New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ddj5300

by ddj5300

Release notes

News on version 2.5.225
 Progress bar while loading activities
 Button for log report with attached PC8Settings file
 Check the consistence of the serial number
 Different color for messages (green if OK, red if ERROR, blue if QUESTION)
 SRMNews
 New metrics (CP4, CP16...)
 Wireless inteface and UploadServer connectivity
 GPS moved to bike profiles
 Automatic altitude calibration during the ride
 Improved FTP calculation
 New ResfFULL Training Peaks API
 Added Velo HERO gateway
 Screenshots management: save, upload to Facebook, Twitter and send by email
 Scheduled update agent implemented (scans every hour for updates)
 More usability effects: informations, icons...
 Minor bug fixing and improvements
 News on version 2.1.191
 Automatic start can be disabled
 Automatic start registry key is moved from global to specific user
 Added Chinese and Russian language support
 Added tooltip to the display widgets
 New Widgets: Grade, 30s Live VAM, Torque, AVR Torque and MAX Torque, Total elapsed time, 4min MAX and AVR Power
 Interval time in addition to ride time
 Screen modifications: added Total VAM to Ride Overview Screen, added Auto FTP enabled in data menu, added FTP increase, decrease if Auto FTP is disabled in data menu, added configurable interval screen, added configurable interval overview screen, added dynamics images for screen workflow
 Training zones modifications: added Power Zones by percent of FTP user defined and Coggan scheme
 Support for auto FTP calculation
 Support for manual altitude calibration
 Support for ANT+ continuos scan
 Added city and fat bike profiles
 Changed user age into date of birth
 Bike profile's names and PC8 display's names allow empty spcaes

News on version 1.0.171
 Fixed the upload firmware problem
 Changed inApp messages timeout
 Managed the download error 30

Release date Wed Mar 15 2017
MD5: 4c71b4dca23e42c2ea91c8f5a6c9b433

ooo

by ooo

Next Apple Watch with wind resistance measured power meter

US patent:
20170074897 (filled 2016/09/14, published 2017/03/16)

http://pimg-faiw.uspto.gov/fdd/97/2017/48/007/0.pdf
Attachments
apple-power-meter.jpg
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

So it is basically an iBike Newton or Powerpod? This patent will never be granted as there is already too much prior art in the area. It is also staggeringly vague about the implementation.

I have a Powerpod, it actually works surprisingly well when compared with my Powertaps. It doesn't really work on a wet day though as the rain and mist interferes with the wind speed measurement. I think it is a great device though, but it needs to be a little cheaper.

kart17

by kart17

MisterMuncher wrote:Took delivery of the Powerbox last night. So far, seems well enough made, rings stiff enough, power measure seems entirely reasonable and doesn't get foxed by my deliberate attempts to get bad readings from it. Rings shift well enough, about as well as one might expect. Fitted in about 10 minutes into BB30 with FSA spacers, chainline/FD adjustment (tiny) included. It looks better IRL than in photos, too.

Minor concern with the battery cover, which is some kind of rubbery plastic held by spring clips, akin to what the Power2Max NG has over the USB port. Didn't strike me as durable or particularly well thought out. Time will tell. I've been wrong before.

All in all, I'm quite impressed initially. I've a little early adapter regret, knowing it'll get discounted to all hell once stock levels improve, but both companies have produced a functional product that cuts the price floor.

Question for you will Shimano 4 bolt chainrings fit on it? I have some absoluteblack rings that I got for my ultegra crank, but would like to get a powermeter. I obviously don't want to spend money only to find out my chainrings won't work. Thanks.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Anyone know is there any weight difference between Quarq dzero hidden bolt and non-hidden bolt version? Only different in spider angle?
Last edited by Kumppa on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffy

by jeffy

maquisard wrote:So it is basically an iBike Newton or Powerpod? This patent will never be granted as there is already too much prior art in the area. It is also staggeringly vague about the implementation.

I have a Powerpod, it actually works surprisingly well when compared with my Powertaps. It doesn't really work on a wet day though as the rain and mist interferes with the wind speed measurement. I think it is a great device though, but it needs to be a little cheaper.

What i dont understand is how it manages to work (if it indeed does) when there is strong winds :noidea:

Apparently there is an update that includes a calculation to work out rolling resistance, again ?? :noidea:

I can totally buy into it being accurate-ish, on a still day with good road surfaces.

maquisard

by maquisard

- It would have to rely on a dynamic air pressure sensor like the Powerpod/iBike Newton does. This needs to be mounted on the bike in a suitable position to accurately measure incident wind speed.

- Rolling resistance can be inferred from vibrations through the frame, but again the sensor needs to be frame mounted and tire pressures kept within a know tolerance.

kervelo

by kervelo

Apple power meter will never happen. The market is too small.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

kart17 wrote:
MisterMuncher wrote:Took delivery of the Powerbox last night. So far, seems well enough made, rings stiff enough, power measure seems entirely reasonable and doesn't get foxed by my deliberate attempts to get bad readings from it. Rings shift well enough, about as well as one might expect. Fitted in about 10 minutes into BB30 with FSA spacers, chainline/FD adjustment (tiny) included. It looks better IRL than in photos, too.

Minor concern with the battery cover, which is some kind of rubbery plastic held by spring clips, akin to what the Power2Max NG has over the USB port. Didn't strike me as durable or particularly well thought out. Time will tell. I've been wrong before.

All in all, I'm quite impressed initially. I've a little early adapter regret, knowing it'll get discounted to all hell once stock levels improve, but both companies have produced a functional product that cuts the price floor.

Question for you will Shimano 4 bolt chainrings fit on it? I have some absoluteblack rings that I got for my ultegra crank, but would like to get a powermeter. I obviously don't want to spend money only to find out my chainrings won't work. Thanks.

I haven't any four bolt Shimano rings to hand to check, but intially I'd say probably not. The FSA design is symmetrical, whereas the Shimano visibly isn't.

kart17

by kart17

MisterMuncher wrote:
kart17 wrote:

I haven't any four bolt Shimano rings to hand to check, but intially I'd say probably not. The FSA design is symmetrical, whereas the Shimano visibly isn't.

That's what it looked like based off just viewing the photographs, but I just wanted to make sure from someone who actually owns one. Thank you.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Coming soon and looking sharp I must say ...

Just ride ..

jeffy

by jeffy

might be wrong- but just based of a hunch, i am nervous about the P2M NG usb door.
The Team Zwatt Zimonox magnetic charging (new shimano does the same) is much better solution.

reknop

by reknop

itsacarr wrote:Coming soon and looking sharp I must say ...

Well the modular design is the best part. 170, 172,5 and 175 mm in one crankset, plus the axle can be exchanged (if you would switch from a 24 mm to a 30 mm one).
That basically makes it one standardized platform ... curious how SRM will move forward. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

maquisard

by maquisard

Most of the innovation is copied/licensed from LOOK amongst others. SRM have done nothing new or innovative in a decade.

jeffy

by jeffy

All standards on Shimano rings. Just as Shimano introduce new chain line rings that are not backwards compatible
Last edited by jeffy on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com