Fork weighing

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Beeble

by Beeble

I am trying to weigh my 2004 Scott CR1 Team Issue fork and am wondering whether I should remove the marked thing in order to gain the proper weight.

It weighs 450g with the thing.

Thanx.

Paco Bonnin

by Paco Bonnin

Base plate is still there too, btw.
BURN YOUR LEGS, NOT OIL!

by Weenie

homegrown

by homegrown

Just weigh it with those things and say "with expander plug and race." Either way those things will be there so you might as well just include the weight with the fork and save yourself some work.

Beeble

by Beeble

I romoved the fork crown race for the weighing.

So does a proper weight include the expander plug or not? How much does the plug weigh?
Last edited by Beeble on Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNuT

by PNuT

at a guess.... weight will be *fork alone* nothing else!!!!!!

@ 450 grams...... find some new ones regardless ov the expander & race :lol:

MGS9500

by MGS9500

The weight on the CR1 from 2004 has been discussed on this board. Apparently, the CR1 Pro Issue fork was rebadged and sold as a Team Issue fork. The difference in weight is significant.

I called Scott and told them the CR1 fork I had exceeded the 360 grams noted on the web site.

They pre -paid for the old fork to be picked up and sent me a 2005 CR1 fork for free. The new one weighs 374 grams, uncut, or about 360 grams, cut.

Paco Bonnin

by Paco Bonnin

^^^Wow, that really is top notch customer service ^^^

I think the "right" way of weighing a fork is removing all nuts and expanders and listing the diameter and lenght of the steerer next to the weight.

The vast majority of forks that I have weighed are heavier than claimed :roll:
BURN YOUR LEGS, NOT OIL!

Beeble

by Beeble

MGS9500 wrote:The weight on the CR1 from 2004 has been discussed on this board. Apparently, the CR1 Pro Issue fork was rebadged and sold as a Team Issue fork. The difference in weight is significant.

I called Scott and told them the CR1 fork I had exceeded the 360 grams noted on the web site.

They pre -paid for the old fork to be picked up and sent me a 2005 CR1 fork for free. The new one weighs 374 grams, uncut, or about 360 grams, cut.

That is just why I started the whole thing anyway. I called my distrubutor yesterday (friday) and will be reciving an answer on monday (hopefully). Will keep you informed.

Hm. They have sent you the 2005 fork. Doesn't it have the wide wave carbon pattern. How does it look on the 2004 frame? Could you post a picture?

spoke n words

by spoke n words

Forks are weighed without the plug and race. Those two items are usually weighed with the headset. Also, if companies list a weight for a fork and dont mention the steerer length then that fork is probably the lightest one they produced that day and cut to the smallest length they allow. On a side note, Rock Shox used to weigh all their forks without steerer tubes which is one reason a site like this (with weight postings and all) is so valuable.

by Weenie

MGS9500

by MGS9500

The new fork has the wide carbon pattern but unless you stand 1 foot away from the fork, you really don't notice the difference.

Many people change the fork on ther CR1 and other bikes.The upgrading to a non-stock but lighter fork is common. The ability to match the carbon weave is impossible.

The 2005 fork is different only in the weave, and that difference is almost imperceptible unless, as I noted, you are on top of the bike.

It's funny that there are so many aspects of bike "bling" that have to be considered. The item must be light, look cool and match in color and style. I have, for the moment, given up on being too compulsive and have decided to stick to component quality and weight. A little mismatch in carbon weave has little affect on my purchase.

As of this moment, by CR1 has a Easton SLX fork, about 300 grams, with the new CR1 fork sitting on the table.

Of course, the crank carbon does not match the fork(Easton), does not match the seatpost(3T), which does not match the cranks (FSA), which does not match the rails on the saddle (Fizik).