Frame Advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eddd

by eddd

Frame Advice:

Unfortunately I need to buy a new bike and was looking for some advice on frames. My previous bike was built around a 54cm Seven Axiom frame that I got a great deal on. I was very happy with the bike but really had nothing to compare it to since I had not ridden a road bike in about 15 years. I do not race and do not for see ever doing so. I am much more of a spinner. I enjoy climbing, if you can call it enjoyable. I do an occasional centaury, 2 or 3 a year. I do not want to replace the frame every year or two. I am curious about people’s opinions on materials, especially since I have only ridden a titanium frame. What do people think of the ti/carbon frames, have there been problems with the joints? Carbon intrigues me but the longevity makes me nervous. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. I am putting together a build list that I will post when it is done.

eddd

spin110

by spin110

Steel is real!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the kid

by the kid

Definately, al/carbon are overrated, IMO unless youre racing. Either Ti or steel will be much nicer for you when doing centuries. A carbon or especially aluminum bike will be a much harsher, less forgiving ride.
Get steel or ti
(8)climb hard or never be seen(8)

cadence90

by cadence90

Stay with ti...get a Kish. :)
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

hottessa

by hottessa

I have had a couple of OCLV's and they were the most comfortable frames I have ever ridden. In 2 full race seasons they held up perfectly (including a couple of crashes)
www.almendral.com - luxury road & mtb holidays

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

Ti - Dont know, never had one, but I always hear ti's meant to last forever.

Steel - is very nice! I had one once, then broke it! but it was one of the best frames I had, if your not racing on it then you shouldnt break it!

Magnesium(cant spell) - also very nice but breaks easily, I think I broke about 6 or 7 in about 7months. But it was stiff!

Alu - I think of these as disposal frame, some can be good, some can be bad, but they only last for about half of a season! then flexy! Dont get me wrong, the good ones are great!

Fullcarbon - dont know! never had a fullcarbon. Get them on Friday. Carbon is funny, if you know how carbon works, with the layers, its not the carbon that can make a good frame, its how it was laid! So if the builder has no idea which way the fibres are meant to be then you could have a frame beak within a week. So dont compare carbon with carbon!

Thats how they can make it strong one way and weak in other areas to make the ride better. - Its a whole different science!

What else is there......... oh yeah, Alu/carbon! I cant tell the difference! from a Alu/carbon and a Alu!

good luck with your choice.

OLver

by OLver

Titanium rocks

rico

by rico

spin110 wrote:Steel is real!

But carbon fibre takes you, er, higher :lol:

pantani83

by pantani83

OLver wrote:Titanium rocks

ONLY Titanium!!!

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

zakeen wrote:Magnesium(cant spell) - also very nice but breaks easily, I think I broke about 6 or 7 in about 7months. But it was stiff!

What manufacturer were you dealing with? I am working with one in the US that has had no issues with frame breakage.

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

Not really aloud to say.........But a great bike thou!
Attachments
hhhmmmm.JPG

drjones96

by drjones96

Is that the same frame in the three pictures? Or is it three different frames broken in the same place? :shock:

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

drjones96 wrote:Is that the same frame in the three pictures? Or is it three different frames broken in the same place? :shock:

if you have a close look, three(3) different frames. I broke about 6-7, after a while it wore off taking photos, first it was cool and then it was a pain to rebuild a bike so often!!!!!!!!!

Heres another boron steel I broke or cracked, and another but not mine, frames brake all the time.
Attachments
PIC00007.jpg
IMG_5215.jpg

drjones96

by drjones96

after looking at where it broke it looks like it's in the heat-affected zone next to the weld. That's typically where i've seen un-heat treated aluminum frames break.
If you start out with 6061T6 and weld it, the heated area next to the weld becomes a "heat affected zone". At the grainular level the aluminum changes. Instead of elongated grains they become short and not so continuous....weak. The T6 heat treated aluminum next to the weld turns to crap and is no longer T6! But you can get some of the strength back by heat treating the frame after welding....but not all.
Some other metals do the same thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

seeing the colnago broken makes me sad :(