HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:04 am 

Just bought a titanium frame bike and it came with a steel fork that's too wide for the wheels I want to use. I'm sourcing companies to custum build a fork for me and it caught my interest that almost noone rides titanium forks. It seems like a good metal choice for forks, you know, lighter than steel though not as light as aluminum.

Why don't more people ride them?

DG1

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:04 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:32 am 

You see more Titanium cyclocross forks, for the dampening properties. I'm not sure why you don't see them more on road bikes but I have some ideas. Heavier than carbon, and probably more expensive to produce. Possibly flexy?? Given the materials that are available for forks, people/manufacturers have probably figured out what works best - and so far thats carbon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:06 am 

dannyg1 wrote:
Just bought a titanium frame bike and it came with a steel fork that's too wide for the wheels I want to use. I'm sourcing companies to custum build a fork for me and it caught my interest that almost noone rides titanium forks. It seems like a good metal choice for forks, you know, lighter than steel though not as light as aluminum.

Why don't more people ride them?

DG1

There's no real reason why anyone in road racing should use titanium to make a fork. It isn't a good choice for fork - it is flexy, so you'll need a fork that is big and thick, it is expensive to produce and what weight savings it may achieve over steel is negated by the fact that composite ones are gona be just as light if not lighter - at better stiffness and smaller diameters.

Weight isn't the only consideration when using materials... gota consider the characteristics of the material.

There are lots of industry components that have form over function (like carbon weave finishes, etc), but forks isn't something to mess with with exotic materials because some people think titanium is all cool and stuff. Just another metal in my book that requires a lot of energy to produce...