SRM/Quarq, a slightly different scenario.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cslone

by cslone

Hello, I've owned a Quarq with 705 combo since ~September of 08. I had the water issue and it was replaced with the Saturn in February of 09. Overall, I am VERY happy with the Quarq, no data drops, power is spot on with the powertap comparison, etc. The thing is, I'm just not a fan of the 705. Overall it works fine and has all the features I could ask for. Initially, I used the GPS and Virtual Partner a few times, but just as a basic headunit recently. But I HATE the mounting as opposed to the SRM. I had one zip tie break on me in a TT yesterday leaving my $400 computer secured with only one tie. I also don't care for how it mounts to the stem.

I have a chance to get a low use SRM pro with SRAM cranks and PC V. I've seen the SRM's on the road but never ridden or actually messed with one in person. I don't care for the fact that you have to send it back every year to the tune of what, $100+? But I like the secure, off the front of the bike mouting option. It's wired, and I'll be switching between 3 bikes, but as long as I get a harness on each bike, it's not a big deal.

My question is does anyone see any benefit to switching to the SRM from the Quarq? I'm of the type that likes different things just because, but I'd hate to get this SRM and think "meh, it's nothing special" Am I going to be switching item for item here, or is there a benefit/negative anyone sees with going from a Saturn to the SRM?

Also, I ride 175mm's typically, the SRM is 172.5mm. I know only 2.5mm, but is there a way to swap spiders from the 172.5's to my current 175's?

At this point it's just a thought because the Quarq has been a fantastic product. I just am not a fan of the Garmin as a power unit. It works, but it's just bulky.

Thanks for any help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Coolhand

by Coolhand

You don't need to send it in every year, and the wired SRM's tend to be ultra reliable. The PCV is my favorite computer. If you can live with wires, they are a great PM. I liked the Quark I tested, and could live with the 705, but thought the lack of dedicated head unit was a bummer.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

who says you have to send the SRMs back? I don't send my back, I change my own batteries and run my own calibrations.

I do send the PC back though.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

Geoff

by Geoff

I agree with Coolhand and Starnut. There is little need to send back the SRM unless you need to replace batteries (the old SRM Pros, maybe change it yourself, but I'm too scared to mess with my Shimano or Si Powermeters) or have crash damage to the PowerController.

The bigger issue for me is the crankarm length. I ride 172.5s. I tried my wife's Compact cranks and the 170mm crank length really bothered me. I don't know how you feel on shorter cranks, but I couldn't do it. If you get an SRM Pro, you can get any length crank used and then swap-out the crank you need.

cjs

by cjs

cslone wrote:But I HATE the mounting as opposed to the SRM.

pardon my ignorance but can't you just use the PowerControl VI unit? AFAIK both use ANT+.

cslone

by cslone

Possibly, and a great option I did not think about. But at $1200 for the PCVI that's pretty steep. I can get a wired PCV DA/SRAM for $1600-1800.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

More headunit options for quarq will hit the market, though it could take a while.

footwerx

by footwerx

you might consider the iAero. It's lighter than a garmin 705 and has a pretty secure mounting system.

Another cheaper alternative is the new Garmin 310XT which is a watch you can strap to something or just wear it on your wrist, but that's an unproven product at this point.

ras11

by ras11

My vote would not be for the SRM. I would keep the Quarq and Garmin. I have this combo for some time, and the Garmin is hard to beat if you ask me. But I totally understand your comment regarding the zip ties.

Someone out there could make some good $ selling a $20 plastic bit that "bolts" onto the bar/stem like the SRM that mounts a Garmin. There has to be some poor college student out there with some free time. Any takers?
:-) Toys-R-Us

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markc

by markc

cslone wrote:
I have a chance to get a low use SRM pro with SRAM cranks and PC V. I've seen the SRM's on the road but never ridden or actually messed with one in person.

Also, I ride 175mm's typically, the SRM is 172.5mm. I know only 2.5mm, but is there a way to swap spiders from the 172.5's to my current 175's?

1) The wired SRM with PCV is a great combination. The display gives you everything you want in one neat package and even the interval mode is well thought out. It's very easy to use.

2) You can slope / calibrate them at home. Directions on the web. You can also do your own battery swaps on the crank if you want to. There was just a nice thread on this in WW.

3) If you can buy one used at a good price why not get it, try it, and if you like it keep it and if not just resell? It won't take you long to decide if you like it better than the Quark setup.

4) Don't know about the spiders but just write SRM in Boulder. They are really good about responding to email and supporting the product.

--Mark