Best road frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Joel

by Joel

Any ideas for a good road frame?
It has to be light enough (frame+ fork = max. 1.5kg), but
not too weak because I need a 57or 58cm frame. I thought at the Scott RC AFD Team issue or a U2 frame. Any tips?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

If your worried about strength go with the new Trek Madone 5.9. It weighs 1439g in a size 58cm with fork. Plus it's super sweet and the most aero dynamic non time trial frame ever produced. Only problem is it might not be available for a few months, check with trek to make sure.

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

I dont think that aerodynamics make a big deal on a frame...
A good frame is light stiff and good looking...:) err well and not expansive though.... :cry:

Well i need to say that...ahem ..the new Scott cr1 team issue is the best s l o p i n g carbon frame around right now.

CP

by CP

Check out a Parlee. You can get a custom for no Xtra charge. They are beautful bikes and the ride is fantastic ride. www.parleecycles.com
CP

Joel

by Joel

I don't know why, but I don't like the design of the Madone, it's like the new DA. The Parlee looks great but both frame are quite expensive and I want to spend more for my set-up than for my frame.
You don't know a good U2, starship or Scandium frame?
And what do you think about the Scott RC AFD Team Issue?

Joel

by Joel

Joel wrote:I don't know why, but I don't like the design of the Madone, it's like the new DA. The Parlee looks great but both frame are quite expensive and I want to spend more for my set-up than for my frame.
You don't know a good U2, starship or Scandium frame?
And what do you think about the Scott RC AFD Team Issue?

I've just seen that the carbon Scott costs 2000 euro, maybe I find some extra money, but I thought at about 1400 euro frame + fork

CP

by CP

The two customs are quite expensive. Parlee is making a compact model that will come in standard sizes. They will be less expensive.
CP

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

An interesting link over here...
Check it out and woppe my new frame is goodie good !!!
:D

http://www.efbe.de/defbefrm.htm

Joel

by Joel

HäddaFahn wrote:An interesting link over here...
Check it out and woppe my new frame is goodie good !!!
:D

http://www.efbe.de/defbefrm.htm

Indeed, the Scott C1 is a great frame :lol:

Dan

by Dan

This post may seem a little self serving, cause I'm gonna talk about my bike but you may consider getting a Cannondale CAAD 7. All the Haters come on out, cause before I got my Cannondale I talked Shit about them too, Crack & Fail, snail trail, etc, but my CAAD 7 Saeco is the most responsive bike I've ever ridden, much more so than a trak 5900, and cheaper too. Plus, you can find used ones cheap on ebay, and they come with super light integrated cranks that are stiffer than anythign on the market and won't burn a $800 campy carbon hole in your pocket. My 58cm set up for training (clincher ksyriums and chorus steel cass) weighs in at just over 15lbs with nothin crazy (just SLR, easton carbon bars, USE post, regular weight tires and tubes) so you can build one down to 13 pounds easily with something like the same parts package but Zipp 303s and a light cass. I'm hoping to get soem pics up of my bike on the sight plus the specs soon, so keep posted if you're interested.

Francois_viviers@hotmail.

by Francois_viviers@hotmail.

Trek madone the most aerodynaic non timetrail frame ever produced? who said that, Trek don't make me laugh just like there brochure that I was unfortunate enough to get to look at. The crap line where they stated that the OCLV frame and fork was the lightest production frameset ever produced. Or when they said that their project alpha aluminium frame has revolutionised aluminium, when we all know that their alum frames really were more sort of low range to mid range frames.

As for the most aerodynamic, what about LOOK kg486, Cervelo Solo

I saw ALL the riders in the tour that had a LOOK kg486 use it in the timetrials and also road stages. This happened in the Vuelta again. Did we see Lance use the Madone in the timetrial?????

Not saying it is a bad bike, just made by a company that like sensationalism in their advertising and are most probably too full of themselves the really care.

Take everything you read with a pinch of salt. especially from companies like Trek Colnago Pinarello

Joel

by Joel

Can you buy a Caad 7 just with frame fork and cranckset + bb
or do ou have to buy a complete bike?

Dan

by Dan

You can buy a CAAD 7 in just a frame and fork, actually if you want a CAAD 7 w/o the cranks and BB, I think you can get that too. Cannondale will also do custom geometry, pretty much custom anything if you want for the right price, so theoretically, you could do a sloping cannondale that would be lighter than stock framesets.

benz76

by benz76

Best frame? Do you mean BEST , or good, light, and so on...
If you're looking for THE BEST frame think about the most successful and winning frame around pro-riders this year.
Do you need a little help? The only frame that equipped three teams at this year Tour de France...
Still don't know what i'm talking about? Pinarello Dogma, sure...!
It's not about the frame weight, it's about the frame response, handling, climbing and descending (it's second only to Scapin S8 when going down a long mountain pass).
The 1st, 4th and 5th pro-teams in the world use it. I think there should be a reason. (Look at UCI riders and teams rankings) http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/sep03/sep30news
OBVIOUSLY I don't mean other frames are not good. A DeRosa King is very close, also a CAAD 7 (but there's a BIG difference in descending). Bettini's all carbon Time is also good, but it costs twice a Dogma (4000€ vs 2350€).

Think about it...
Bye, BENZ.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

<---Scratching head

Maybe Pinarello is the best in merchandising cause of the number of equipped teams, but that doesnt make a frame the best. Ahem and no rider won one of the big Competitions (Tour, Giro, Vuelta) on a Pinarello btw. I dont think the pinarello is famous for its decending abilities...btw how would yu messure that?!?! As far as i know the Dogma isnt thats stiff...

Its still the riders who drive not the bike...