Campagnolo Bora Ultra Ceramic Upgrade Possible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mtbnoob

by mtbnoob

WideAMG wrote:campagnolo CULT bearing upgrade kit available here for $450 USD

http://www.cbike.com/index.asp?PageActi ... rodID=3079

The same thing is available here for US$224 but the price is for 1 kit.

http://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=HU9885

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

terrain

by terrain

Did anyone to the upgrade?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Not CULT but I swapped the stock bearing in my Shamal Ultras for the Campagnolo Ceramics... and in all honesty.. noticed S-F-A...

brumbar

by brumbar

fdegrove wrote:
mtbnoob wrote:
Hi,

As said before, the only part of the upgrade that seems impossible (to me at least) to carry out yourself is to replace the cups from the Bora Ultra hubs with the Cronitect ones.
;)

Interesting tolls to replace the the cups at 1.16 in the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu9TnP_tgEw

HakanC

by HakanC

fdegrove wrote:In all honnesty I don't think that particular upgrade alone made me ride faster.
Reducing friction in all the other bearings as well (BB, pulley wheels and freehub) makes the difference much more noticeable.

I have read somwhere that half of all improvement in drivetrain friction can be had in the pulleys.

/Håkan
SWEDEN

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

HakanC wrote:I have read somwhere that half of all improvement in drivetrain friction can be had in the pulleys.

/Håkan
SWEDEN

You're right. Half of zero is zero. :twinkle:

syce

by syce

soloist carbon

brumbar

by brumbar

I decide to upgrade my Fulcrum rear wheel to CULT level and purchase 8 pcs upgrade cit from http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&ac ... sku=HU9885

I will make the extractor and press tools by myself and believe that I will be abble to replace the stock cups with the new cronitect cups.

I ask a Fulcrum what kind of oil i must used for best results and here is the answer:
"with Cult bearings technology we suggest to use only a high quality, 100% synthetic, lithium based OIL with high rust protection qualities"
I try to surch in Google but can't find information for lithium oil, but only for lithium based grease, so i need your advise and help from where i can find this type of oil. Any suggestions are wellcome.
Thank you in advance.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

with Cult bearings technology we suggest to use only a high quality, 100% synthetic, lithium based OIL with high rust protection qualities"

No such thing as lithium based oil.
The description of the type of oil to use isn't really helping either.

I'd recommend Dyupont de Nemours Krytox 200 grease for ceramic hybrid bearings. It's as slick as oil with extremely low friction.

BTW, what model of Fulcrum wheels are you going to upgrade.

I know of a shop that sells all the necessary tools if you're interested.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

brumbar

by brumbar

Thanks for the reply.
The wheels are F Racing Speed model.
About the tools - yes I'm interesting in case if I failed with my home made tools.

About the lubricant - what you think about this http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/e ... grease.htm - it is easyer to find and they promise it is pure Dupont product.

And again - how useless is Campy/Fulcrum support - shame for the italians :shock:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Since the inception of the Bora wheels with carbon fibre hubs Campa hasn't listed any spare part number for the cups used in these hubs.

Although I'm sure these can be replaced, I'm very uncertain about how these can be safely replaced with the same tools and techniques used for the aluminium alloy hubs.

Keeping this uncertainty in mind I can assure you that moving from plain vanilla Racing Speed/Bora to USB or CULT level will only pay off if you change the lubrication of the bearings from the usual Galli Lithium based grease to a Krytox base lubricant.

This type of lubricant will yield more benefit than any oil based lubicrant in this kind of set up IMHO as oil will just leave the bearings past the seals leaving the bearings in a dry state sooner or later.

Ciao, :wink:

camber66

by camber66

Hi!
Who could replace cups from carbon bora hub?
My old bora ultra cups is wear and need to replace.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The only places that can have that done for you are the certified Campagnolo Techcenters.
Not sure about Estonia...

Either way, it's very unlikely for the cups to be shot. The cones, yes but the cups?

Do not attempt to remove the cups yourself as you may very well end up with broken hubs...

Ciao, ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

camber66

by camber66

Thanks a lot.
But I'm from Russia, not Estonia :D