New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Geoff wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 pm
Well, people can obviously say what they want about SRM, but it simply works. It offers dependable repeatability, which is all I want.
That's all anyone seems to say about P2Max for example, which is also a spider PM at between 1/5th to 1/3rd of the price...

Not dissing people who buy SRMs, hey, its your money and I'm one of the people running racing tubulars for training just because I can and I enjoy them even though there are significantly cheaper, faster, more dependable and more convenient clincher options out there.

If money was absolutely no object I'd probably buy an SRM origin just because of how absolutely gorgeous it looks, but given that money is an object for most buyers, SRM sure seem to have priced themselves way out of the market with very little or nothing to differentiate them from other PMs currently available...

Priit

by Priit

Look and SRM have teamed up to make pedal based powermeter. Adam Hansen has been testing it and has posted some pictures on Twitter today
KEO-G Power, SRM Proto

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Look and SRM have been working together since last year (or longer) - the initial product being the Origin crankset.

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/2370/srm- ... -with-look

The pedals are the next step. Look already tried powermeter pedals in partnership with Polar a couple of years back but it never really gained market traction due to the price and the fact that it was BLE only. SRM have a lot of work to catch-up with Garmin and Powertap and their pedal based offerings.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Looks suspiciously like they use pods...

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:03 am
Where are the pods? It is suspicious that the whole unit is not shown but is there more than that?

I see this as huge news. A-list power measurement at the pedal would be excellent.

maquisard

by maquisard

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:55 am
I see this as huge news. A-list power measurement at the pedal would be excellent.
It will be released as a product in three years time just as SRM goes out of business.

c60rider

by c60rider

maquisard wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:08 am
ghisallo2003 wrote:
It will be released as a product in three years time just as SRM goes out of business.
If my experience of SRM is anything to go by you might not be far wrong. Enquired about getting a Campag with the Campag logo rather than the new SRM logo they said no problem. They kept sending me invoices for the power meter I kept replying with some simple clarification questions one of which was how to pay :noidea: . 4 weeks on with no reply to those I lost interest and pulled the trigger on another P2M at half the price of the SRM which was delivered in 4 days from first contact.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ghisallo2003 wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:03 am
Where are the pods? It is suspicious that the whole unit is not shown but is there more than that?

Because batteries take up space and KeO Max style pedals are pretty minimalistic. I suppose they could be really svelte rechargeables...

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

The FCC ID's don't exist. Original Look power pedals with Polar holding the FCC responsibility, and there is nothing new from SRM. The WCS is the SRM identifier for FCC, but the ID is not valid.

The IC id points to 7761A which is also just the SRM identifier. However what's interesting is the SRM PC8 isn't listed under an WCS identifier, instead the 06R2398 identifier which is a Dynastream N5 module. This N5 module is too large to fit inside the pedal. The SRM Origin 8 shares the PCB from the 2010 PM7 because it shares the same FCC ID (WCS-PM7), and there are no permessive changes on file (so no non RF component changes) so it's the same as the old PM7. Miniaturization requires very small designed that generally preclude the usage of modules.

The Look developed new ANT+ / BLE pod also used the 06R2398 identifier which again is the Dynastream N5 Module. Essentially it took some super clever creativity to get the Vector 3 PCB down to the size and positioning inside the axle. The PCB is tiny as shown by the FCC pictures. The whole thing is about 8mm wide and 15 - 20mm long. Which is smaller than the N5 Module. Transmitting out the axle is RF wizardary that isn't solved by shoving a module in a metal tube. It frankly doesn't work.

In addition, the physical design is identical to the Look power ANT+/BLE meter in terms of the side fixing bolt, the shape of the striker plate, and area where the sticker is affixed. Some quick gimp (re free photoshop), dimensioning shows dimensions matching the Look ANT+/BLE pedals.

So I'll go out on a limb and suggest that these will have pods that aren't shown.

At best, hopefully they added a second set of strain gages like Favero did for Assioma over BePro to remove the whole alignment problem and jam nut and crazy tools and alignment features.

maquisard

by maquisard

Good points Keith, you are right on the FCC stuff. An awful lot about new (and current) products can be learned from trawling the FCC ID database. It is also quite remarkable how many products are marked witht he ANT+ and BLE logos despite the fact they shouldn't or use FCC,CSA,CE logos and IDs without actually having gone under that certification!

Really enjoy you blog by the way so keep it up!

TonyM

by TonyM

Which blog? :shock:
Could you post the link?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

TonyM wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:48 pm
Which blog? :shock:
Could you post the link?
Should be the one:

http://keithhack.blogspot.com/
Official cafe stop tester

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

maquisard wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 am
Really enjoy you blog by the way so keep it up!
Thanks. I appreciate whenever I find someone who has read my work.

Sadly, I haven't been writing for the blog much after the project became a commercial product. It's sporadic at best and non PM related -- has to be, and now months (years?) between posts. I haven't been able to find a new "voice" for the blog since the work became a commercial product.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Meh, if SRM (Look) pedals would have pods, as Keith's analysis implies, they again are going to be late to the party and I wonder how many units they actually would sell, compared to Favero & Garmin
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Agreed. The only reason to buy SRM now is the aesthetics so pods would be a total loss of positioning and would indeed cross-over into the broader reputation. I can only hope you are wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com