HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Planet X brakes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:53 pm 

Besides getting the right pads make sure the brakes are set up right. The pads should be square to the rim with a little toe-in. (I use a business card under the leading edge to set it). The flexier the brake arms the more toe in you need. You can look at the wear pattern on the pads to see if you need more or less toe in.

The design of those brakes looks like the leverage is variable. I'd set the brakes so the little red arm is pointed down very slightly when the brakes are engaged reasonably hard.

Make sure the pivots are cleaned and lubed and if they are adjustable (like on Shimano brakes) are adjusted to be as free as possible without play. The less friction there is in the brake, the more braking power you get for a given pull at the lever.

The brake cable slack should be set so the brake lever is a comfortable distance from the bar when the brakes engage the rim. Some people set their brakes with very little cable slack because they're scared of the brake levers bottoming out on the bar or are worried that they will need to brake and taking up slack takes too much time (it doesn't). But then their fingers are too far from the bar when the brakes engage so they can't squeeze the lever as hard. On Sram levers with adjustable reach I adjust the levers in even though I have normal length fingers for a 6' tall man. They're way too far out in the out position. Most of my bikes brakes engage with the lever at around 1/2 of the travel.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:53 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:35 pm 

Dig the Planet X brakes (especially the price). A lot of advantages with Campag. Very good modulation and extra clearance. On my CAAD10 I can run up to 30mm tires w generous clearance. I've had the brakeset for about a year and have run them with the included blue pads and a few carbon pads. Breaking has been more than adequate for my 165 pounds. After setting them up I never really thought about the design or quirks but here's a pretty good rundown:

http://amplewritings.blogspot.com/2012/ ... rakes.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:25 pm 

beeatnik wrote:
Dig the Planet X brakes (especially the price). A lot of advantages with Campag. Very good modulation and extra clearance. On my CAAD10 I can run up to 30mm tires w generous clearance. I've had the brakeset for about a year and have run them with the included blue pads and a few carbon pads. Breaking has been more than adequate for my 165 pounds. After setting them up I never really thought about the design or quirks but here's a pretty good rundown:

http://amplewritings.blogspot.com/2012/ ... rakes.html

Great review, I had the same experience with mine moving from Red as well. On the cool factor... they just look cool .We are a ww group, however cool factor is part of it if things are equal and weigh less.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:20 pm 

If anyone in the UK is looking for a pair of these, I've noticed that the forged ones (in black) are currently on offer for £50 on the Planet X website. The CNC ones are going for £90 in various colours.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:24 pm 

Just bought a pair of the forged ones in black from the UK site. Looking forward to installing them on my Allez.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10