Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:30 pm 

Lately i've been seeing more and more people with their shift cables routed so that they don't touch the headtube with the cables crossing underneath the downtube. This provides a cleaner look up front and prevents the housing from rubbing on the headtube. What are the downsides of this approach? Is there any added friction with the cables crossing underneath?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:45 pm 

Its perfectly fine for externally routed cables. It can be tough to not cross them twice though if internal. Can totally be done, but you have to take your time with a little trial and error.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:45 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 pm 

i have mine crossed. it makes for a smoother transition on my Indy Fab bike with mechanical shifting.

- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm 

There is actually less friction using this method as the bends are smoother. Plus, no cable housing touches your frame. The only downside is making sure the cables don't get twisted in the downtube during installation, since you can't see them and generally have to ensure this by "feel". But lately, with some manufacturers putting the cable insertion points dab smack in the middle of the downtube (rather than off to the sides), it can actually make for harsher bends again, so you have to just evaluate each situation as it comes up and use your better judgement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 pm 

Calnago wrote:
The only downside is making sure the cables don't get twisted in the downtube during installation, since you can't see them and generally have to ensure this by "feel".
I had this happen to me once. It was driving me nuts. Got the RD shifting perfectly. Then I started working on the FD, and every time I'd shift up, the RD would shift too. Could not figure out what was going on. Took it to my shop, and the first mechanic was a bit mystified until the second one told him the cables were twisted around each other - he had had it happen to him once before.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:47 pm 

I've run them both ways. No downsides to doing the cable cross, just have to be more careful in running cables, ensuring they are not crossed by keeping tension on one while increasing tension on the other and seeing if there is an effect. As said above, evaluate based on the geometry of the ports.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 pm 

It can be impossible to achieve with external cables without having them rub the downtube - at least I've yet to own a bike where it is doable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm 

Fiery wrote:
It can be impossible to achieve with external cables without having them rub the downtube - at least I've yet to own a bike where it is doable.
Depends where the stops are, the shape of the downtube and the type of bottom bracket guide.

We've only got one bike where it's possible. The others all have too deep a downtube/end stops mounted too high.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm