New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mix123

by mix123

It seems a little strange that SRM is releasing this new crank without the new PM8. Word on the street is the PM8 will be coming out later in the year. So the customers that buy into the new crank now would be missing out on the PM8 in a few months? Pretty terrible customer service. Rechargeability is a big deal. Having to send your unit in is a major pain and seems pretty archaic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

mix123 wrote:It seems a little strange that SRM is releasing this new crank without the new PM8. Word on the street is the PM8 will be coming out later in the year. So the customers that buy into the new crank now would be missing out on the PM8 in a few months? Pretty terrible customer service. Rechargeability is a big deal. Having to send your unit in is a major pain and seems pretty archaic.

Meh, I'd call this par for the course.

Back in mid 2012, Sram released its new 10-speed Red for model year 2013. At the time, Sram said it wouldn't go to 11-speed. Then in January 2013, Sram announced it was releasing 11-speed, just 6 months or so after it said it wouldn't.

And just this year, Shimano released details on its new 9100 C40 rims, except when people started receiving the new clincher C40, the rim was the same dimensions as the old rim. It wasn't wider as promoted. Shimano then went back and changed the specs it had previously posted.

Given the rate at which things are updated and upgraded, if you keep holding out of the "better" model, you'll never purchase anything.

mix123

by mix123

topflightpro wrote:
mix123 wrote:It seems a little strange that SRM is releasing this new crank without the new PM8. Word on the street is the PM8 will be coming out later in the year. So the customers that buy into the new crank now would be missing out on the PM8 in a few months? Pretty terrible customer service. Rechargeability is a big deal. Having to send your unit in is a major pain and seems pretty archaic.

Meh, I'd call this par for the course.

Back in mid 2012, Sram released its new 10-speed Red for model year 2013. At the time, Sram said it wouldn't go to 11-speed. Then in January 2013, Sram announced it was releasing 11-speed, just 6 months or so after it said it wouldn't.

And just this year, Shimano released details on its new 9100 C40 rims, except when people started receiving the new clincher C40, the rim was the same dimensions as the old rim. It wasn't wider as promoted. Shimano then went back and changed the specs it had previously posted.

Given the rate at which things are updated and upgraded, if you keep holding out of the "better" model, you'll never purchase anything.

Ya I know it happens. It's just somewhat disappointing and will push loyal customers to other brands. I'm not sure this is the right time for them to be screwing around when other meters are just as good and cheaper with more features.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

+1 on that. My own purchase had me thinking PMs are being pushed toward OEM placement , and with the kind of deep discounting all FSA kit eventually attracts , the arse could be about to drop out of PM prices, at least at the lower end. It already offers total power, and a crank for the price of left-only Stages or similar.

If I made a good PM , I'd be keeping the price up for now. Not much sunshine left in which to make hay.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

SRM jumped the shark years ago.....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

maquisard

by maquisard

Have to say I agree, SRM used to be the gold standard. Now it is just a company circling the plug-hole.

Powertap was doing the same but managed to re-invent itself with the chainring and pedal power-meters. SRM needs to do the same and adjust it's product offering to what the market wants.

jeffy

by jeffy

are you sure the FSA powerbox isnt a FSA branded zwatt PM?

https://www.teamzwatt.com/shop/product/ ... wer-meter/

mai

by mai

nemeseri wrote:Where did you get the blue cover thing? AFAIK they ship all of their current PMs (including the new Dura Ace 9100) with red cover and they include an optional gray cover: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... wer+Meters

from the official japanese website:

http://pioneer-cyclesports.com/jp/produ ... m910v.html
右送信機カバーはメタリックブルー、メタリックレッドの2色を準備。

translation: metallic blue and metallic red covers for the right transceiver included
on the optional components the grey cover is listed with a price of 2400 JPY (~20USD). so that could be an extra line in the budget to keep your bike extra stealth :)

might be different for other markets (?) or its possible that they are still clearing inventory of the PM910H/H2

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Took delivery of the Powerbox last night. So far, seems well enough made, rings stiff enough, power measure seems entirely reasonable and doesn't get foxed by my deliberate attempts to get bad readings from it. Rings shift well enough, about as well as one might expect. Fitted in about 10 minutes into BB30 with FSA spacers, chainline/FD adjustment (tiny) included. It looks better IRL than in photos, too.

Minor concern with the battery cover, which is some kind of rubbery plastic held by spring clips, akin to what the Power2Max NG has over the USB port. Didn't strike me as durable or particularly well thought out. Time will tell. I've been wrong before.

All in all, I'm quite impressed initially. I've a little early adapter regret, knowing it'll get discounted to all hell once stock levels improve, but both companies have produced a functional product that cuts the price floor.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Looks a whole like a battery powered NG....
Using Tapatalk

Delorre

by Delorre

MisterMuncher wrote:Took delivery of the Powerbox last night. So far, seems well enough made, rings stiff enough, power measure seems entirely reasonable and doesn't get foxed by my deliberate attempts to get bad readings from it. Rings shift well enough, about as well as one might expect. Fitted in about 10 minutes into BB30 with FSA spacers, chainline/FD adjustment (tiny) included. It looks better IRL than in photos, too.

Minor concern with the battery cover, which is some kind of rubbery plastic held by spring clips, akin to what the Power2Max NG has over the USB port. Didn't strike me as durable or particularly well thought out. Time will tell. I've been wrong before.

All in all, I'm quite impressed initially. I've a little early adapter regret, knowing it'll get discounted to all hell once stock levels improve, but both companies have produced a functional product that cuts the price floor.

Did you weight it? I suppose the quoted weight of 585gr is without chainrings?

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I went with the alloy version, not the carbon. That weight is almost certainly without rings and mildly ambitious, given FSA quotes in the past.

The alloy with rings is a pretty hefty lump, probably the guts of a kilo.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

For a training beater its not an issue tho as long as its reliable :)
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

When are the Campy based power meters going to show up. Stages announced a Potenza one but their web site says contact dealer for availability. (You click on the button and it's broken.) Pioneer announced mail in options for Chorus, Record, and SR in September but it doesn't seem available yet.