Zero Gravity Brake Owners Poll

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

John979

by John979

On another forum, I saw a post that rather pompously described Zero Gravity brakes as "laughable." I have a set of 2005 ti, and love them.

For all Zero Gravity brake owners, please respond.
John979

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Number9

by Number9

You don't need external reinforcement to rationalize your choice. They either work well for you or they don't. I have two sets of Campy Record and two sets of 0-G ti. They all have more than adequate stopping power and great brake modulation. The Campy calipers are a little more rigid and the 0-G calipers are a lot lighter. Optimize for the parameters that are more important to you, make a choice, and be happy.
Attachments
CIMG0294_sm.JPG
002_sml_129.jpg
Last edited by Number9 on Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

I love them. I have used Campy Record for many years, always considering their componentry to be the standard by which others are judged. My ZG .04's stop as good as Campy's and weigh substantialy less. This is a win win purchase!
More than 10 years a Weenie!

danielgillett

by danielgillett

I purchased a set of ZG-05 Ti brakes online from Wise Cycle Buys. Ted Ciamillo sent them directly from his factory! They arrived in New Zealand in under 7 days!

The brakes took a bit of adjustment to get right, but now they work better than my previous Chorus brakes!

The one mistake that i made is trying to use a koolstop aluminium brake surface brake pad in conjunction with my Campa' Proton training wheels. This didn't work as the pads were too 'fat' to allow the brake to properly extend for enough closure. The error was fixed by using the 'thinner' Corima all-rim-type pads provided.

The one downside to them is that they were a bit heavier than claimed, I weighed them on a new set of schoenle scales and also the scales on a Tiso display, and they came in at 182-183g.

Superlite

by Superlite

The one downside to them is that they were a bit heavier than claimed, I weighed them on a new set of schoenle scales and also the scales on a Tiso display, and they came in at 182-183g.

Zero G's are actually lighter then claimed weight, by about 2g. The claimed weight is with the Corima cork pads, claimed weight is 168g, but they are really around 166g. The weight you are saying that is heavier then claimed weight is with the kool stop pads, so not true.

danielgillett

by danielgillett

Sorry Superlite, I forgot, you must be right. :roll:

I weighed them on two scales, straight out of the box, with the rear encasing bolts on, and with the corima pads in. They weighed 182-183g.

Superlite

by Superlite

Quality control is so high with Zero G that there is no way you received a 182g set with corima cork pads, that is the exact weight of mine with the kool stop black pads which are 6g per pad vs 2g per pad.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Never say never, dude.

Superlite

by Superlite

Never say never, dude.

?

danielgillett

by danielgillett

Superlite,

What i don't think you are yet to understand is that your ignorance is the reason for your unpopularity, and this situation is a pefect example of how you can't accept that you are incorrect.

Two words, Nine syllables, Twenty Three Letters:
Manufacturing Tolerances

On sunday, when i can get my bike back (it has just been put in the team car) after my race, i will post images of the brakes being of that weight. I think some wear in the brake pads will vary the result by a gram or two, but they will definitely in the region of 180g.

Superlite

by Superlite

Superlite,

What i don't think you are yet to understand is that your ignorance is the reason for your unpopularity, and this situation is a pefect example of how you can't accept that you are incorrect.

Two words, Nine syllables, Twenty Three Letters:
Manufacturing Tolerances

On sunday, when i can get my bike back (it has just been put in the team car) after my race, i will post images of the brakes being of that weight. I think some wear in the brake pads will vary the result by a gram or two, but they will definitely in the region of 180g.

Dude, I don't know what your problem is with me, but stop. I don't appreciate you rudeness towards me.

As for your brakes weighing 180g, no way. Manufacturing tolerences on a part that small varies by a few grams at most. Only way your brakes could weigh that much is if you had steel back nuts instead of the aluminum ones provided, or some other changes.

I have talked to Ted about the weight of the new OG-05 and he has told me that he purposly increased the claimed weight 2 grams from what they actually were comming out at to count for manufacturing tolerances. 9/10 sets weigh 166g, the other maybe 168.

I have owned every set of brakes Ted has made, from the CAT Claws, Zero G, and the OG-05. The arm weight of all the sets has been very similar on all of the generations, within 5g of each other. Yours could only weigh 15g over the claimed weight if you dod some changes or modifactions to stock setup.

No offense, but I know a little bit more about these brakes then you do.

danielgillett

by danielgillett

Superlite wrote:No offense, but I know a little bit more about these brakes then you do.

Do you know so much as to tell me what the weight of mine are? As stated, they are 182-183g, and no, they haven't been altered. So it seems, Superlite, that you don't know more than i do about these brakes, and it seems that your ignorance is forever present.

martin

by martin

@Superlite and Danielgillett:

please turn down the volume. it *should* be possible to talk about such a simple matter without getting personal, agressive and insulting.
If you two guys have a personal problem with each other, please settle that aoutside this BB. Thank you!

Thread closed.
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com