New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

SRM continues to be the company that "innovates" at a glacial pace. Hoping for that rechargeable battery sometime soon? Don't bother. From DC Rainmaker's Eurobike update:

"As for their long talked about re-chargeable SRM power meter, that’s been pushed out quite a bit. Definitely not this year, and the folks in the booth said it sounds like it’s unlikely to see the light of day next year either."

So that's no user replaceable or rechargeable battery, close to a 100% price premium or greater for comparable cranksets, and no noted reliability improvement over comparable units from Power2Max or Pioneer. It seems SRM is trying their best to be a vanity purchase only because its getting killed in the price sweepstakes.

53x12

by 53x12

Innovate or die. Seems SRM is leaning towards the latter.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

It is the classic symptom of a company with loss of revenue. Need to cut operating cost, first thing to go will be R&D spend with an attempt to leverage existing products and inventory. I also have no doubt that staff have left, perhaps going to Power2Max.

I thought Powertap was going the way of SRM as well but they clearly brought on someone new to drive and develop the brand in the last 2-3 years. Just look at the shift from branding as CycleOps Powertap to a real focus on the Powertap brand with a new web presence and way of evangelising the product. Best of all they have brought out new products that, based on the DCR review, are market leading and most importantly, both precise and accurate.

SRM need to do the same or they will be gone.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I think Powertap needed to be a separate vehicle from Cycleops because there was an enormous liability hangover in the number of pre-G3 units in the market requiring warranty replacement.

I would agree that G3 is better and that the pedals look good, though the chainring is hideous.

Given the choice however, I place a premium on aesthetics and data quality and thus happily turn to my SRM.

53x12

by 53x12

"I place a premium on aesthetics and data quality and thus happily turn to my SRM."

SRM is no more accurate than other top of the line PM's currently being offered for a fraction of the cost. Plus you forgot user friendliness and fixability. SRM loses on this account.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Aesthetically I rate Stages above all, but the data is not there, particularly one-sided data.

I would agree that in particular, in the case of P2M the ease of use must be balanced against the marginally cleaner aesthetics of SRM. I agree fully though - it is very marginal indeed. The P2M S is an improvement but you have to agree that it does not yet match against the look of SRM - the difference is the user changeable battery compartment.

uraqt

by uraqt

SRM, might be happy with their market share, it might be the same as it's always been....and they might have limited staff..... that said they are missing the boat, in the past the guy who started the company said there was no need for right and left power ... and their lack of rechargeable or replacement batteries is a clear sign they don't care about the market.

P2M or Quarq are growing share, and will not doubt over time will have have the best crank based powermeter, the issue is that is the pedal/cleat market going to look like.. right now not so hot, but I would think over time they have the best location to get the most/best data....

In X years pedal based powermeters are going to teach you how to pedal....

Right now there are issues sure and there are a lot of players, but Garmin has to bet the company on vector and those guys are really really smart...not say they are going to win, because if I was Shimano I would be pissed that I didn't buy them and would have started working on my own version ASAP.

I bet in 3 to 4 years power meters are going to standard in goupsets and Campy is going to left out to dry....( again) : ( ( says the campy guy)

C

trex021

by trex021

ghisallo2003 wrote:Given the choice however, I place a premium on aesthetics and data quality and thus happily turn to my SRM.

The battery compartment bubble on the P2M is more than worth not having to send it away every time the battery dies.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I think this is a good example of people's differing priorities and values and the market serving different people.

I had that exact decision to make and the bubble was enough to put me off. My preference curve is different to yours.

Long may we all have a wide range of choices to make !

maquisard

by maquisard

Also worth pointing out that the temperature compensation is far inferior and simplistic on SRM power meters compared to the latest iterations of the Quarq and Power2Max powermeters which use multi-point compensation. To hold up SRM as some sort of gold standard simply isn't true anymore. Yes they held the powermeter high ground for many years but they have been usurped in that position. Their technology has stood still while other competing companies have made use of MEMS accelerometer technology and low cost high performance embedded micro controllers with both BLE and ANT+

erty65

by erty65

53x12 wrote:"I place a premium on aesthetics and data quality and thus happily turn to my SRM."

SRM is no more accurate than other top of the line PM's currently being offered for a fraction of the cost. Plus you forgot user friendliness and fixability. SRM loses on this account.
...and Dura-Ace(accuracy vs Stages)

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Hard to bet P2Max right now with their price drop.

pitbull

by pitbull

wheelzqc wrote:Hard to bet P2Max right now with their price drop.

Rotor inpower is close.

uraqt

by uraqt

in power is left side only, according to website...

C

jeffy

by jeffy

it would seem that Pioneer have dropped Euro prices.

Upgrade kit for 6800 €799
https://www.powermeter24.com/en/detail/ ... rticle/872

€899 for Dura Ace
https://www.powermeter24.com/en/detail/ ... rticle/870

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com