Question about mixing Campy and Shimano parts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ctkrohn

by ctkrohn

Hey,

I'm planning to upgrade to Campy Chorus because I really prefer the Ergopower shifting system. However, I'd like to spend as little money as possible.

Can I use the Chorus shifters with my current Ultegra-9 front derailleur and crankset? I know that I have to get a new rear derailleur, chain, and cassette. Will I have any trouble using my Ultegra brakes with the Chorus levers?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spoke n words

by spoke n words

You shouldnt have any problems running your Ultegra brakes, front der, and crank. You may have to change chainrings however. Most aftermarket chainrings are 9/10 compatible i.e. FSA. If your current rings are fairly new then they will probably be fine. good luck

Mr_Potatohead

by Mr_Potatohead

You don' really need a new derailleur, chain , or cassette. All you need is this

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

I run a 9 speed Ultegra with a 10 speed Dura Ace chain and a 10 Speed Ultegra cassette along with Campy Record 10 ergo shifters. No problem at all.

[Napoleon Dynamite voice] Sweeet !!! [/Napoleon Dynamite Voice]

ctkrohn

by ctkrohn

thanks for the advice.

I don't think I'll go with the Shiftmate because I want to upgrade to 10-speed. If I'm going to get a 10-speed rear derailleur and cassette, I might as well get a Campy one.

My Ultegra-9 chainrings are pretty worn down... I guess I will be getting a new crank at some point. I'm liking the Ritchey WCS compact ones...

big fellow

by big fellow

my question about mixing parts:

I want to run a full campy drive train with pulsion cranks and shimano wheels.

Basically the only problem I can foresee is with the shimano wheels and the difference in shimano vs campy sprockets.

What is the difference between shimano and campy spacers? I have individual sprockets, not cassettes so I should be able to change the spacers and rectify the problem.

Or not that simple??? :?:

bobalou

by bobalou

big fellow wrote:my question about mixing parts:

I want to run a full campy drive train with pulsion cranks and shimano wheels.

Basically the only problem I can foresee is with the shimano wheels and the difference in shimano vs campy sprockets.

What is the difference between shimano and campy spacers? I have individual sprockets, not cassettes so I should be able to change the spacers and rectify the problem.

Or not that simple??? :?:

Didn't you just ask this question a couple weeks ago? :lol: :lol:

I think the answer should be the same .. get a conversion cassette or roll the dice and try the DA cassette with campy drivetrain. A few brave souls believe it works but .. maybe if it doesn't then add a jtek shiftmate.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... php?t=5352

Or.. just get a fixie. :thumbup:

big fellow

by big fellow

you have a good memory bob, rather an observant fellow :wink:

i did but in the course of doing some research on it all decided to run a full drivetrain reather than mix and match the components - hence my question..

anyone here use a shiftmate?

bobalou

by bobalou

big fellow wrote:you have a good memory bob, rather an observant fellow :wink:

i did but in the course of doing some research on it all decided to run a full drivetrain reather than mix and match the components - hence my question..

anyone here use a shiftmate?

If you want a good WW solution seems the cycle dynamics cassette is the best bet. They cost only a little more then the DA and are considerably lighter and certainly are bound to shift better, being conversion cassettes they're setup exactly for campy spacing.

bc909

by bc909

It seems to all boil down to what wheels you want to use. If you stick to one wheel spacing Campy or Shimano, you can pretty much get the rest of everything else to work together with a shiftmate. If you want to mix wheels between Campy and Shimano, then you will need to go with a conversion cassette, and adjust the limit screws.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

spoke n words wrote:You may have to change chainrings however.

If necessary, changing the inner chainring is sufficient. Shimano's outer chainrings in 9 and 10 speed are virtually identical (technically that is, not visibly of course). The inner chainring's teeth are pushed further towards the outer chainring. (measured my DA9 and DA10 earlier to check compatibility)