Is it worth switching itm mantis for ritchey wcs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Right now, I am running an ITM mantis stem at 110 mm, with a 7 degree drop i think. I never got the chance to weigh it, but it's listed on this site as being 190 g.

I found this guy on craigslist with a ritchey wcs stem he's trying to get rid of, it is 100 mm, so 10 mm shorter than my current stem. The biggest draw for me is that it has a 17 degree drop. Right now my saddle is only 2-3 cm above my stem and handlebars. He only wants 40$ for it. The only catch is that it is an older wcs stem. He says he's weighed it at 147 grams, which isn't much of a weight saving for 40$. Oh, and also it's 1 cm shorter than what i have, but i don't think that'll be a big deal.

Superlite

by Superlite

Why don't you just buy a brand new version? That way you get the right size and save even more weight.

a 110mm X 26.0 WCS weighs 103g.

They are on ebay all the time for 69.95, make sure youi get the 2004 and up though, you can identify it by colored decals, not silver ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Superlite wrote:Why don't you just buy a brand new version? That way you get the right size and save even more weight.

a 110mm X 26.0 WCS weighs 103g.

They are on ebay all the time for 69.95, make sure youi get the 2004 and up though, you can identify it by colored decals, not silver ones.

Can you get it in a 17 degree drop? I mean, I thought they discontinued them.

Superlite

by Superlite

They still make them, they are just hard to find. Ask you local LBS, they should be able to get them.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Yeah, because a couple weeks ago I could have gotten the team price on them, but for some reason they didn't have the 17 degree version available. And I'll be damned if I'm going to spend 70$ on the exact same stem i could have gotten for 35.

Do you think I should pick up the stem I found on craigslist?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Personally, I wouldnt do it, I would pony up and get the much better and lighter version.