New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

For those interested in the 4iiii meter, Keith, the guy behind it, has a blog on which he discusses some of the issues alluded to here. Well worth a read.

http://keithhack.blogspot.sg/

I quite like the sound of this product, and at this price point it would be possible to run it alongside another powermeter for evaluation purposes without breaking the bank. Again as others have said, my only concern is that of longevity of the bond between crank arm and strain gauge. I think it also goes without saying that such a user mounted system would always bond strongest to a brand new unused crank arm rather than one that has been subject to contaminants through use out on the road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

Anybody heard any new information related to the Brim Brothers Zone delivery? I was just wondering if they are going to deliver the product as-is or are they going to take some time to fix the issues DC Rainmaker highlighted in his review.

djconnel

by djconnel

I did a plot for him using some of his data. There were 4 meters: Quarq, Powertap, Stages, and PowerBeat. Here was my original plot:

Quarq data were corrupted by a large number of zero power points. It may have had to do with losing cadence data. Rather than get into why Quarq was introducing zeros, he had me just remove the Quarq curve. That makes sense: focus here was on reviewing PowerBeat. But Quarq, Powertap, and Stages are all rather close (of course Stages is measuring just left foot). PowerBeat is clearly an anomaly.

They're sort of taking Stages one step further: not only attaching it to crank arm, but letting user install it. That seems questionable. But then I was surprised at how well Stages does, as well.

maquisard

by maquisard

djconnel wrote:They're sort of taking Stages one step further: not only attaching it to crank arm, but letting user install it.

I agree but more so in the attachment and bonding method described in DCR's article. The adhesive described seems an extremely poor choice and very little thought or effort seems to be placed on accurate positioning and alignment. Contrast to the small alignment kit shipped with the beta release of the 4iiii powermeter which is also user bonded.

At present the Powerbeat seems amateurish.
Last edited by maquisard on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djconnel

by djconnel

I made a simple fix to my power extraction script to discard zero power points (this generally wouldn't work, but worked here only because ride was on trainer, and there were no natural zeroes). But it does show Quarq generally agrees with the other two. You'd expect in theory Quarq to be slightly higher than powertap (3-5%, perhaps) due to drivetrain losses.

JamieL

by JamieL

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/power ... with-luck/

Really nice idea, just got to get it to work i guess...

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

that looks like an expensive option for sure

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

... if the shoe fits, as they say.
Seems it would be fraught with issues to overcome. I don't think investors will be lining up for this one, so I hope they have deep pockets.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

addictR1

by addictR1

@maquisard: i emailed 4iiii cuz i wanted to order one. but i only see it's available for RED22 and mine is RED 10 speed. not sure if it will still work or not. so far, no email back from them at all.. kinda feeling no love.......... :(

if anyone have a coupon code for 4iiii Precision.. please let me know.. would love to get one for my xmas present for myself. :)

coppercook62

by coppercook62

I would like some feedback on the 4iiii when someone gets them

addictR1

by addictR1

I definitely will give some feedbacks... if they ever reply back to me.. haha

ITTY

by ITTY

Addict, I'm sure they are very busy right now trying to fulfill orders and answer thousands of questions from people like you. However, seeing that the cranks are very similar, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. As long as the inside surface of the crankarm is smooth, you can mount it.

I also ordered a "Precision" for my Hollowgram SISL. I will be reporting back with my experiences, although I don't exactly have anything to compare it to, this being my first power meter.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Epic-o

by Epic-o

djconnel wrote:I did a plot for him using some of his data. There were 4 meters: Quarq, Powertap, Stages, and PowerBeat. Here was my original plot:

Quarq data were corrupted by a large number of zero power points. It may have had to do with losing cadence data. Rather than get into why Quarq was introducing zeros, he had me just remove the Quarq curve. That makes sense: focus here was on reviewing PowerBeat. But Quarq, Powertap, and Stages are all rather close (of course Stages is measuring just left foot). PowerBeat is clearly an anomaly.

They're sort of taking Stages one step further: not only attaching it to crank arm, but letting user install it. That seems questionable. But then I was surprised at how well Stages does, as well.

Not being able to discern the 3-5 percent drivetrain losses compared to the Powertap does not seem a good result for the Stages to me.

russianbear

by russianbear

It's as consistent as the powertap according to the chart, so who cares?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skinnyrider

by skinnyrider

Only consistency if you're good leg balance! So one testers consistency is not anthers.