Michelin Pro 3 Race Tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cervelo-van

by cervelo-van

Would anyone suggest that these tires might puncture more than say Schwalbe Ultemo R or Verdestein Fortezza? I seem to get more flats with these?

Thanks

iliveonnitro

by iliveonnitro

Than the Fortezza, yes. No experience with the other tire.

They grip better, though, in my opinion. I basically save them for race-purposes and leave on the Krylion Carbons for training. Fotezza's have gotten harder to get a hold of in the states, so I don't buy them anymore. Can't say that I would, anymore, either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KH1

by KH1

As above - great race tyre - not so good for everyday use.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

ave

by ave

1500miles many on really bad roads and zero flats.

CoachPotatoBilly

by CoachPotatoBilly

**** I have never had a flat on one and have them on most my bikes now. They stick like glue on dry pavement and I use them exclusively now for my criterium bike. I guess it depends on road conditions but I have done races with long gravel sections every lap and ridden by lots of guys with flats. They work well for me.

Billy

Coolhand

by Coolhand

Race and everyday tires- no flats, no issues. Rear does square off a bit- the price of grip. Worth it to me.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

Peith

by Peith

These are the most confidence-inspiring clinchers out there; great sensation of grip (to go along with the actual grip). I am yet to have any issues with them. I used to run Vittoria EVO CX's...

AdamsSLC01

by AdamsSLC01

I have had these on my ProMachine since they came out. I LOVE them, and they last atleast 2k miles..However, I DID have a sketchy little issue a few days back...ripping through some S turns...the back washed out like tokyo drift. Look back...the ENTIRE center section of the tire was gone....like ZERO rubber. This was deemed to be a build error, and the shop sent it to Michelin. Otherwise, been riding Pro Race 2 and 3 for years, and dig them.
a.s.

sawyer

by sawyer

i've been using them on one bike for maybe 15 months and done perhaps 5,000 miles on the front, and 3,500 on a rear which was then replaced. In that time I've had one flat on a well worn rear.

The only criticism I have is that there are more comfortable riding tyres out there. For grip, weight, durability, low RR, and puncture resistance they score highly.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

WinesofWA

by WinesofWA

I keep reading about bad experiences on Pro3 Races, but mine have been the best tires I've ever used for just fast riding. They have probably 3,000 miles on them with no flats, and just a few small cuts despite riding through glass nearly every time I ride. However, I am pretty heads-up about glass, and once I ride through some, I use the palm of my hand to clear the glass of the front tire, and the top of my shoe to clear off the back (while rolling). Then to double check I inspect my tires at home before nearly every ride and pick out any glass from the tread. This is key to preventing glass punctures on any tire!

ave

by ave

I wonder if it is an anti-Michelin campaign I had read previously everywhere.

"yeah, Pro 2 Race was a good tire, but Pro 3 sucks, many flats" - and similar things I'd read on many forums.
Still, I trusted Michelin - and they really do deliver.

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

I also love grips on the ProRace3 tires, much more than the older models, especially the older Continentals(have not used the GP4000 yet). The ride of the 3s are very plush to me, almost too soft(I pump them to 110psi) and rolling resistance seems a tiny bit higher than older models. They do seem to get cuts more easily but I haven't gotten a flat on them yet(one season of use, I rarely get flats with any tires).
I'm gonna try GP4000 tires next. I hope they offer better grip in the wet than the 3000s, those things scared me (>_<)'.
One thing about grip between them both(mentioned above). The gripe of the PR3s is tenacious but I have not experienced sliding out with them yet. The PR3s may lose grip catastrophically causing a slide(in a turn/breaking) that I might not recover from. Even though the GP3000s did not have the grip of the PR3s, at least they are very predictable in when they lose traction. Still, I am able to go through corners much faster with the PR3s over the GP3000s.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

KH1

by KH1

I wish I had the experience everyone else had above with the 3's - 2's i had no problems with so when the 3's were released I bough 5 sets. I destroyed 1 set on a glass bottle (as you would with just about any tyre) but after that I had 5 flats in 2 weeks. Lot's of cuts as per bugman and just gave up on them and went for 4000S. So far - touch wood - I haven't had a flat on them. Grip on both tyres (PR3 & 4000S) is exceptional. (I am yet to try EVO CX 320's) I still use the 3's on my crit wheels - but was planning on replacing them with the EVO when they are done.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

Strong Bad

by Strong Bad

BugMan,
Get the Conti 4000 with the chili compound (black only).
It is a noticeable step up in grip, and cut resistance over the non chili compound versions.
I not a domestique damnit, I'm a lieutenant!

mds

by mds

The only time I get PR3 punctures with unexpected frequency is in wet conditions. But I've had the same trouble with the other tires I've tried. In dry conditions they rarely puncture. I did have the front tire slide out from me once in dry conditions, but I blame myself not the tire - it was just a case of poor bike handling. I do have one concern with PR3 - rear tire wear. I climb a lot with a per mile climb average of over 100 feet per mile. Rear tires don't seem to last long with a lot of climbing. They are worn down to the casing in 1200 miles. Front tires last much longer of course.
2009 Look 595

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com