HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 104  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:12 am 

Ritterview wrote:
Everyone is all concerned for us! The thing is, in recent years spin class bikes have gotten watt meters, and so Mrs. R is aware of her watt output....
How much has been spent on the bike?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:23 pm 

Sykes wrote:
I am looking at getting a Quarq Riken. When you guys talk about power drift, what sort of numbers are we talking? I'm sure this varies depending on the terrain, the individual Quarq, temp and other factors, but are we looking at just a few watts or 10+. Also is there a direct link between temp and drift? Most of my rides start early in the morning and have about a 20°F temp shift.

I think I could live with a little drift, but the idea of having to auto zero frequently during a ride is very off putting.

I'm not sure how I could confirm drift, but I just di back to back whiteface's climb with about 10degree (celcius)variation (per my Garmin so might be more or less) and the calibration numbers moved 2-5 (which is 1-2 watts). I do get a bigger drift on my warmup (from indoors to out). The calibration starts at around 180 and 10-15 minutes letter it will stick around 165 and not move much. The numbers looked ok as well VS my speed.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:23 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:51 pm 

Update from Brim... won't be considering that Brim anytime in the future due to their reliance with speedplay... Vector here I come!

Dear ian xxxxxxxx,

I'm writing to you because you are one of the many people who pre-ordered a Zone power meter from Brim Brothers, and we want to bring you up to date with how we're doing.

We're still working hard, and making progress, although time is slipping past far more quickly than we planned. The Zone power meter is now in field tests, but the work of dealing with the many tasks to get it into volume production is like climbing the Alpe d'Huez or Mont Ventoux at the end of a long Tour de France stage. We can see the top, we know we're getting there, and we just have to keep pushing!

At the moment our plan is to launch the power meter in the first few months of 2014. While that's later than we had hoped, we're putting a huge effort into meeting this schedule. We're very aware that our deadline has slipped a number of times. All we can say in our defence is that the time needed to develop innovative technology and put it into production is very difficult to predict. Over the last six months the company has gone through some structural changes, and we now have extra resources and renewed commitment to our goals.

We are still not announcing a price, but we are keeping a very close watch on trends in the power meter market. Price will be announced much closer to launch.

Speedplay Zero is still the pedal/cleat system that our first version will work with.

One piece of new information I can give you now is that the Zone power meter will provide the new "torque effectiveness" and "pedal smoothness" values that some Garmin displays will be able to show. These two data values will provide a measure of your cycling style and efficiency. In general, the Zone will work with any ANT+ display that can show power and cadence, and if the display is able to show them you will also see left/right power balance, torque effectiveness, and pedal smoothness.

Lastly, we'll be attending Eurobike on 28th and 29th August, and Interbike on 18th, 19th and 20th September. If you will be at either of those, then please let us know. We'd love to meet you and find out what you want from your Zone power meter.

Thanks for your patience and support,
Barry Redmond
CEO, Brim Brothers
brimbrothers.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:52 pm 

53x12 wrote:
From Brim Brothers:

Quote:
At the moment our plan is to launch the power meter in the first few months of 2014. While that's later than we had hoped, we're putting a huge effort into meeting this schedule. We're very aware that our deadline has slipped a number of times. All we can say in our defence is that the time needed to develop innovative technology and put it into production is very difficult to predict. Over the last six months the company has gone through some structural changes, and we now have extra resources and renewed commitment to our goals.

We are still not announcing a price, but we are keeping a very close watch on trends in the power meter market. Price will be announced much closer to launch.

Speedplay Zero is still the pedal/cleat system that our first version will work with.

One piece of new information I can give you now is that the Zone power meter will provide the new "torque effectiveness" and "pedal smoothness" values that some Garmin displays will be able to show. These two data values will provide a measure of your cycling style and efficiency. In general, the Zone will work with any ANT+ display that can show power and cadence, and if the display is able to show them you will also see left/right power balance, torque effectiveness, and pedal smoothness.

So since they aren't announcing a price and want to see how the trends in the power meter market go, I assume that means checking out how the Vector does. If Vector does ok at $1700, then they can come in at $1500 as an alternative. If Vector does poorly, does that mean BB go towards the $1000 price point? I want the Vector to be successful as I think it is a quality product, but for pricing I hope they don't so pricing can come down.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:47 pm 

Ritterview,

Are you sure that setup will read correct values?
I mean for example if the front rider is pedalling, the other's pedals are turning too, even if he/she doesn't put real power into it.
I don't know what it would read, but somehow I feel it might be dodgy.
Someone with more math/phisics knowledge?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:55 pm 

Why wouldn't it? The front and rear pedals are paired with their own head units. They'll show how much power is going into each pedal just as if they were on a single rider bike.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:08 am 

On a single rider bike the only power that makes the pedals turn is via the pedals. Not on a tandem.
Maybe it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:56 am 

ave wrote:
On a single rider bike the only power that makes the pedals turn is via the pedals. Not on a tandem.
Maybe it doesn't matter.

Hub, spider, chain and obviously wheel units don't work to differentiate rider power on a tandem.

Only crank arm, pedal, or cleat systems will work.

This is because captain power is transmitted through the stoker's crank.

True, if there's no rider in the stoker's seat, then it takes finite power to rotate the stoker pedals due to wind resistance of the pedals. This could theoretically read as a negative stoker power. But it would be a very small effect. With both riders pedaling, the power numbers should be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:17 pm 

That tandem is cool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:06 pm 

NEW power meter from Power2max 8)

Power2max TYPE S

Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lswMXVFYULo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a Garmin Edge Out-Front mount, click here !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:16 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:14 pm 

It looks like Power2Max type S battery compartment does not sticks out from the spider like the old model. This would make it more compatible with solid chainrings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:28 pm 

FUDGE!

Just did the bank transfer for my P2M. :roll: :evil: :evil: :x

EDIT: I'm it's 10 days since I did the transfer. Cancellation period looks like 14 days. Maybe I should cancel and wait to see what happens. I don't really need a new PM until next season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:37 pm 

MattSoutherden wrote:
FUDGE!

Just did the bank transfer for my P2M. :roll: :evil: :evil: :x

EDIT: I'm it's 10 days since I did the transfer. Cancellation period looks like 14 days. Maybe I should cancel and wait to see what happens. I don't really need a new PM until next season.

It will be a good idea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:26 pm 

Tillquist wrote:
[It will be a good idea

Do you know if it will be BB386 compatible? if it is - and if the price still is right this will likely be my next powermeter

/Martin

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:26 pm 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 104  Next