HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:23 pm 
Shop Owner

Hi WWs. I have an EC90 crankset I was going to install with Campy 11-speed parts.
However, after hearing some rumblings about compatibility issues, I spoke to Easton. Here is what I was told:

"Officially the chain rings / cranks are only compatible with 9 / 10 speed drive trains at this time. We have just finished making changes to the chain rings to make them 11spd compatible, however it will be some time however before they are in production due to the high level of 9/10 speed rings in stock. The chain rings will be marked with a 10 / 11 speed laser etch instead of the current 9/10 speed.
For more information there is a long thread on Velonnews.com on this exact topic."

Wasn't able to find that thread, but any thoughts on this?
I'm thinking of sticking with a Campy crank, but already have the EC90, so would prefer to go that route, ideally.

THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:26 pm 

I'm sure it will be fine. I've used a Campy 10 speed crank with 11 speed and it forks perfectly. I've seen others using Vuma Quad cranks with 11 speed and no issues either. I'd say just put them on there and try it out.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:26 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:04 pm 

I'm really on the fence here. I just built up a Record 11 bike with a 10 speed Record crankset. I gotta say... the shifting up front kind of sucks. I'm unsure if this is a build issue, or if there really is a compatibility issue... if I'm unable to tweak it perfectly, my next move is to wait for the 11 speed rings to become available...

My advice is to try the Easton, if it's already used, or if you got a good enough deal on it where selling it slightly used would still recoup your losses. If it's a situation where you will need to return the Easton unused in order to fund the Campy cranks, then I wouldn't risk it... I'd just return it and go Campy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:23 pm 

I certainly had no problem using a 2008 Campy 10 crank with an 11 speed drivetrain. I used both a 2008 QS FD and the new 11 speed FD. Both shifted just fine.

The true difference is in the chainring spacing being .6mm closer on the 11 speed model, with .1mm thinner teeth.

That said, I've now removed the 10 speed crank and installed the 11 speed. Never got a chance to try the 11 speed crank before winter hit.

Post subject: one other option
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:32 pm 
Shop Owner

Thanks guys!
There is also one other option.
The new Fulcrum RRS crank seems identical to the SR, save for the $125 difference, and the fact that Campy claims the Fulcrum rings are designed for 10 speed and the Campy rings for 11...but I doubt they are really different at all.
So, a Fulcrum RRS crankset might be an option too, and will save some cash over the EC90 or SR.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 pm 

what is the price for the easton crankset in europe?

Post subject: Hmm
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:22 pm 
Shop Owner

Not sure...they're going for around $500 on fleebay.
I'd sell mine for less than that.

Cip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:19 pm 

why?
not happy with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:21 pm 

if it's about the 11speed it is just a joke from easton so that u would buy new chainrings...
there is a guy o this forum that has a pina f4:13 with super record and FSA cranks and chainrings and it works absolutely perfect...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:37 am 

Ok peoople. Next week I'm going to 'upgrade' my bike's drivetrain with all SR parts, except the faithful 2007 Record UT crank. I'll going to report back the performance as well as compatibility issues, if any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:06 am 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
ipenguinking, please put it in the big-big combination (extreme cross-chaining) and wail on it up the steepest hill you can find. Repeat after a few thousand km on the drivetrain. Report back to the forum.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to shift under great pressure from the big-big to the little ring.

Last edited by HammerTime2 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:38 am 

CippoForLife wrote:
For more information there is a long thread on Velonnews.com on this exact topic."
Wasn't able to find that thread, but any thoughts on this?

here is the article.
whatever you do listen to DaveS. he's the man.

"Dear readers,
With this feedback, I have to officially recommend against using an 11-speed chain with 10-speed chainrings, at least Campagnolo (and Fulcrum) ones. And Campagnolo is very clear in its warranty policy that nothing is covered unless the entire 11-speed group is used together — no substitutions.

However, I've been riding for months on 10-speed cranks with the 11-speed Super Record group, and I've never had any problem. I've used it with both SRAM Red chainrings and Shimano Ultegra SL chainrings without a hint of shifting hesitation, much less getting stuck. And as you may have read in my article on Shimano Di2 electronic in the current print edition of VeloNews, I shifted this combination under extreme loads repeatedly, trying to duplicate the performance of the electronic front derailleur with a cable-actuated one.

As I feel is my duty, I will continue to try cross-compatibility issues, since lots of readers ask me about them. They expect an answer other than the one the manufacturer would give, which is of course always to the effect that all of the parts need to be used together as a system.

I avoid advising people on setups I have not tried, but I've tried this one pretty thoroughly, albeit not with Campy 10-speed chainrings. Similarly, when the change from 9-speed to 10 came, I used 9-sped cranks on 10-speed groups interchangeably for years and never had a problem.

As I have switched Campy, SRAM, and Shimano 10-speed cranks all around on each other's 10-speed groups for years without problems, I would not have expected that it would have mattered which brand of 10-speed cranks you used with the 11-speed chain, but perhaps it does. I have to say that I’m very surprised. The chain is 0.5mm narrower than the Campy 10-speed chain. That’s not much.

I remember hearing once about a chain jamming between chainrings when I was racing —I think it was at the 1981 U.S. nationals time trial in Bear Mountain, New York. Somebody told me that a top rider, whom I had expected to do very well in the TT, had jammed his chain between his chainrings; he had been using a 7-speed chain on a 6-speed Dura-Ace Dyna-Drive crank.

I was also on a Shimano-sponsored team, racing on Dura-Ace EX and AX, but I was still using the same 180mm Campy Super Record crank that I’d used for 5-speed and 6-speed (because Shimano did not offer a crank longer than 175mm back then). Those were some big differences in chain widths as the widths started coming down back then, but nobody thought twice about mixing cranks from different generations with them, and that’s the only incident I remember of somebody jamming a chain.

Shimano’s spacing between cogs has narrowed from 3.70mm for 5- and 6-speed, to 3.10mm for 7-speed, 3.00mm for 8-speed, 2.56mm for 9-speed, and 2.35mm for 10-speed. When SunTour introduced narrow Ultra-7 freewheels in the early 1980s, Shimano countered with wider freehub bodies that fit seven widely spaced cogs (at 3.70mm apart) and the wide 6-speed Shimano chain. But at the time, we all started using Sedis Sport chains, because they were cheap (four bucks!), they worked well, and, most importantly, they were narrow and worked with any of the new 7-speed narrow systems. And it never occurred to any of us at the time to switch cranks because we were using that chain. Sedis merged with Maillard, which was acquired by Sachs, which was purchased by SRAM, and so the Sedis chain lives on!

Campagnolo’s 5.9mm-wide 10-speed chain (its first-generation 10-speed chains were 6.1mm wide) allows 10 cogs to fit in the same space that used to only accept nine with the wider 9-speed chain and cogset, and now the even narrower 5.4mm wide 11-speed chain allows 11 cogs to fit in that same space. The thickness of the spacers on either side of each cog has come down as far as 2.2mm with 11-speed, whereas the width of each chain roller and thickness of each cog has stayed the same. The tooth-to-tooth distance on Campagnolo 9-speed is 4.55mm, 4.15mm on Campagnolo 10-speed, and 3.9mm on Campagnolo 11-speed. Chainring tooth spacing is hard to measure, because of the height difference between the two rings, but the spacing between cogs is only 0.25mm less on 11-speed than on 10-speed! That’s not much.

One final note: When I told Dave Batka, the president of Wheels Manufacturing, about this jammed chain, he said: “I hate to say it, Lennard, but I can’t believe this at all. I’ve got 600 miles on my new 11-speed chain with 10-speed chainrings and it has never even come close to jamming in between the chainrings. You may quote me, if you wish.”

So there you have it, from both sides of the debate. Forewarned is forearmed.
Lennard"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:40 am 

Sasha011 wrote:
there is a guy o this forum that has a pina f4:13 with super record and FSA cranks and chainrings and it works absolutely perfect...

don't listen to him, he's a joke. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:33 am 

Well, my 11 speed with 10 speed Campy cranks won't shift from the 39 to the 53. Just won't do it, no way, no how. I'm pretty pissed, and wondering what the f#ck to do... :x

Little bit heated about the situation right now...

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:33 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:05 pm 

@ wideAMG :lol:

Go to page 1, 2  Next