New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Carrots

by Carrots

Tillquist wrote:http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/quarq-launches-new-elsa-rs-shimano-compatible-power-meter-42216/

Awesome. Now hopefully P2M pull their finger out and get cracking on manufacturing some of their 4 Bolt model.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

xplaza

by xplaza

xplaza

by xplaza

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Also from DC Rainmaker:

Polar announces new Keo Power systems, and V800/V650 power meter update plans, and more!

It looks like Polar is doing what Garmin is with the Vector-S.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Anything on Brim brothers at Eurobike?

jspaceman

by jspaceman

From DC Rainmaker's site, an interesting bit about the new full Polar system:

Specifically, they’ll be allowing someone to purchase the full Keo Power system (two pedals), and then split up the pedals and use it as either left-only or right-only (or together). While from a cost perspective this isn’t really any savings, what it does do is allow someone to potentially use/install the unit on two different bikes they own. Of course, since you’re measuring different output points (left versus right), you’re likely to get different results. Or, you can split with a friend. Whatever the case is, the key is it’s your choice. Whereas in Vector-S, that’s not an option.

v0coder

by v0coder

The quarq is pretty sexy. The xpedo, not so much.

uraqt

by uraqt

Inside the Cassette is a sweet idea, pain to charge, but you could fit a usb port there someplace : ) I would guess that it kills the ANT+

C

davidalone

by davidalone

A Cheap, DIY stages copy that is availabel at half the price. by 4iii power. shipping Q4 2014. you can slo install it on both sides for the price of one stages Looks like the price pressure will be a game changer, pushing prices downward.

DC rainmaker's first ride review:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/4iii ... ision.html

Also, Brim Brothers has finally launched with a usable product: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/brot ... ction.html

hooray for open market!

maquisard

by maquisard

I hardly think it is fair to call the 4iiii a Stages copy, it looks superior to me.

One thing I am still dubious of however is allowing the user to cement the strain gauges to the crank arm themselves. Although DC Rainmaker gives an interesting overview of the mounting process for the 4iiii here ( http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/4iii ... ision.html ) I still have major concerns that many people will make a poor job of this and come away with a powermeter than is neither accurate or precise. As noted before Pioneer moved away from allowing bike shops/users to mount the strain gauges themselves due to in-field issues, now they mount the strain gauges at production and ship the crankset.

So whilst new cheaper powermeters are very encouraging, I only hope this does not come at a detriment to the quality of the device an a sensitive piece of electronic instrumentation.

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

davidalone wrote:hooray for open market!

If any of that crap actually makes it to the market and survives in the market, I'll be surprised.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

JackDaniels wrote:If any of that crap actually makes it to the market and survives in the market, I'll be surprised.

Please offer us your expert opinion as to why you feel the need to label these products 'that crap'.