Campag Shamal 2-way fit vs regular Shamal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hotshod

by hotshod

Back in January I was inquiring about running tubeless Fusion3 tyres with NON 2-Way Zonda wheels.....

I have since made the move to tubeless on these wheels and could not be happier. The ride comfort has vastly improved compared to the UltremoZX I was using, particularly as I ride in an area that has roads made from large coarse aggregate and often breaking up and in poor condition, rural NSW.

If I had the opportunity to buy 2-Way wheels I definitely would, but I had no trouble at all mounting the Hutch F3 tyres on my existing Zonda wheels ,that were virtually new, and the tyres went on by hand. I was lucky to own a compressor, so inflating was easy.
I took my time with them and experimented with different valve brands , settling on the Stan's 44mm because they are conical where they mount and provide a better seal than the Hutchinson valves that are more retangular at the base.
I rode this combination for 3 weeks before I finally added the sealant, by then I was happy with the air holding, probably dropping about 3-8psi per day. Now even less post sealant.
The only slight hiccup that the non 2-w Zondas caused was that on the inner rim there was a pin hole that had to be sealed in order to hold air . This tiny tiny hole would have been there when the welding was done in manufacture.I sealed this with 2 layers of cloth tape about 60mm x 20mm, I was concerned that the sealant might undermine the the tape , but so far so good.
Remembering that these wheels do not have any spoke access holes on the inner rim , this also made me think the setup would work, ( not having to use layers of air tight rim tape ).

To this point I have done about 800k trouble free.
I hardly ever got a puncture before , occassionally damaged sidewalls but only one puncture in the last 7K ks, so my motivation for trying the tubeless was not for punture protection but the added comfort and the safety of not getting a flat on some of our long and fast decends on dodgy surfaces. Decending feels heaps better compared to the Ultremos at 120psi that would be skiterish at fast downhill speeds on a coarse broken surface.

I started with 105 psi F/R ..... then down to 90/100 ....currently at 85/95...... I'm at 75kg
Setup on a carbon Bianchi running Chorus.
As previously stated I am extremely happy with this new setup , I'm just surprised more folks aren't using it.

Cheers
hotshod
Alstonville, NSW, Australia
All this from an old bloke who wishes he was faster and could climb better...... enjoy the ride!

Zachariah

by Zachariah

Good info, Hotshod! I'm going to try tubeless with my non-2-way fit Shamal, with Hutchinson Fusion 3. But are the Hutchinson just as fast as the Ultremo ZX?
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hotshod

by hotshod

Zachariah wrote:Good info, Hotshod! I'm going to try tubeless with my non-2-way fit Shamal, with Hutchinson Fusion 3. But are the Hutchinson just as fast as the Ultremo ZX?

Hi Zach
I believe they are , but it's really hard to tell because they fell so different,95% of rattles on the bike stop because the way the tyre rides the bumps. I think the Ultremos at high pressures of 120+ felt so skitish that you think they are fast , but really they are dancing across the tarmac.
I know the Hutch F3 roll just as quick if not quicker than others in our group ride, to the point that other riders have commented to me as how I can roll away from them when not pedalling, and that is with me running 90/100 compared to their 120 F/R .

I also suspect that Hutchinson has responded to earlier criticism about F2 &F3 being too easily cut (back in 2008-2010) and have now built a tyre with tough hard centre strip on the tyre tread, this will no doubt last longer and be more robust... but there is a trade off here, I have noticed this tyre will slip and loose traction on certain types of coarse agregate in the wet when climbing out of the saddle.....I think it is because of the addition of the hard centre tread (maybe). I have had other tryes that also did this( slick Maxxis and Vittoria ) but not the Ultremo. But in all other circumstances I cannot fault the Hutch F3.
Dry weather, belting down a steep decend they are incredibly sure footed and confidence inspiring.

I can only suggest you try them, there is a good chance you won't go back if they prove reliable for you.

Cheers
hotshod in OZ

May'12 edit.....
I now have 1200 km on the F3 setup and I just ordered a spare set of Hutch F3 just in case I have any failures because I cannot imagine going back to regular HP clinchers..... these tubeless just ride so smoothly and feel so comfy on the rough roads where I live.
I have been closely monitoring the F3 for surface cuts and damage and they are standing up very well to my riding environment, nothing to report...
Just my 2 cents worth!!!
All this from an old bloke who wishes he was faster and could climb better...... enjoy the ride!

hotshod

by hotshod

In the interest of reviving this forum and providing an update on my experience of using Hutch F3 tubeless tyres , plus I'm interested in what others have say.

I have now totally worn out a Hutch F3, 5100 klms without a puncture, the last 400 kls had patches of canvas showing.
Once the decision to change the tyre was made I thought it only fitting to sacrifice the worn out tyre.
Using an engineers pick I punctured the top section of tread 4 times , each time the tyre sealed within a second or so, I also rechecked the psi after 4 attacks, I started with 90psi and 4 punctures later there was still 80psi.....
Next I used an engineers scribing tool 5mm shank, same result, seal took a bit longer, then followed using the same scribe thru the sidewall from one side to the other, this again took longer to seal about 3 seconds. At this point I checked pressure, and it was down to 40psi , I tried to reinflated and it blew out the sidewall punctures at 55psi,then resealed, I guess the sealant might need more than 1 min to cure.Then followed a 7mm knife cut to one of the patches of canvas, same result, pressure was down to 40psi but no doubt you could have ridden the bike home.
I can't tell you how impressed I was , I know like most I have seen videos of Stan from NoTubes doing the same thing but it has more impact when you do it yourself.

I know I'm a fanboy of this technology, but I can't understand why using tubeless isn't the norm.

cheers from OZ