New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kkibbler

by kkibbler

My bad. I meant inseparable as in it seems you have to use Powertap's chainrings with the C1 spider. If you could use any old 5-hole SRAM/Praxis/FSA/etc. rings, I'm sure they would be advertising that.

jlaitinen

by jlaitinen

Pretty nice price on the C1. Waiting for dcrainmaker to get his hands on both products to see how accurate they are.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

The first blog post states the accuracy only for the pedals, but I would assume the chainrings to be as accurate.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/03/powe ... nring.html

LionelB

by LionelB

I sort of like the pedals. Having no pods like in the garmin is better. I wonder if the weight quoted includes the batteries....

Raineman

by Raineman

You can see the hex shape inside the chainring bolts, I would be very surprised if you can't swap the chainrings over.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

From Bikeradar:

Available in late June, the PowerTap C1 spider power meter will bolt onto virtually any compact crank will a 110 BCD. (It won't work on Cannondale Hollowgram.) You cannot use your own chainrings, but must use the set FSA has made for PowerTap. There are three available chainring options: 50/36, 52/36 and 53/39. Because of the nature of the C1 spider, you cannot use a ring smaller than a 36.

v0coder

by v0coder

You’ll notice that there’s a small battery compartment. PowerTap selected to go with a standard AAA battery. This battery will give the unit about 60hrs of battery life before replacement, which they note for the average rider is about 2 months. In balancing battery life demands and selecting a battery type – they noted that while they could have probably gotten more battery life out of some coin cell batteries, those would have been tougher to find globally.

So there are parts of the world where people are buying power meters for their bicycles but where CR2032 batteries are not readily available?

maquisard

by maquisard

My thoughts exactly, the CR2032 is just as ubiquitous as the AAA

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I like the fact that the pedals don't have those pods hanging off of them like the Garmin Vectors. Don't like the 60 hour battery life. You'll be replacing the batteries every other week during the summer months, assuming you're out everyday riding.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I wonder how the shifting quality will be. Not exactly the most "ramped and pinned" set of rings I've seen. Compared the the back of the Praxis rings, these look downright simple!

Tom-s

by Tom-s

Anybody got pictures of the coming Ax Lightness Pelton compatible powermeter?
Is it going to be an SRM or one made by Ax?

KWalker

by KWalker

Those pedals look to have awful cornering clearance, much bulkier than the Garmins, which are definitely way thicker than a normal Look or Shimano setup.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

maquisard wrote:It's a very odd decision for a company to launch two, essentially competing, products at the same time. Although it offers the customer several options, it also confuses them about what to buy.

i had this exact question burning because is there any other company in the PM business who i offering two types at the moment?

i mean price wise one would buy near 2 spider PMs for the price of their pedal setup as they make you buy the pair..... strange to me still.

njosey17 wrote:I agree with Brandon - I don't really understand their angle. PT hubs still widely used, why risk all the goodwill built up if these aren't perfect?

i mean they are used, but in reality they are inconvenient as most of us want to use our choice of wheels.

dcrainmaker wrote:This battery will give the unit about 60hrs of battery life before replacement, which they note for the average rider is about 2 months.

not into this idea.
Last edited by nathanong87 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ave

by ave

Yes, AAA is much more widely available. While the p2m uses a less popular 2450, but it was a pain in the ass to source one during my vacation last summer.
Also, I'm sure they considered the form factor.

They sure have less cornering clearance, than a normal pedal, but there're many people who never go close to hit the pavement. It's not for top criterium riders, that's for sure. :)

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I bet that Powertap is simply partnering with other manufacturers to leverage their brand (and possibly expertise) on the PM market.

The pedals look similar in concept to Xpedo Thrust E, which I never saw materialize.

The rings could possibly be something originally developed by FSA... it seems everyone is now using Praxis as the main choice for aftermarket rings... I can't see a reason for Powertap not using them as well (apart from Praxis not wanting to develop specific rings for Powertap).

Remark: this is just a guess... no inside information to back it up

edit: Well, just saw a comment from Ray that pedals are not Xpedos... so my theory is flawed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com