Weight Weenies
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/

Ceramic Bearings
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=595
Page 2 of 5

Author:  spytech [ Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

nikh wrote:
You got me thinking about replacing the bearings in my King headset :shock: :cry:


i think in the future, all bearings will be ceramic, from what i read its easier to make a more perfectly rounder ball bearing. quality is almost always great.

so, everyone lets upgrade to a smoother rolling lighter future :lol:

Author:  Joel [ Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

The WR bike has just the lightest components, not the best

Author:  Weenie [ Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:39 pm ]
Post subject: 


Author:  nicrump [ Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

ok,ok. i said a while back. it was '93 to be exact. came back from interbike with them. so, that said, they have come a long way.

Author:  nicrump [ Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:49 pm ]
Post subject:  more than a weight benefit, for speed weenies as well

The centrifugal load is described by F= -mT2R where m is the weight of the ball. Because the density of silicium nitride is 60% of steel, the centrifugal load is reduced by using these balls with 60%. As a consequence the running speed can be increased up to 30%.
Because the E-modulus of silicium nitride is about 1.5 times that from steel, a smaller contact surface exists with the consequence of a high contact pressure. So, the benefit of a small centrifugal load is limited by the large E-modulus. From Hertz theory it follows that the maximum load for the combination steel- silicium nitride reduced with 30%.

A decrease of 60% centrifugal loading in combination with a 30% decrease in load capacity finally results in an increase of running speed with only 15%.

A third effect, that frictional heating between the ceramic balls and the steel rings is less, further positively affect the maximum running speed.

Author:  nikh [ Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for that....I think :shock: :? :)

Author:  spytech [ Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: more than a weight benefit, for speed weenies as well

nicrump wrote:
The centrifugal load is described by F= -mT2R where m is the weight of the ball. Because the density of silicium nitride is 60% of steel, the centrifugal load is reduced by using these balls with 60%. As a consequence the running speed can be increased up to 30%.
Because the E-modulus of silicium nitride is about 1.5 times that from steel, a smaller contact surface exists with the consequence of a high contact pressure. So, the benefit of a small centrifugal load is limited by the large E-modulus. From Hertz theory it follows that the maximum load for the combination steel- silicium nitride reduced with 30%.

A decrease of 60% centrifugal loading in combination with a 30% decrease in load capacity finally results in an increase of running speed with only 15%.

A third effect, that frictional heating between the ceramic balls and the steel rings is less, further positively affect the maximum running speed.



did you think that out yourself, or do you have a source?

Author:  JTC [ Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:55 am ]
Post subject: 

This all sounds very interesting. Will it be possible to replace the bearing in the head set and hubs? We need a guinea pig to try this out. Any ideas on real weight savings? Is it going to be worth the cost and effort?

Author:  Superlite [ Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:51 am ]
Post subject: 

In the words of Master P. NAH!! I called one of those places today, to replace the bearings in my rear hub around $700!!!!!!! HOLY SNIHCKIES!!

Author:  nikh [ Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Superlite wrote:
In the words of Master P. NAH!! I called one of those places today, to replace the bearings in my rear hub around $700!!!!!!! HOLY SNIHCKIES!!


Da-da-damnnnnnnnnn, thats a whole lot of money!!

Author:  Superlite [ Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

TELL ME ABOUT IT!! i could buy another set of my wheels for that much. Guess thats why Z 3 wheels cost 3 g's, vs, 1350 for an almost identical set of 303's. I don't know about you guys but unless I start ridding in the Tour regular bearings are plenty good for me.

Author:  nikh [ Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd like some FIR wheels for my MTB 1200g!! But they cost around 2.5K!!



Image

Author:  Superlite [ Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Do those have ceramic bearings? Or just a random thought? :wink:

Author:  nikh [ Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just dreaming along with ceramic bearings!!

Author:  Kirkster [ Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: more than a weight benefit, for speed weenies as well

spytech wrote:
nicrump wrote:
The centrifugal load is described by F= -mT2R where m is the weight of the ball. Because the density of silicium nitride is 60% of steel, the centrifugal load is reduced by using these balls with 60%. As a consequence the running speed can be increased up to 30%.
Because the E-modulus of silicium nitride is about 1.5 times that from steel, a smaller contact surface exists with the consequence of a high contact pressure. So, the benefit of a small centrifugal load is limited by the large E-modulus. From Hertz theory it follows that the maximum load for the combination steel- silicium nitride reduced with 30%.

A decrease of 60% centrifugal loading in combination with a 30% decrease in load capacity finally results in an increase of running speed with only 15%.

A third effect, that frictional heating between the ceramic balls and the steel rings is less, further positively affect the maximum running speed.



C'mon Guys just ride the damn Bike! :roll:

Author:  nicrump [ Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

a valid point, but the wrong forum. this is about geeking out over weight and physics.

Author:  Weenie [ Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:07 pm ]
Post subject: 


Page 2 of 5 All times are UTC+01:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/