Colnago EPS vs Colnago Extreme-C

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marlowwheels

by Marlowwheels

Apologies to those who have advised me on Colnago C50 vs Pinarello Prince. In an effort to stick closer to Colnago but get a more full on racing frame, I decided to go for the Extreme-C and build a great lightweight bike (I weigh 72kgs and 178cm tall). Having reviewed the 2009 Colnago website and spoken to someone associated with the Rabobank team that has used the EPS Colnagos, I am confused. Based on the website, it appears that the latest technology is in the EPS (and CX-1 for that matter which I am not looking at as a classic Colnago Italian made lugged frame) whereas the Extreme-C may be lighter than the EPS but has the same geometry as the C50 and has perhaps not benefited from the latest technology. Before I finalise my order with Colnago, I would really appreciate any insights on whether I should go for the latest technology and stiffness in the EPS or the lightness but slightly older technology in the Extreme-C? Perhaps the other advantage of the EPS is that the sizing allows me to get a traditional top tube close to my ideal measurements whereas in the Extreme-C I need to go for the sloping top tube. Thank you.

addicted

by addicted

Just my opinion, but if you are looking for lightweight, I wouldn't bother with Colnago (and I love Colnagos).
The only Colnago I've ever seen come apart at a tube junction was an Extreme -C....
If you want a C50, EP or EPS, great, super top notch frames IMHO.
If you want a lightweight performer, look at some of the other brands offering sub 900 gram frames (Cervelo, Scott, Isaac, etc etc).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

What did the person with ties to Rabbobank have to say? If they've been using the EPS, I'd be curious what their thoughts are.

mika

by mika

Hello, does anyone weight the EPS frameset? size 48s will be nice :D thanks

CharlesM

by CharlesM

It's your call...

The extreme C is lighter.

I think the EPS not only has better stiffness (not over the top but good) but rides just as well. It may even be a tidge smoother.

I think you'll note the better fit and stiffness more than you would saving not a whole lot of non rotating weight...

Once frames get within 200 grams of one another I toss weight right out the window...