CR1 and Durace catastrophic failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Coolhand

by Coolhand

Nice shiny replacable derailler hanger on my Orbea Orca too.

:D
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

OTH

by OTH

brianwchan wrote:
OTH wrote:Very very very bad luck. But the bottom line is s**t happens. Looks as if it was caused by the chain putting the derailleur out of adjustment under load?

Have 4 bikes. Most recent is a CR1. Other 3 have a replaceable hanger - though I've never had cause to replace one yet. You pay your money and you take your choice. I wouldn't be put off buying a Ferrari just because it doesn't carry a spare wheel!

Yeah except not having a spare wheel isn't going to turn your Ferrari into a useless piece of junk, like a broken hanger is.

Ah no, but you are wide of the point I am making, which is this - there always remains the very small probability that something nasty or untowards may happen.

But you make a judgement at the time of purchase, i.e. what are the odds that I am going to end up with a broken hanger/puncture (and if you are stranded miles away from anywhere on a dark night in the pouring rain with your gorgeous girlfriend, then your Ferrari might as well be a "useless piece of junk" :) ). The answer tend to be highly unlikely Surely if it was totally inevitable that the hanger was going to break then you wouldn't buy the frame? That said replaceable hangers make good sense. But what % of people who do not race have had cause to replace one? ....I might add that, I guess that if you race and crash on carbon then a new hanger is likely to be the smallest of your worries :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

OTH wrote:
brianwchan wrote:
OTH wrote:Very very very bad luck. But the bottom line is s**t happens. Looks as if it was caused by the chain putting the derailleur out of adjustment under load?

Have 4 bikes. Most recent is a CR1. Other 3 have a replaceable hanger - though I've never had cause to replace one yet. You pay your money and you take your choice. I wouldn't be put off buying a Ferrari just because it doesn't carry a spare wheel!

Yeah except not having a spare wheel isn't going to turn your Ferrari into a useless piece of junk, like a broken hanger is.

Ah no, but you are wide of the point I am making, which is this - there always remains the very small probability that something nasty or untowards may happen.

But you make a judgement at the time of purchase, i.e. what are the odds that I am going to end up with a broken hanger/puncture (and if you are stranded miles away from anywhere on a dark night in the pouring rain with your gorgeous girlfriend, then your Ferrari might as well be a "useless piece of junk" :) ). The answer tend to be highly unlikely Surely if it was totally inevitable that the hanger was going to break then you wouldn't buy the frame? That said replaceable hangers make good sense. But what % of people who do not race have had cause to replace one? ....I might add that, I guess that if you race and crash on carbon then a new hanger is likely to be the smallest of your worries :twisted:

I think thats a very good point. I would rather the hanger brake then the flat tyre in a Ferrari on a raining night with girlfriend in the car, then you leave the car in the middle of nowhere and then the next morning it is not there!

Dont be to stressed about your broken hanger, just take it to a engineer to get one made up from a different hanger and get him to make it a screw on. Then you will have a scott with a replacable hanger. It shouldnt cost you more then $30AUS and you will be set for life. If you take it back for a replacement, then the problem could happen again.

I broke the hanger of a GT once, went to the shop, dug throu a box, found the closest match and filed it a bit and it fitted fine!