New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

AndreLM wrote:
mag wrote:By the way what would be the most WW PM solution giving total power data (not just doubled single-leg data)? My guess is THM Clavicula SE with Favero Assioma pedals...
And what would be a decent alternative for crank based PM (excluding the ridiculously expensive SRM+Clavicula M3 option)?

Probably (the still not available) Specialized Power Cranks (AFAIK co-developed with 4iiii)
or
Cannondale SiSL2 with spiderings and Watteam Powerbeat sensors

and your choice of WW pedals

Both would only fit BB30/PF30/OSBB/T47 frames though

Pioneer adds about 60g to the crankset, and with FC-R9100 that would be around 670g-680g for the compact. And 690-700g for the standard. Shimano's own PM will be in this range too.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Last edited by mpulsiv on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

mpulsiv wrote:Watteam is down to $259? https://shop.watteam.com/powerbeat-single

That looks like it'd be very fragile, I'd be worried I'd rip that wire out or damage the unit.

mag

by mag

That Specialized S-Works Power Crank looks interesting, but it's really a "virtual" product as of now - no mention of availability anywhere, it even disappeared from the specialized.com website (where it had its own product page previously). Seems to be similar story as with the Shimano power crank which was also announced like ages ago and yet it started to be available only a while ago and only in selected countries (mostly Japan it seems).

It's a shame that Pioneer isn't available in EU much (only limited availability of some single leg models) and they make it only for the Potenza crank in the case of Campagnolo. It would be a nice option otherwise.

By the way the P2M NGeco is available for purchase since yesterday.

moyboy

by moyboy

Yes very fragile especially for the cx crowd!

AZR3 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:Watteam is down to $259? https://shop.watteam.com/powerbeat-single

That looks like it'd be very fragile, I'd be worried I'd rip that wire out or damage the unit.

moyboy

by moyboy

Are the pioneers still only Ant+ and not Bluetooth?

nemeseri wrote:
AndreLM wrote:
mag wrote:By the way what would be the most WW PM solution giving total power data (not just doubled single-leg data)? My guess is THM Clavicula SE with Favero Assioma pedals...
And what would be a decent alternative for crank based PM (excluding the ridiculously expensive SRM+Clavicula M3 option)?

Probably (the still not available) Specialized Power Cranks (AFAIK co-developed with 4iiii)
or
Cannondale SiSL2 with spiderings and Watteam Powerbeat sensors

and your choice of WW pedals

Both would only fit BB30/PF30/OSBB/T47 frames though

Pioneer adds about 60g to the crankset, and with FC-R9100 that would be around 670g-680g for the compact. And 690-700g for the standard. Shimano's own PM will be in this range too.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

moyboy wrote:Are the pioneers still only Ant+ and not Bluetooth?

Yes.

mentok

by mentok

So is the watteam the cheapest way to get power onto a bike at this point? Assuming it actually ships, and aside from second hand, obviously.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Maybe.

Of course, if it turns out to not work and you have to sell it at a loss and then buy something better it will ultimately cost a lot more.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you’re serious enough to train with power, then you should probably at least go with one of the more established left-only options. Vector 3S or Assioma Uno would be my two choices, but I’m already a KeO compatible cleat user.

mentok

by mentok

It's for my wife's bike so she can ride zwift with some semblance of accuracy. She's not particularly serious but having something realistic for her would increase her enjoyment and get her on the trainer more often.

We have a smart trainer we share which spits out garbage power numbers so when she uses it either she's a flyer or she's hardly moving. It's a toss up between upgrading the trainer or putting a cheap powermeter on her bike. I don't want to shell out 1k to upgrade smart trainers because the one we have works fine for my purposes and she doesn't use it that often right now, plus if I'm going to spend the money I'd want direct drive which means we have to get our drivetrains compatible (she's 10sp, i'm 11sp). All a big PITA, so a dirt cheap powermeter seems to make more sense.

Anyway, this isn't the "which powermeter should I buy" thread so I'll take my hat in my hand and keep thinking...

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Someone should make a list of all the powermeter rumours on this thread which did not pan out. I believe there are many.

I'll start off with an easy, high profile one: Brim Brothers. Zone anyone?

glepore

by glepore

The problem with watteam is the subscription. I like to own my stuff, not be on a monthly plan...

If you want a really cheap perfectly working computrainer pro and you're in the US, pm me. Its surplus here.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

glepore wrote:The problem with watteam is the subscription. I like to own my stuff, not be on a monthly plan...

If you want a really cheap perfectly working computrainer pro and you're in the US, pm me. Its surplus here.

Watteam is the janky looking self-install PM with the miniplug charging interface.

ZWatt is the PM with the subscription plan.

jever98

by jever98

@mentok: how about an old pt hub wheel, if she only plans to use it on the trainer?
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com