Where is new SRAM Red?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I've got the perfect build for this but can't help but wonder, why have we not see new SRAM Red? It's so odd for the top groupset to be the most outdated. We're looking at 4 years since the last update.

Maybe manufacturing problems? It's sells less so not a priority? Waiting to see if road bikes adopt UDH so they can quickly rollout a UDH Red groupset to get everyone on new frames?

Perhaps a major update?
Last edited by rollinslow on Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nooski

by nooski

February 2019 is already 5 years ago? I have to check my calendar. It will come, don't worry ;-)
Dum spiro spero
my bike: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130302

rollinslow

by rollinslow

nooski wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:09 pm
February 2019 is already 5 years ago? I have to check my calendar. It will come, don't worry ;-)
Sorry, 4. Feels like 10.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Lighter, quicker gear shifting and more reliable shifter electronics (battery issues very common on the shifters, not derailleur).

Otherwise axs is already rock solid.

markdjr

by markdjr

It won't be released until next year. Should be a pretty substantial redesign. You can see leaked photos of the pros on new quasi-grx style hoods. I'm expecting/hoping for a better weight savings vs force than the previous gen.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Pretty curious what they can still improve as well. Wasn't there a topic on (potential) improvements of the new flagship group?

Also I believe current stock is an issue. Why pay double for the most outdated groupset of the 3? Not saying the new groups are a massive difference, but the Force D1 is super cheap at the moment.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Question is if it's even nearly possible the crankset with integrated fd is the next thing!?
It would be so far out. Or perhaps a crankset/chainrings which correct chainline to a more optimal angle.
Talking drivetrain i guess there's huge things cooking. Question is how complex such a system can be and still be reliable.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

My quesiton is will it be the first road group utilizing UDH? My guess is Sram will need time to work with bike manucturers if the company wants to go with UDH for road.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

ipenguinking wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:23 pm
My quesiton is will it be the first road group utilizing UDH? My guess is Sram will need time to work with bike manucturers if the company wants to go with UDH for road.
Yeah, I have been wondering this too. There are a lot of issues with UDH on road bikes though. Primarily the axle spacing being wider which means higher chance of hitting your foot on the chainstay. I personally hope they do not put UDH on road bikes because overnight, you just made millions of bikes obsolete for a trivial benefit.

goatalope

by goatalope

It takes time to design wireless brakes! Cut Sram some slack!

ooo

by ooo

mineral oil can attrack more shimano users, if they can do that
'

NotYou

by NotYou

rollinslow wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:28 pm
Yeah, I have been wondering this too. There are a lot of issues with UDH on road bikes though. Primarily the axle spacing being wider which means higher chance of hitting your foot on the chainstay. I personally hope they do not put UDH on road bikes because overnight, you just made millions of bikes obsolete for a trivial benefit.
That ship has already sailed, I guess, as the first new models with UDH have been released this year (Ridley Falcn and Dean Fast) - and Im not sure Ridley would take that step just for the standardized hanger.

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

rollinslow wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:28 pm
ipenguinking wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:23 pm
Then you can fully expect that the industry will move in that direction. It has to. Just to fú¢k everyone over (yet again). :beerchug:

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

eucalyptus wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:32 pm
Lighter, quicker gear shifting and more reliable shifter electronics (battery issues very common on the shifters, not derailleur).

Otherwise axs is already rock solid.
And more reliable FD shifting. And 16t front ring jump. And longer battery life.

Other than everything, it's perfect already. 😅

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:04 am
And more reliable FD shifting.
I would change that to easier FD setup because FD shifting is reliable when it's been set up right. I actually think they've achieved that anyway with the new Force FD and chainset: quick and easy to set up and not a hint of a drop IME.
And 16t front ring jump.
No thanks. I'm very happy with AXS ratios providing smoother transitions at front and requiring fewer compensation shifts.
And longer battery life.
Eh? Battery life is not and has never been an issue. Charging only takes an hour and can be easily done off the bike. You can carry a spare if you're paranoid, but it's not necessary. It's less of a burden than charging your head unit. Having a failover system where you can swap batteries if the RD goes flat is a reassurance you don't get with Di2. BTW, since I beagin running eTap in 2017, I've only had a flat RD once and that was in my first month of ownership when I hadn't quite got it yet.
Other than everything, it's perfect already. 😅
It's actually pretty damned close :mrgreen:

I would like to see compatibility with existing AXS maintained, improved pad clearance, buttons on hoods, weight savings, gold chains :D