Where to buy internal nipples in the UK?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AliMcN

by AliMcN

I have searched the internet for stockists of internal nipples but have found nothing.
Any ideas?

mitre_tester

by mitre_tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

No idea what internal nipples you're looking for but often these are nothing less than normal nipples turned upside down.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Not really. For internal nipples, it's easier to use round head nipples like these sapims. You can get them in alu or brass. For carbon rims it also helps to grease them a little. Any shop can order them for you..
Attachments
nipple.jpg
nipple.jpg (7.01 KiB) Viewed 3599 times

hockinsk

by hockinsk

I can confirm I built my Gigantex rims just using the nipples upside down and have had no problems. Many of the cheaper deep sections are built like this and even Corima's used to too.

Biggest problem with deep sections and upside down nipples is finding the long crucifix-type spoke key. You can sometimes find an old Corima one that used to come with their wheelsets or order one from a Corima stockist.

Edit: UK Sapim distributor couldn't supply those non slotted nipples when I asked. They couldn't even supply straight-pull CX-Rays either. Had to get them from the States in the end. How Ironic that i'm only a hundred miles or so from the Factory!

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

hockinsk wrote:I can confirm I built my Gigantex rims just using the nipples upside down and have had no problems. Many of the cheaper deep sections are built like this and even Corima's used to too.

Biggest problem with deep sections and upside down nipples is finding the long crucifix-type spoke key. You can sometimes find an old Corima one that used to come with their wheelsets or order one from a Corima stockist.

Edit: UK Sapim distributor couldn't supply those non slotted nipples when I asked. They couldn't even supply straight-pull CX-Rays either. Had to get them from the States in the end. How Ironic that i'm only a hundred miles or so from the Factory!

eww.. that sucks. i prefer to build with those for internal nipples. why didn't you order them from a european store ?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Not many European stores stock Sapim.
Very few offer straight pull spokes let alone in the sizes you're normally looking for in combination with deep dish rims.

As much as I'm a fan of Sapim spokes, they're distribution model truly sucks.

Corima should also get rid of they're monopolitarian U.K. distributors and learn to speak English so they can handle simple orders from Anglo-Saxon customers.
I wouldn't even be surprised to learn it to be against European trade regulations anyway.

BTW, Sapim offers special nipples to be used specifically as internal nipples if you can get them....
In fact they offer just about any spoke imaginable but unless you can wave big bank notes about I doubt you'd ever see any of it.

A bit of shame really. Especially so nowadays..... :cry:

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

GZA

by GZA

hockinsk wrote:Biggest problem with deep sections and upside down nipples is finding the long crucifix-type spoke key. You can sometimes find an old Corima one that used to come with their wheelsets or order one from a Corima stockist.

http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/products/details.aspx?pRef=88178&vertical=1&v=

Leloby

by Leloby

Those barrel style 'bullet-nose' Pillar nips are hard to find. Chain Reaction do them in the form of Cane Creek nips but they are Pillar also - and also very expensive.

You can use upturned standard Sapim nips without any problems on Gigantex rims as there is plenty carbon in the nipple bed and they aren't that sharp anyway.

If you really need a short hex nip then get some DT Hex and grind the square section off each. Its a faff but if its a shallow rim like a Hyperon or Gigantex 19mm and you are really stuck, its works well.

AliMcN

by AliMcN

I am looking to replace spokes on an Xtreme Carbon Matrix rear wheel (45mm), reviews have talked about the rim being reinforced so as to not pull the nipple through.
As a result of this do you think an upside down standard nipple would be OK?

Leloby

by Leloby

Yes, I've rebuilt them before with an upside down Sapim.

legs 11

by legs 11

Inverted standard nipples IMO are a bit of a last resort (Bodge :lol: ), you have to file the slot so there is no sharp edges and you'll need the Corima tool as well and that'll cost you more than buying the correct 3/16th nipples anyway.
Give me a PM as I have plenty of them (Pillar nylocs) here and I can give you a price for some.
Pedalling Law Student.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Do Campagnolo Boras & Corimas still use standard Sapim nipples, inverted?

aerozy

by aerozy

Hey folks! Sorry to bring up this old thread but I need some help.

I just recently broke a spoke on my edge 65 set which uses internal nipples. I hadnt realized they were so hard to find!

Anyone know where I could order pillar or sapim internal nipples in Europe? I know wheelbuilder and fairwheel sell them but the shipping to Europe is 40USD!
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Hardly ideal ordering internationally for a few grams of nipples and washers but I use -

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Pillar-Nipples%20and%20Washers.asp

Cheap and quick to the UK even with the customs delay.