the guy for about 3 months until the scammer finally gave up but not before the seller was able to extract enough information from the scammer to report him to the authorities. Not sure if he really got busted or not but it was a funny read.
http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scam.html
Last edited by drjones96 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

I think this "counter-scam" is funnier:

http://poststuff.entensity.net/040105/scam.htm

But yeah, total scam.

Superlite

by Superlite

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is one of the funniest things I have ever seen!

520 Dan, send him a free ANUS laptop with his order! Make sure he pays for shipping and it wiegh 80lb! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

drjones96

by drjones96

:lol: anus laptops. I've got bricks left over from my house. That'd be a great addition to the order. :lol:

Dalai

by Dalai

@brianwchan - that link was hilarious :lol:

My brain is still hurting though from trying to understand the scammers death threats and general replies...

big fellow

by big fellow

wow that's a hiliarious story....unbelievable

an absolute classic! :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com