New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

I have been using my 'classic' P2M w/ Rotor 3D+ (the Praxis works rings for $99 extra was also a steal), and I have been extremely happy. Although I would prefer the cleaner appearance of the Type-S, it wasn't available at the time. The best part of the p2m, as eluded to in reviews, is that it just works. It was a breeze to pair with my garmin, install, and it has always read consistently. I've had one battery change so far that took less that 90 seconds to complete. Nicholas is extremely responsive and helpful, some of the best customer service you could ask for, and no shipping and tax!

TimW

by TimW

Classic P2M user here too. Used it for about 18 months, including through the UK Winter - absolutely perfect, not a single blip. I love it. Using Rotor 3D+ and rotor round rings. AndreLM did a great summary above.

I've used Powertaps and iBike in the past, but the P2M is just no fuss in comparison.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyppen

by Cyppen

Has anyone any news en the new SRM PC8?

I can only find a twitter message from SRM saying release date 15. August in North America.
But nothing in the past months

If the new SRM PC8 coming in next month we should see some in the TdF. But all riders use PC7.

Any info?

Anders3404

by Anders3404

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/07/roto ... power.html

Seems to answer some of the speculations in previous posts

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

Cyppen wrote:Has anyone any news en the new SRM PC8?

I can only find a twitter message from SRM saying release date 15. August in North America.
But nothing in the past months

If the new SRM PC8 coming in next month we should see some in the TdF. But all riders use PC7.

Any info?

Andre from lotto Belisol had it for todays stage. Looks cool. But I don't think that day in August it will be ready in time.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

zakeen, long time no see on this board. Good to see you back, I guess you don't have much going on these few weeks, ha ha. :beerchug:

djconnel

by djconnel

ghisallo2003 wrote:Current use of Vectors at TdF is hardly an endorsement of your team sponsor. Yes, I know they are leaving as title sponsor, but still...

My guess is a move back to SRM is more an issue of maintenance than anything else. Vector takes a few rides to settle out and it requires back-pedaling at the start of every ride to zero-out torque. If you're in a pro environment and mechanics need to deal with 2+ bikes per rider on a daily basis, easier to just have SRM. For you and me this is less relevant.

KWalker

by KWalker

P2M just dropped their prices on the classic- $729 for spider and $749 with cranks according to their newsletter. Going all Type-S. A steal for that PM
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

danielbahia

by danielbahia

PC8 to be launch in end of this August during a Internal event for SRM North-Center-South America dealers... Pre sales are available in few days, I think.

efeballi

by efeballi

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/08/07/new ... more-83549

48.4 g, works with any crank(and maybe any pedal), separate L/R measuring, has ANT+ and Bluetooth LE, and most importantly $500.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: euan beat me to it.
Last edited by efeballi on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Just read about the Watteam Power Meter. looks promising. It seems to be everything the Garmin vector was supposed to be, but less expensive and actually flexible enough to use with thee pedals and cranks we already have.

maquisard

by maquisard

DC Rainmaker has an interview with the CEO here along with more information.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/watt ... rbeat.html

What makes me slightly dubious about this solution is that the user has to bond the sensor to the crank themselves with glue. That seems prone to error and on a crank arm that is anything less that absolutely brand new, there will be contamination on the crank arm that will interfere with the bond. Stages does not allow users to apply the sensor to the crank arm by themselves for this very reason.

mentok

by mentok

just off the top of my head, i think so long as 1) the bond is good and 2) the bond is consistent over time then it will be ok. the meter is only interested in measuring deflection and if that deflection can be measured consistently and calibrated appropriately then i don't see why it couldn't be made to work. i wonder what they did to get around the stages problem that carbon arms do wacky things?

the pods look a bit clunky and vulnerable for mtb applications but appear no worse than the vector tabs. i'd be keen to replace my wired srm on my ss with one of these at USD500...

are brim brothers still a thing? i got their email a few weeks ago looking for public trialists - any feedback from that?

maquisard

by maquisard

The strain gauge is only interested in measuring deflection yes, but to use that deflection in order to calculate applied torque the strain gauge needs to be carefully aligned to measure the correct applied force and also needs to operate in a linaer fashion in relation to the known stress/strain behaviour of the crank material. If the strain gauges are not carefully bonded to the crank arm then the strain gauge will return unreliable data, for example, small voids, air bubbles in the adhesive will cause issues. This sounds trivial but having done it on an aircraft wing I can assure it requires skill and care.

It will also be interesting to see how the calibration is done, because if the user applies the sensor themselves then the calibration process will need to be quite comprehensive.

I also wonder how they are getting this to work with carbon cranks as the stress / strain curve of the crank is manufacturing and layup dependent and that can vary, even amongst the same brand of crank.
Last edited by maquisard on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com