Sizing challenge game! CAAD10 and Tarmac

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bluingreen

by bluingreen

Hi everyone. I'm currently riding a 54 CAAD10 and have attached a picture so you can check out the fit. I'd probably like a bigger saddle-handlebar drop at some point (soon). The stem is currently on a 9mm short stack cane creek bearing cover.

I'm trying to figure out what size of tarmac would fit me best.

Who's willing to take a stab at this? Any explanations you can give based on the geometry would be awesome so I can learn how to interpret the sizing charts myself.

If any other pictures or measurements of my current setup would help, I'll get them as soon as possible.

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345032955.025983.jpg

jdp211

by jdp211

For what its worth, I went from a 54 Supersix to a 54 Tarmac and I feel that it fits me better. I also have a 54 CAAD9. The geometries are pretty close between the two frames. Look at the stack and reach numbers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

It's really hard to say what Tarmac would fit you best given the lack of information about you.

If you are just looking for Saddle to Bar drop, why not just buy a stem with a greater negative angle. It looks like you are a -6, which is probably the most common. You can find stems with -8, -17 or -25 if needed. Specialized's S-Works stems are a bit heavy but they have an insert that allows for four different angles. You might want to try that.

Simply comparing the geometry numbers, the 54 Tarmac actually has a taller headtube than the Caad 10 you currently ride. You'd be better off going with a 52 in either bike, but then TT may be too short - I don't really know because you haven't provided any other useful information.

NGMN

by NGMN

Caad10 54cm stack and reach: 546mm and 383mm
Tarmac 54cm stack and reach: 543mm and 387mm
Tarmac 52cm stack and reach: 526mm and 386mm

(stack and reach is a manner of comparing bikes from the BB because your saddle on both bikes will be in the same location, so things like "top tube length" are generally less accurate than just using the "reach". For more information google "stack and reach velonews.")

So if you just wanted to replicate, then getting a 54cm Tarmac and using the same size stem, with a slightly shorter reach bar and a mini spacer would do the trick.

Whether it would be better to go with a 52 or a 54cm Tarmac to utilize the option of going lower is an individual thing because as someone pointed out, you may be able to just use a deeper drop stem, or you could change to a traditional bend bar with a deeper drop and lower hood mount points. Also the 52 and 54, though similar in fit geometry also have differences in wheelbase so handling could be different.

Of course, my recommendations above may be worthless if the fit on your Caad is no good.

GT56

by GT56

bluingreen wrote:Hi everyone. I'm currently riding a 54 CAAD10 and have attached a picture so you can check out the fit. I'd probably like a bigger saddle-handlebar drop at some point (soon). The stem is currently on a 9mm short stack cane creek bearing cover.

I'm trying to figure out what size of tarmac would fit me best.

Who's willing to take a stab at this? Any explanations you can give based on the geometry would be awesome so I can learn how to interpret the sizing charts myself.

If any other pictures or measurements of my current setup would help, I'll get them as soon as possible.

Thanks!

[]

Whatever you do, but get rid of the dork disc FIRST and real SOON.......

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Like JDP211 did, I went from a 52 SuperSix to a 52 Tarmac and am alot more comfortable on the Tarmac than I was on the SuperSix.

Both bikes sizing was very similar, without knowing more you should go to your LBS and get them to teach you

DaveS

by DaveS

Remember to correct the reach values to compensate for differences in the stack height. For example, the 52cm Tarmac has a 20mm shorter stack than the CADD10, so the comparable reach is about 380mm (measured at the same stack height), not 386. A longer stem might be required. Another option is using a -17 stem with the 54cm Tarmac.

While stack and reach are good ideas, they can still be misconstrued, just like comparing TT lengths, without making the proper correction for differences in the seat tube angle.
Last edited by DaveS on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

for what it's worth i have both the caad10 and tarmac s-works sl3 in 52cm sizing. feel the same. same cane creek headsets, same bars, same stem, same saddle, same seatpost on both.

butt dyno tells me they are the same.

bluingreen

by bluingreen

Thanks for all the help comparing numbers, everyone.

So I always read about the "the smaller the frame the better."

Let's say both 54 and 52 could work. The 54 with -17 and the 52 with higher seat post and maybe some stem spacers and -6 etc.

Which is going to feel, handle and ride better?

Which will LOOK better? Not that that matters ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Buying a new stem with a steeper downward angle is substantially cheaper than buying a new frame. So I suggest you try that first and see what you think. You can probably find a used one for fairly cheap on eBay. I've bought stems for as little as $5 used to try new positions.

One thing to consider, while lots of saddle to bar drop looks cool and that's what the pros have, if you lack the flexibility to maintain that position, you can actually decrease your power output by bending over too much. And any aero gains are negated by the loss of power.