New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mentok

by mentok

@jever: Yep, closely watching ebay for something like that to pop up, thanks. To complicate things, I have a PT G3 on my commuter which I could move over to her bike if I wanted to upgrade my commuter's powermeter. Problem being that I do need to lock that thing unattended on very, very rare occasions so having the PT pitlocked and u-locked in place, as well as being very inconspicuous makes me think I should just leave it be.

jever98

by jever98

@mentok: for yourself you can always get a power2max - very cheap nowadays, very reliable
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

TobinHatesYou wrote:If you’re serious enough to train with power, then you should probably at least go with one of the more established left-only options. Vector 3S or Assioma Uno would be my two choices, but I’m already a KeO compatible cleat user.

When did Vector or Assioma become established options?

I think the only thing established about Vector is it's not a great PM. The Vector 3 is supposed to be better, but that isn't saying much.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

topflightpro wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:If you’re serious enough to train with power, then you should probably at least go with one of the more established left-only options. Vector 3S or Assioma Uno would be my two choices, but I’m already a KeO compatible cleat user.

I think the only thing established about Vector is it's not a great PM. The Vector 3 is supposed to be better, but that isn't saying much.

Other than a tiny bit of play in my right pedal body, my Vector 2s have been solid and have never missed a beat. Both the Vectors and Assiomas have been established as fine, accurate options by independent reviewers.

53x12

by 53x12

topflightpro wrote:

Have been on Vectors for 4 years now. Great power meter and it hasn't failed me. I have thousands of miles on them with no issue. Came from a wired SRM before them. Great power meter.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Rubik

by Rubik

TobinHatesYou wrote:If you’re serious enough to train with power, then you should probably at least go with one of the more established left-only options.

If you're serious enough to train with power, you should probably go with a powermeter that actually measures the power that both legs are producing.

gilles75

by gilles75

Rubik wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:If you’re serious enough to train with power, then you should probably at least go with one of the more established left-only options.

If you're serious enough to train with power, you should probably go with a powermeter that actually measures the power that both legs are producing.

I don't take life that seriously[emoji6]. I have a crank based power meter on two bikes. I have enough miles and experience after a few years now to know how stable and symmetrical is my left/right balance. My lightest bike and my fastest bike now equipped with left only power meter. I want to know how the relationship between my wattage and percieved exertion varies from day to day, how to adapt my training and periodization. I get to know this information accurately with left only powermeter. You have to understand what you need to know about your training. Know yourself. Know what the numbers your are getting means in your quest for power, or speed, or whatever... And you can save quite a few grams!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Anyway I don’t like the Watteam design especially for the Zwift usage case mentioned... Even with fans blowing, sweat/salt drips straight down onto the BB/cranks and those miniplugs might corrode.

Rubik

by Rubik

gilles75 wrote:I don't take life that seriously[emoji6]. I have a crank based power meter on two bikes. I have enough miles and experience after a few years now to know how stable and symmetrical is my left/right balance. My lightest bike and my fastest bike now equipped with left only power meter. I want to know how the relationship between my wattage and percieved exertion varies from day to day, how to adapt my training and periodization. I get to know this information accurately with left only powermeter. You have to understand what you need to know about your training. Know yourself. Know what the numbers your are getting means in your quest for power, or speed, or whatever... And you can save quite a few grams!

I completely disagree, but I take my training pretty seriously.

And no one knows their left/right balance for all conditions. Mine (as does most everyone's) changes constantly depending on how hard I'm going and how fatigued I am.

I definitely would never recommend someone getting in to power to limit themselves straight off the bat. It's an investment to begin with and one where that additional value can be quite important (if that's something you find important).

jever98

by jever98

Rubik wrote:
I completely disagree, but I take my training pretty seriously.

And no one knows their left/right balance for all conditions. Mine (as does most everyone's) changes constantly depending on how hard I'm going and how fatigued I am.

I definitely would never recommend someone getting in to power to limit themselves straight off the bat. It's an investment to begin with and one where that additional value can be quite important (if that's something you find important).

Amen to that. If you've been riding a good while repeatable, consistent numbers are key. For example, I have done the same ride 3 years in a row, a 4h-ish all out "race" with friends. Best power vs worst power (NP) varied by 3.5% between the rides. On a one-sided PM it takes a 2% change in balance and the difference is gone (as one-sided power numbers are multiplied by 2).
----
No longer in the industry

Conza

by Conza

Question regarding power metre pedals — I'm prone to crashing; how much of a battering can they take? I imagine I'd be better of getting a crank PM?
It's all about the adventure :o .

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Conza wrote:Question regarding power metre pedals — I'm prone to crashing; how much of a battering can they take? I imagine I'd be better of getting a crank PM?

I’ve crashed hard 3x on my Vector 2s and they’re still going. Last crash shattered my scapula, if that gives you any idea just how hard.

On another note, who else thinks Wahoo will introduce their own power meter (likely pedals) in the next year? They already provide the bike computer and all the other sensors. They already know how to build a power meter (smart trainers.) I figure it’s not just inevitable, but something that will happen soon...maybe even as the next road racing season starts.

The obvious clever name would be the PEDLR.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I did hear a rumour that they had 3 new bits of hardware coming. The first was the Climb, no idea what the other 2 will be. PM does make sense as you pointed out already having the knowhow. Pedal does make sense based off their pretty versatile range, most of it works with anything else. Every bike has pedal threads.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

glam2deaf wrote:I did hear a rumour that they had 3 new bits of hardware coming. The first was the Climb, no idea what the other 2 will be. PM does make sense as you pointed out already having the knowhow. Pedal does make sense based off their pretty versatile range, most of it works with anything else. Every bike has pedal threads.

The ELEMNT is due for a replacement next year, so that’s one. Power meter must be the other. The only other possibility I could think of is a smart stationary bike a la the new Wattbike Atom or Tacx concept, but I doubt it.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Stationary bike could be possible, maybe rollers, or something like the Tax magnum. A Wahoo pwoermeter would be really interesting, I've enjoyed every product of theirs I've used. It would be cool if they could come up with an option that didn't require proprietary cleats and could be used w/ any pedal style (time, speedplay) but now I'm just being really hopeful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com