best training clincher wheels under 1600 grams??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

I doubt it - mine came in at 1490g too. I've never had any trouble whatsoever with freehub wear on my three pairs of K's depite masses of terrible English weather.

Three clubmates and I had great enthusiasm for the new 7800s this time last year. All of us have now sold them and gone back to K's.

I owned Ksyrium SL2's last year, had 5K miles, I loved them. Mine weighed about 1560g, don't see how you got a 1490g set, Mavic never has wheels lite as they claim, I'd like to see yours on a scale. I've never seen a set lighter then 1550g, and I have weighed over a dozen sets in different shops at different times. 100g lighter then DA? I don't think so, maybe 40g tops.

I am now riding DA 7800's and they feel much more lively then they Ksyrium SL2's, not to mention the have signifcantly lower rotational mass. DA wheels have VERY heavy hubs due to large bodies and large axles (15mm both front and rear). Front hub is in excess of 170g, rear is around 270g. Dura Ace wheels also have a MUCH more aero rim, hidden spoke nipple and an aero shaped rim.

SO.....

Unless your using campy, the obvious choice is DA 7800 as they are superior to SL2's.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SL2's, but the DA's are better. If you ask me, alot of people out there just buy the Ksyriums because they look cool. :lol:

HakeemT

by HakeemT

I like the debate about ksyriums vs. 7800, but this is about a set of training wheels. Why would you spend that much money on a set of wheels 'just' for training?
For half the price you can make yourself some wheels that are just as good as the ksyriums or 7800's (except for looks maybe).

Just go for a set of hand-built wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rico

by rico

SL -

Our experiences of these two wheelsets are completely opposite. I guess you have your preference and I have mine.

But...if you like them so much...why are you selling them?

rico

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

SL is right all the way.

Anyway: did you consider the Cosmic Elites? At around 1900 grams they are out of your target, still these puppies ride exceptionally well. They are stiff and very, very aero. I love them, cheap too for the 240,- EUR I payed shipped.

divve

by divve

rico wrote:
divve wrote:Unlikely 100 grams less for '05. If that were the case, Mavic advertising would plaster all over the place that they were 1387g.

No - Mavic have consistently claimed around 1500-1510 for SL2s - and my experience (and that of Cycling+) seem to bear this out.

I think you're being unfair to Mavic. I don't think I've seen a single ad in the UK (though perhaps things are different elsewhere) in which Mavic trumpet the weight of their wheels in the way you suggest.

rico

Actually, their track record on weight is consistent with what I suggest. Another example is the weight of OP rims.

Superlite

by Superlite

I'm not selling them, I'm riding them. :roll:

This did get a bit off target, but not really. DA 7800 wheels are easy to get for $500 or less NIB, ebay!

So for $500 why not get them? They are strong enough for everyday use, light enough, and most definatly race worthy. They are the best all round wheel if you ask me.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Did I mention that the 1900 g Cosmic Elites were good for 30,000+ meters (roughly 100,000 feet) of climbing during the 2 week training camp on Mallorca?

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Superlite wrote:

Maybe he was confused and thinking of when you WERE offering them for sale. :roll:

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I have to agree on the price of the 7800's on eBay. I bought my first set slightly used with tires for $420 landed and my 2nd set new in the box for $525 landed. The guy I bought the 2nd set from said he had 25 sets and had alredy sold 21 of them on eBay. :D
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

divve

by divve

Superlite wrote:So for $500 why not get them? They are strong enough for everyday use, light enough, and most definatly race worthy. They are the best all round wheel if you ask me.

Because for a similar price you can build your own that are just as durable, lighter, and look better. Also, most of the weight saved is at the rims.....for whatever that's worth.

Leroni

by Leroni

sh da7700 with open pro rims
if your riding alot of k's dont take ultegra

or better trainingwheels
dt 340 hubs (cost less the 240 s ) and dt rim

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Cant work out why anyone would want light wheels to train on really.I'd go for velocity deepv (30m, roughly 550g rim) with duraace hubs. If you build them with 28 each end they'll be bomb proof. Would probably be close to 1700g. Cant see the rims costing more than 40 bucks rrp.

I'd be more than happy to race on shimano 7800 or ksyriums. Still trying to work out how the radial drive side spoking works on the shimanos though, goes against everything I ever learnt about building a good wheel. From what Ive seen avoid the lower down shimano wheels at all costs, the spokes seem to be made out of something that closely resembles pipe cleaner metal.

rico

by rico

Racing Aardvark wrote:
Superlite wrote:

Maybe he was confused and thinking of when you WERE offering them for sale. :roll:

Well it's easy to get confused about SL's attitude to a set of wheels he's still trying to sell. No luck yet eh SL?:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... php?t=5390

:roll:

rico

digger

by digger

Superlite wrote:
Unless your using campy, the obvious choice is DA 7800 as they are superior to SL2's.

Say's you :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eddd

by eddd

What about the Reynolds Alta wheels. I think they make three versions, has anyone tried them.

What is the ovious answer if you want a Dampagnolo compatible wheel?

eddd