ENVE Fray build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

Hi guys,

thinking of selling my Open WIDE and building up an Enve Fray.

Will use mainly on roads with a bit of light gravel.

Please help me with some ideas:

- Shifting: My dream would be the new Sram Red 1x13s setup, which unfortunatelly will be released at the end of summer (rumor).
Sram XPLR I have on my Mosaic and my winter bike - will not buy it for the Fray.
Dura Ace 12S I really like, but already have it on the C68 and the Aethos.
Any suggestion what I should do? Maybe just wait for the Sram 1x13s?
I use Enve 4.5 AR on my Open MIND configured to to Campi Ekar (DT Swiss 240) - I can just buy a Sram XDR/Shimano rotor and use them on the Fray, correct?

- Tires: I really love the Vittoria Corsa Pro TLR, but I am not sure if they are the right choice for light gravel.
Should I maybe take the Control version? Or the Pirelli P Zero Race TLR?
The Conti GP 5000 S I used in the past, but do not like how they feel.
32mm should be a good option or would you go even wider (34mm)?

Thank you so much,

Alex
Colnago C68- Enve SES 4.5
S-Works Aethos - Enve SES 2.3
Open MIN.D - Enve SES AR 4.5
Mosaic GT2-45 - Enve SES AR 3.4
Open WI.DE - no money for Enve

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sebejo

by sebejo

i'm in a fairly similar situation having a Ti allroad frame with UDH pretty much ready for speccing up.
my best bet at the moment is to get the hoods and brakes from the new Red announced anytime soon now and pair it with the current gen XPLR stuff until August (if true). what I gathered it should be completely compatible and if your winter bike has the components already you can just borrow those during the summer. so you can have a new bike day now and once 13spd UDH XPLR comes you can have that new group feeling once again.

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

Thank you!

Any ideas regarding the tires?

I use Enve 4.5 AR on my Open MIND configured to to Campi Ekar (DT Swiss 240) - I can just buy a Sram XDR/Shimano rotor and use them on the Fray, correct?

sebejo

by sebejo

For such bike I prefer an upsized performance road tire rather than a downsized gravel tire so I'd also choose from the likes of Corsa/GP000 etc... Weather to use the sturdier versions (eg. Control) or keep the full road version is a matter of personal risk tolerance :)

For me it's less than 10% gravel and I also do some higher alpine passes where 34mm can get slightly unstable in fast descends in windy conditions. So I settled for 32mm, but if you have the Aethos and the Colnago next to it you might want to experiment with 34mm.

Fot the ENVE you need a new freehub body if you change from Campa - N3W to XDR/Microspline. Luckily for DT240 it is pretty much the easiest to source and install. Your current rotor would actually work with any caliper, so only needed to chnage if you want to keep them groupset correct aesthetically.

pmprego

by pmprego

Why not go for the 2 set of wheelsets? 32mm pirelli TLR - they are awesome and some 36-38c for the more gravelly days.
That's my plan for the future but I dont have those many bikes.

One question regarding the enve handlebars. The AR version are the ones that seems to be specced in most of the review videos. The smalest size of those is 38cm at the hoods (which enve states that it is actually 38.5cm). My question being the flare. I know the drops are supposed to be 5cm more but I'm thinking on how the levers get positioned in the bar.

Do the group levers (brifter??) naturally curve inside or do they sit straight?

I'm asking this because I'm having doubts regarding the ar version (with its 38.5cm width) vs the aero version with its 37cm width. If the AR naturally curve inside, then the hoods (brifters) will end up being some 37cm apart in the end.

Geraint

by Geraint

Levers sit close to vertical on the AR bars, the part where the levers clamp is near vertical then the bar flares out from there to the drop, so the part of the bars you grip when on the drops is at a slight angle. If you're choosing between the AR bars and the aero bars it's worth bearing in mind that the tops of the ARs are much more rounded than the aero bars, the latter being flatter and (imo) less comfortable to hold.

This pic shows what I mean regarding the shape of the flare:

https://149764339.v2.pressablecdn.com/w ... 50x525.jpg

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

pmprego wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:05 am
Why not go for the 2 set of wheelsets? 32mm pirelli TLR - they are awesome and some 36-38c for the more gravelly days.
That's my plan for the future but I dont have those many bikes.

One question regarding the enve handlebars. The AR version are the ones that seems to be specced in most of the review videos. The smalest size of those is 38cm at the hoods (which enve states that it is actually 38.5cm). My question being the flare. I know the drops are supposed to be 5cm more but I'm thinking on how the levers get positioned in the bar.

Do the group levers (brifter??) naturally curve inside or do they sit straight?

I'm asking this because I'm having doubts regarding the ar version (with its 38.5cm width) vs the aero version with its 37cm width. If the AR naturally curve inside, then the hoods (brifters) will end up being some 37cm apart in the end.
How do the Pirellis ride against the cotton cased Vittoria Corsa Pro TLR?

pmprego

by pmprego

Geraint wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:15 pm
Levers sit close to vertical on the AR bars, the part where the levers clamp is near vertical then the bar flares out from there to the drop, so the part of the bars you grip when on the drops is at a slight angle. If you're choosing between the AR bars and the aero bars it's worth bearing in mind that the tops of the ARs are much more rounded than the aero bars, the latter being flatter and (imo) less comfortable to hold.

This pic shows what I mean regarding the shape of the flare:

https://149764339.v2.pressablecdn.com/w ... 50x525.jpg
Thanks. That made it clear. :thumbup:
Will have to tilt the levers than to reduce its width. If I could ask them custom made for me would be closer to 37cm at the hoods rather than 38.5cm but it's not 1cm that will make or break it. Nonetheless, hey enve... just 'kill' the 46cm version and produce instead a 36cm version :D (bmc already went that way with the kaius)

Never tridden the Vittoria Corsa Pro TLR. The pirelli TLR I like a lot and they make some bigger versions - I think they go up to 40c even

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

Maybe I just re use the Ekar I have until the new 1x13s is released...

What do you guys think about that idea?

pmprego

by pmprego

B0tt0mline wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:30 pm
Maybe I just re use the Ekar I have until the new 1x13s is released...

What do you guys think about that idea?
Wasnt that one incompatible?

There were one from campy and one from sram, mechanical if I remember.

jayjay

by jayjay

DRIVETRAIN COMPATIBILITY
Shimano Mechanical 1x Yes
Shimano Mechanical 2x Yes
Shimano Electronic Di2 (1x/2x) Yes
SRAM Mechanical 1x Yes
SRAM Mechanical 2x No (Fray requires continuous housing for FD)
SRAM AXS (1x/2x) Yes
Campy Mechanical 1x Yes
Campy Mechanical 2x No (Fray requires continuous housing for FD)
Campy Electronic EPS Not Compatible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com