New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coneill0422

by coneill0422

I thought it was

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

How do you plan to read your PM data if not for head units? The PC8 is one of the biggest PM-related product updates in years...
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

maquisard

by maquisard

Just a shame for SRM that the PC8 update is them finally adding the features to their head unit that you've been able to get in others for years!

KWalker

by KWalker

I agree to an extent, but not everyone wants all the feature bloat and shitty firmware that Garmin has to offer. I tried a Powertap Joule GPS and didn't like the menus or interface. The PC7 is a great, basic computer with excellent screen readability and just the metrics you actually need to see during rides. Nothing more, nothing less so I appreciate that about it. I also never use any of the courses or mapping features on my Garmin since I own a smartphone plus I've had a slew of hardware and software related Garmin issues.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

maquisard

by maquisard

Look will love that! A group test would be more useful though

djconnel

by djconnel

mentok wrote:it may be ok if you only use stages powermeters on all your different bikes. This still assumes that your leg discrepancies are constant and invariable, ie unaffected by factors such as fatigue, cadence, actual wattage, etc, which i would find difficult to believe and have seen in n=1 experimentation to demonstrate.

it isn't ok if you're using different powermeters from different manufacturers - consistency doesn't help much when what you really need is accuracy.

My balance consistent measures with Vector to be right dominant at lower powers and even at higher powers so I'd need to interpret Stages data in that context. And I agree that marching Powertap is not a success, although drivetrain losses are hard to pick up given the powertap is itself only good to 2%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

What are the current Powermeter rumours for 2015?

Any update on SRM Campagnolo anticipated, either to match battery life of Shimano (3000 v 1900), move to rechargeable, or to adapt to the 4-arm design?

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

From talking to the folks at Power2Max, there should be an update to the 4-arm Campagnolo crankset from them. How fast that will hit the market though is sort of dependent upon how quickly the Movistar team wants them. "Pressure" from Movistar is what moved Campagnolo to provide the materials for the current Campagnolo P2M device. So the same thing will probably hold true for the current 4-arm model.

In the "I'll believe it when I see it" category, there was a reference in the latest Ciamillo bitchfest to there being a powermeter based around the Ciamillo Gravitas crankset. That is supposed to be a P2M device as well. That is, of course, dependent upon Ciamillo getting the latest revision of the crankset out and into the hands of the P2M folks for validation, etc. Lovely crankset... if we ever see it.

I know those aren't SRM rumours, but they are rumours. I'm sure SRM will have a 4-arm crankset soon for which they'll charge even more money than the current model. Who knows when they'll finally certify and sell their rechargeable model. Probably when they bring out a Power Control 9 computer. :)

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Thanks Evil

The barrier to Campag SRM was always, in my understanding, the availability of the Campag crank chassis. I would imagine that if Campag provide a 4 bolt version for power meters then it would be open to both SRM and P2M.

On a separate question, do the powermeters with the two BCDs for inner and outer ring have a duplicate set of strain gauges, or are they joined in a common power transfer mechanism?

I know that Uli hinted that the world would look very different this year for power meters. I am not seeing anything too revolutionary, and no disruptive approach which would make one think twice about buying now rather than waiting?

Marin

by Marin

Any 4iii news? Are they actually shipping?

Raineman

by Raineman

ghisallo2003 wrote:On a separate question, do the powermeters with the two BCDs for inner and outer ring have a duplicate set of strain gauges, or are they joined in a common power transfer mechanism?

Probably the same spider as the other models with different drilling for the new BCDs, different attatchment for the new crank arms (or just use the previous arms but that will depend on campy) and some extra material for the correct spacing. No need to spend extra money in designing a new product :lol:

russianbear

by russianbear

My Garmin Vector S should be here friday. Looking forward to having power again.

gus300

by gus300

can anyone tell me any feeds on the Quarq Elsa RS or if anyone in the forum has it, post some pics.

thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Just got mine, been waiting for dura ace 52/36 rings to come in. Will post pics once all together. Note that the shimano chainring bolts for these are in short supply.