New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I'm happy that SRM lowered its prices just as I started riding again. (stopped 2 years ago due to health reasons) My SRM DA 7900+PC6 have been very reliable for over 5 years and they look just great on my bike. I'll be ready for a new SRM when my body is ready for a new bike later this year.

Somehow I never like Garmin units as they are ugly and bulky. The only other powermeter I like is P2M but again I don't want a Garmin unit on my handlebar.

I think the argument of SRM vs others is like iPhone vs Android phones. And I'm an iPhone user.

glepore

by glepore

I think they'll always be a niche for SRM. They survived for a long time when powermeters were a rare item. Now they're mainstream, and others are filling the demand for consumer devices. Among the crowd that wants the creme de la creme SRM will likely have a niche. They're just not going to benefit from the sales explosion.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Carrots

by Carrots

glepore wrote:I think they'll always be a niche for SRM. They survived for a long time when powermeters were a rare item. Now they're mainstream, and others are filling the demand for consumer devices. Among the crowd that wants the creme de la creme SRM will likely have a niche. They're just not going to benefit from the sales explosion.

Very well said!

uraqt

by uraqt

The price isn't the real issue, but that does effect most buyers... It's their lack of adding new features and how long it takes them to make changes. The owner public said that right and left leg power wasn't needed, the non changeable battery, and other features that will be coming by the other brands. And the PC8 if it had made t's shipping date would have been better than any garmin, but they were way late and garmin has leap-frog them.

There is a very good chance that they may be the last company making "plain" power meters, when everyone else is selling something that includes power meter but that is just one of many features... and if Shimano does enter the market watch out.. the few versions will suck but v4 and after will be good enough and Shimano will be the main cause for the price war.

C

ergott

by ergott

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the Power2Max crank doesn't even need a cadence magnet (probably old news for many of you).

With features like that, temperature compensation built in, and lower price I'm very happy with my choice. I can put the crank on any of my 3 bikes in minutes until I get at least one other crank so I'm not swapping every day.

Finn

by Finn

Shimano PM spotted by Cyclingweekly??? Shimano has been really tight lipped with this and it hasn't really been seen in the wild. Anyone with more information on this one ? I've heard rumours that I'll be released this spring...
Attachments
da-pm2.jpg

53x12

by 53x12

Zone DPMX goes on sale this Thursday (11th). List prices will be €880 (about $990) for the Zone DPMX Dual, and €440 (about $495) for the Zone DPMX Single, but there will be special prices available for the first block of purchasers. Delivery for May.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

Laser and other optical devices rear wheel power meter.

http://www.laser-spoke.com
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Interesting.

Installed on the hub of the rear wheel, Laser Spoke detects how much the hub twists relative to the rim while under load. Simply put, Laser Spoke uses the wheel, installed on your bike, as a torsional spring to measure torque and power output. This measuring performed with accurate laser system.

Not having a go, just genuinely curious, would the stiffness of the hub have an effect on the power reading that you receive? Just thinking in the case of switching between bikes or wheels.

maquisard

by maquisard

From the Wattage Google groups, the company CEO responds to a similar question...

Dynamic calibration is the most important feature of our laser-based system. Modal analysis incorporated in our firmware, so the wheel stiffness (torsional only) can be detected on the go and in seconds. This mode can also be used to monitor overall wheel performance, ageing, fatigue etc. We are currently testing this algorithm and will present it to the cycling community soon.

We are also like to create an extended data base of wheels from different manufactures. This may include dynamic properties - stiffness and compliance as well as rates of fatigue development and ageing.

Gennady

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

And when you ride in rain / crud and dirty the sensor. Wayyyy to manny variables.
Using Tapatalk

maquisard

by maquisard

But... it would probably be a great solution for the track.

Like you say, lots of issues I can foresee outdoors in bad weather.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

maquisard wrote:From the Wattage Google groups, the company CEO responds to a similar question...

Dynamic calibration is the most important feature of our laser-based system. Modal analysis incorporated in our firmware, so the wheel stiffness (torsional only) can be detected on the go and in seconds. This mode can also be used to monitor overall wheel performance, ageing, fatigue etc. We are currently testing this algorithm and will present it to the cycling community soon.

We are also like to create an extended data base of wheels from different manufactures. This may include dynamic properties - stiffness and compliance as well as rates of fatigue development and ageing.

Gennady

Very interesting. Will be cool to see how this turns out. Very ambitious plan building a database like that.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

maquisard wrote:Chances of SRM still being in existence in 2-3 years... extremely low

Given their PC8 isn't even waterproof...it should be somewhat of a concern for them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NJBiker72

by NJBiker72

maquisard wrote:From the Wattage Google groups, the company CEO responds to a similar question...

Gennady

Interesting but not a lot of updates in the last few years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk