Planet X brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

sleepingmenace wrote:I too ordered a pair today..for the money, they look impossible to beat.. Not the sexiest looking brake alive, but 200 g brakes for just > 100 quid.. is a great deal

Actual weight on mine was 195 grams. Thinking about getting another set for another build. I just came from Shimano Ultegra and they're not far off IMO in stopping power.

sleepingmenace

by sleepingmenace

Ravenmore wrote:
sleepingmenace wrote:I too ordered a pair today..for the money, they look impossible to beat.. Not the sexiest looking brake alive, but 200 g brakes for just > 100 quid.. is a great deal

Actual weight on mine was 195 grams. Thinking about getting another set for another build. I just came from Shimano Ultegra and they're not far off IMO in stopping power.

I had someone else echo that exact sentiment re: the ultegras.. that they're VERY similar in stopping grunt.. I'm not sure the weight of the Ultegras (too lazy to look as well) but they're certainly not feathers....
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Ravenmore wrote:I just came from Shimano Ultegra and they're not far off IMO in stopping power.

It's curious that I hear differing opinions on this. I know that if I didn't live somewhere with a long switchback mountain descent, I would never "test" my brakes. It is the only road where I really use them... and when I'm racing down that thing, the brakes are very important. Lots of sprinting and then slamming on the brakes before the next sharp turn. I'm currently using older Chorus that weigh >350g, but I like how they feel... but even then my hands get very tired by the end. Not sure I could "love" calipers that were noticeably less effective.

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

I live in Austin, TX - we have a lot of sharp steep descents in the hills around here. I'm 205 pounds and I have no issues trusting these brakes so far. Seriously they don't feel any different to me than my Ultegras did.

ahson

by ahson

Sorry to bring up this old thread. I just received my planet x brakes and wondering if there instruction as I'd like to follow the correct torque spec.

Btw is the 'cable slippage' still an issue on these brakes?!
Last edited by ahson on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

by Rick

I've been using the Planet-X brakes for two seasons now.
No cable slippage.....but it does LOOK like something that one would be concerned about, so I make sure to use blue loctite on the little set screw in the ferrule and make sure it is snugged up.

I remove my front wheel every day for transport, and so I pull the ferrule out of its seat so I can get the tire past the brake shoes. I haven't had any problem with the ferrule loosening.

As far as braking power goes: I am in Utah, and do a lot of high speed mountain descents. I have had no problems, but I admit that I don't seem to be very critical of brakes. I wnt about 10 years on one pair of brake shoes :shock: I guess I just don't descend that aggressively, but I have never been dropped on a descent. I use the brakes more like "speed adjusters" than "panic stoppers".

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I really want some of these brakes but it's a shame they cost so much to ship from either UK or USA, I'll keep searching eBay for a cheap pair or an equivalent design

Estelja

by Estelja

On ebay the least expensive version of the brakes are listed under the "Mr. Control" brand or "235g Super light".

eric

by eric

Can the cable adjuster be operated by one hand?

Does the adjuster on the new brakes look like this one

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Last edited by Tenlegs on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

I have these. Took off my some great Ultegra 6700s. And no, they do not stop as well. Although, they have a GREAT return spring that gives them some of the best feel of any brake I have ever used. They saved me over 100grams over the Ults too, so I am not too bummed about the decrease in braking power.

eric

by eric

By "best feel" do you mean lighter lever pressure than ultegra, or heavier?

I'm trying to decide if I should try these as a replacement for my tuned 7800 brakes. I had KCNC Cb1s and they gave me really ugly wrist pain after repeated long technical descents.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

spinwax wrote:I have these. Took off my some great Ultegra 6700s. And no, they do not stop as well. Although, they have a GREAT return spring that gives them some of the best feel of any brake I have ever used. They saved me over 100grams over the Ults too, so I am not too bummed about the decrease in braking power.

What brake pads are you using?

I'm using SwissStop GHP2 (Green) pads and (over my OEM Tektro calipers/pads), braking improved immensely.

eric wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should try these as a replacement for my tuned 7800 brakes.

I wouldn't take off a set of 7800's for anything else. ;)

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

eric wrote:By "best feel" do you mean lighter lever pressure than ultegra, or heavier?

I'm trying to decide if I should try these as a replacement for my tuned 7800 brakes. I had KCNC Cb1s and they gave me really ugly wrist pain after repeated long technical descents.

The return spring is extremely stiff, so when you pull in the lever and release it has a VERY positive mechanical feel. Sort of hard to explain but that is the best I can do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

2ndgen wrote:
spinwax wrote:I have these. Took off my some great Ultegra 6700s. And no, they do not stop as well. Although, they have a GREAT return spring that gives them some of the best feel of any brake I have ever used. They saved me over 100grams over the Ults too, so I am not too bummed about the decrease in braking power.

What brake pads are you using?

I'm using SwissStop GHP2 (Green) pads and (over my OEM Tektro calipers/pads), braking improved immensely.

eric wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should try these as a replacement for my tuned 7800 brakes.

I wouldn't take off a set of 7800's for anything else. ;)

This could be my issue. I am just using the pads they came with on my aluminum training wheels.