HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 111  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:17 am 

kthx.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:17 am 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:21 pm 

I use a powertap and I am considering a stages.

I'm sure everyone has some leg power asymmetry, but who trains to even their leg power?

As a former competitive powerlifter, or perhaps anyone that seriously lifts weights, there is some strength asymmetry but this lessens with training and not something I have seen any competitive lifter need to address.

Who with a srm/quarq/vector trains to fix their leg asymmetry - probably not too many.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:22 pm 

I've had PT, SRM, and now stages. If you're training with the PM and not doing rehab, and if you're not doing under 1 min intervals, I see no reason not to use the Stages. It is consistent, and that is what you really need; it may have some issues with very short sprint intervals, but since these are usually performed all out, I don't consider this a practical limitation. The ability to use any wheelset at a low cost, temp compensation, and easy swap are all significant pluses. The only minuses I can see is the cost of changing crankarm length, and for the impatient, the 4 week delivery time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 am 

Has anyone seen any deals on Stages (for less than their retail price)?

I'm interested in a Ultegra crank.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:30 pm 

g32ecs wrote:
Has anyone seen any deals on Stages (for less than their retail price)?

I'm interested in a Ultegra crank.

I think your only chance to find them for less than retail would be ebay and/or used. With how new the PM's are along with the fact that most if not all of the cranks are still on backlog, it's highly unlikely they'll start marking them down anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:09 pm 

Yeah, ebay is the key. I almost bought a SK01 to part out to get a used Ultegra 170 stages and the Di2 but decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Stages has a backlog, because, I believe, they build to order. If you need a 172.5 contact me, I might want to go back to 170, Mine's a DA, but one side of yor bike would look cooler :)

I think Stages might ultimately have to drop their price a bit, as pressures are downward. I'm interested to see if Garmin comes out with a single sided vector at around a grand, that would really change the market.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:53 am 

ahh, I'm going to try my chances during Christmas. I think I'm going to need it 1st week of Feb for an 8 week training block.

the Shimano arms are interchangeable correct? now that I think of it I don't really mind a mismatch.

unfortunately I need a 165 which is hard to find. they do list that size though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:04 am 

The road arms are interchangeable, the xtr not.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:13 pm 

Garmin (Italy) gave me the chance to test Vectors pedals,
here's my rides/test and comparisons so far in a sort of daily "diary": http://goo.gl/cXoCWA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:18 pm 

Peterson wrote:
I'm sure everyone has some leg power asymmetry, but who trains to even their leg power?

As a former competitive powerlifter, or perhaps anyone that seriously lifts weights, there is some strength asymmetry but this lessens with training and not something I have seen any competitive lifter need to address.

Who with a srm/quarq/vector trains to fix their leg asymmetry - probably not too many.

The trouble with single leg measuring has nothing to do with training asymmetry. It has to do with accuracy. Especially if asymmetry varies over the course of a ride, different intensities, and or day to day.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:02 pm 

bricky21 wrote:
... Especially if asymmetry varies over the course of a ride, different intensities, and or day to day.

Which studies indicate it does! Well said.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:05 pm 

There is info out there about pedaling asymmetry. It's the whole basis for things like spin scan, and independent leg power meters such as Garmin Vector. These questions are not just dreamed up. Perhaps someone with better resources could provide some links.

Quote:
From our testing we have found that there is not a large variation from a riders left to right leg while riding. We make the assumption that your right and left leg’s are doing the same amount of work and double the left leg’s power.

For some that is good enough. For others, me included it isn't since it goes against everything I've ever understood about pedaling symmetry limited as it may be.

In my eyes a better question is were are the studies to show that asymmetry doesn't have a significant effect on power analysis as Stages claims?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 pm 

Well, you can look at the DC rainmaker review, where he ran PT, Quarq, Stages and then Vector side by side and logged the data. The only significant difference seemed to be for very short intense bursts. For doing 1 min, 4 min 20 min intervals, it would seem to be perfectly acceptable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:43 am 

Apparently DCRainmaker doesn't have significant asymmetry. If I knew that for sure about myself, Stages would be a reasonable alternative for me. If I didn't know it, then I'd be guessing. If for example you had a consistent 48/52% split you'd already be outside the typical 1.5% accuracy range.

Does that matter? If your asymmetry is consistent then you would have power data that is precise but not accurate. Depending on what you do with it, that may be ok. But you'd have to know that your asymmetry was consistent and did not change with power output, position changes, training, etc. Everything we know about asymmetry says it does change with at least power output and position changes, and I'd expect it to change if you spend time working on your pedalling form. If your asymmetry changes significantly your power data is neither precise nor accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:11 am 

Exactly. My Rotor Power showed that I have a 45/55% L/R balance. This is confirmed by a Garmin Vector I tried. But this will explain why my former P2M powermeter showed 6-8% more power than the Rotor, as that would have assumed that my left leg was doing the same work as the right.

For the record, my balance evens out when I all out.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:11 am 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 111  Next