Who makes this rim?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

Hope are building them up onto their own hubs. 1456g a pair, not bad for £950.

but is it just a generic cheapy rim?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

footwerx

by footwerx

that weight is pretty easy to hit with the generic 50mm carbon tub rims from gigantex. Planet X 50s with CX Rays were at that weight as of 2 years ago with novatec hubs. and PX 50s are 50% cheaper.

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

I'm after a top quality set of wheels that are'nt just light, not all that fussed about the weight (Can I say that on here?).

What I am after is stiffness. I don't want wheel that flexes and rubs the brake blocks when I stamp on the gas.

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

Email reply from Hope...

Hi, they are made by a reputable company, but that is all I can tell
you. Sorry about that.

Could they be the 4ZA rim as used on the FSA RD-488 wheels? Looks similar with the change in carbon appearance on the braking surface.

eigner

by eigner

Sounds like Gigantex (like "everyone" else) :noidea:
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

legs 11

by legs 11

Yes, it looks like a Gigantex rim.
Pretty good part though?
If you want low lateral flex you need to think about the flange width of the hubs, as well as the spoke type.
Tunes/Gigantex 50mm rims and DT comps builds into an incredibly stiff wheel at 20/24h, radial front and 2X rear.
Weight shouldn't be a priority on a 50mm aero build really, I prefer to focus on stiffness and speed rather than weight......if you want a climbing wheel go shallow.
Pedalling Law Student.

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

Hi Legs, long time, no errr forum chat...?

I agree that weight isnt a top priority. I am only 64kg but I can put out ~1400W in a sprint in the lab. A bit different to the road I know but I was chuffed none the less.

I liked the idea of this wheelset as the hubs will be bombproof and I already have all the drifts and hub rests for servicing from my MTB hubs.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Just watch out for hope & 11v non-compatible problem.

Legs just mentioned it, but its worth noting that comps will add a lot to the stiffness on a wheel compared with revs / lasers, which a lot of guys will use in preference to save some grams.

I was training on a 50mm wheel today & really noticed the flex of the rev DS rear spokes, when comparing it to a 40mm wheel which has comps throughout.. quite off putting when your doing hill sprints & your other wheels don't have that weird slow bouncing feeling.

The weight difference for 12x 2.5g is pretty low (i.e. a 24h rear), so seems like a worthwhile trade to me.

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

The wheels come factory built with Sapim CX-Ray straight pulls.

£855 with the 10% off at my lbs. Thought they would be a good medium between top end DA/Fulcrum type stuff and the lower priced PX etc products.

JensW

by JensW

evenfasterson wrote:The wheels come factory built with Sapim CX-Ray straight pulls.

£855 with the 10% off at my lbs. Thought they would be a good medium between top end DA/Fulcrum type stuff and the lower priced PX etc products.

a friend of mine, have two of those Hope wheelsets, looks realy great and the quality of the buildup is realy good.

Tug Boat

by Tug Boat

If by PX you mean Planet X...They use gigantex rims as well.

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

I did mean planet X wheels. However they use cheap spokes and hubs and are machine built I think.

The Hope ones are hand built from start to finish.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

You can't go far wrong with anything from Hope as long as you're happy enough with the weights.

footwerx

by footwerx

px use cx rays or dt aerolites. and they're handbuilt.

i used to own a pair of their 82mm tubs and the build quality was very very good. only reason i sold them was i couldn't handle the 82mm rim depth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timerider

by timerider

Looks like my ControlTech rims.